Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Greco Day 2 thread...draws are out

Recommended Posts

Draws are out for Day 2. All brackets are 32-40 guys, but all of our guys drew directly into the Round of 32:

Coleman gets 2018 bronze medalist, the #4 seed from host Kazakhstan in round 1. Should he pull the upset, he'd have an Indian or a Bulgarian in the R16.

Joe Rau has Sunil of India followed by a 2018 junior world silver from Switzerland or a Belarussian. The #1 Ukrainian would likely await in the quarters.

Hancock as the 97kg #3 starts his campaign versus a Ukrainian. Former 85kg world champ Noumonvi of France isn't washed up at 36, finishing top 10 at 97kg at worlds the last two years. He or 2017 Euro champ Baldauf of Norway would be the 2nd round opponent. Never any easy matchups at this weight in Greco. With northern and eastern Europe being all-in in Greco, it means there are a couple dozen absolute physical brutes at this weight.

Edited by maligned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, airmail said:

Coleman pulls off a tf on the 4 seed & bronze medalist, nice!

Awesome result! He should be favored in round 2. Winning that would put him in VERY favorable position to find his way into a medal match one way or another.

Edited by maligned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oof...it all comes crashing down.

Coleman gets controlled 5-0.

Rau gives up a narrow lead late and gets gutted for 8 and the tech loss.

Hancock gets launched into oblivion with 45 seconds left and falls, 6-2. 

On to the waiting game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maligned said:

Oof...it all comes crashing down.

Coleman gets controlled 5-0.

Rau gives up a narrow lead late and gets gutted for 8 and the tech loss.

Hancock gets launched into oblivion with 45 seconds left and falls, 6-2. 

On to the waiting game.

Wouldn't say he got controlled. Definitely thought the other guy should've been put down as his only points were scored in the beginning. Coleman kept getting on top after the guy would attempt a headlock that it appeared had been stopped and each time they stood them back up. Bulgarian blocked off the majority of the match besides the headlocks.

How did you see it differently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Relentless125 said:

Wouldn't say he got controlled. Definitely thought the other guy should've been put down as his only points were scored in the beginning. Coleman kept getting on top after the guy would attempt a headlock that it appeared had been stopped and each time they stood them back up. Bulgarian blocked off the majority of the match besides the headlocks.

How did you see it differently?

I just meant in terms of score, the match was in his opponent's control 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. I have to give lindland some credit. We no longer look lost out there for the most part. We aren’t getting teched by non medalists anymore. 

We may not qualify any weight though at worlds. 

Coon has a terrible draw. The others going tomorrow Just might not be good enough. 

I like the fight but man 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Ok. I have to give lindland some credit. We no longer look lost out there for the most part. We aren’t getting teched by non medalists anymore. 

We may not qualify any weight though at worlds. 

Coon has a terrible draw. The others going tomorrow Just might not be good enough. 

I like the fight but man 

I thought top 6 qualify.  Is the rule only medalists?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow at 97kg there will be a rematch of the 2017 World's finals and 2018 World's semi-finals:  Musa Evloev vs. Artur Aleksanyan.  

 

They are currently 1-1, hopefully Evloev can exact revenge and claim the gold this time - as Aleksanyan did in 2017.  I think the winner of this will be the Olympic champion.  There really isn't any other wrestlers who can challenge them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Ok. I have to give lindland some credit. We no longer look lost out there for the most part. We aren’t getting teched by non medalists anymore. 

We may not qualify any weight though at worlds. 

Coon has a terrible draw. The others going tomorrow Just might not be good enough. 

I like the fight but man 

Another small takeaway: only Mango's loss from among the 6 losses from the Day 1 guys came to an opponent who didnt end up medaling. And Mango placed 7th, so there were positives for him too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Top 6 qualify. So far we are 0 for 3 in qualifying a Greco weight. 

And there aren't many other opportunities, right?

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure the remaining qualifiers only qualify the winner.  So Pan-Ams, with Cuba attending, could be hard to win at any of the Olympic weights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...