Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Greco Day 3...Coon, Smith, Hafizov

Draws are out for Day 3. All 3 are into the Round of 32 

Hafizov and Smith both avoid seeded wrestlers until the quarters.

Coon should win first round against Meng of China, but he'll probably have multiple world-title winner Kayaap of Turkey in the second round. Assuming Kayaap wins the half-bracket as expected, Coon will need wins over the Chilean that just teched him and probably the Georgian and Azerbaijani--all 3 much tougher than anyone he beat last year at worlds. Very difficult draw.

Edited by maligned

Geesh. Bad loss by Coon. Hafizov takes out Germany and moves on. He's got 2018 bronze Temirov from Ukraine in the R16 and the #1 Russian if he reaches the quarters.

Smith up shortly on Mat D against the European runner-up from Germany.

Edited by maligned

Smith falls 5-3 and like Coon has very little chance to be brought back in. This was I think our 4th loss where it simply came down to who had better par terre defense. He significantly misjudged how clear he was in trying to stand free and turned right into a big throw.

Edited by maligned

29 minutes ago, maligned said:

Martinez falls 5-3 and like Coon has very little chance to be brought back in. This was I think our 4th loss where it simply came down to who had better par terre defense. He significantly misjudged how clear he was in trying to stand free and turned right into a big throw.

You keep calling him Martinez. Patrick Martinez didn't make the team this year at 87kg. Patrick Smith is who is on the team at 77kg.

In terms of our chances for qualifying the weights next year at Pan Am's, the good news at 130 is that Pino of Cuba has qualified and Acosta should advance to a 50-50 matchup in the repechage tomorrow. If both of those are out of the way, there's no excuse for us not to qualify that weight. 

Our chances were also helped by Borrero at 67kg qualifying for Cuba.

The super-tough Ecuadorian Montano at 60kg also still has a shot to qualify.

So why didn't Nowry qualify the weight?   Is the lowest weight at Greco not an Olympic or are the criteria different compared to freestyle?

EDIT - says above that Nowry's weight isn't an Olympic, ignore.

Edited by Gantry

Wow.

I knew the R1 matchup was going to be intense, and I expected the Chilean to make the finals, but it honestly didn't dawn on me what happened if Coon lost R1.

If we had some more of our 'A' athletes attempting Greco post-collegiate then I believe we'd be doing better right now.  Coon is right there.  He had a tough draw and a tough out.  He seems to always be a bridesmaid and never a bride, though.

This being said, I remember Gabe Dean had specified he would be focusing Greco.  I am assuming that has changed, with coaching and training with his brother/Dake.  We need more of our top wrestlers willing to focus on Greco in their non-collegiate season.

Until then it will be our fourth tier of wrestling domestically.  Behind Folkstyle, Freestyle, and Women's freestyle.

5 hours ago, Graverobber said:

77kg looks crazy! Vlasov (Ruß), Mursaliev (AZE) and Cengiz (Tur) all lost. 

Edit : I thought Smith will win over Schwarz but his 4pt throw was awesome. 

Father time has caught up to Vlasov. Maybe he'll get on a good Russian supplement program and make a run in 2020?

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

Father time has caught up to Vlasov. Maybe he'll get on a good Russian supplement program and make a run in 2020?

Maybe, I think he can medal at the Olympics but at first he need to qualify his weight. 

Did you guys noticed the top 6 in 97kg? All 6 are from Europe, which will give the "lesser" European guys a good chance to qualify at the qualifier tournament! 

6 hours ago, sidakova4991 said:

Borrero definitely should have gotten another passivity parterre.  He literally did nothing but move back in the second period.  Surkov can beat him and should do in the future.  

lol you guys expect them to hand all gold medals to Russia. don't you ? sometimes you have to score yourself.

another passivity parterre ? you really should improve your knowledge about wrestling rules before complaining !! per rules. only 2 passivity parterre is possible for a match. no  parterre for the 3rd passivity caution. and they only award it in case of 1-1 score. Surkov simply walked into the final with the dream draw he had. Borrero survived a brutal draw beating so many tough guys including Staebler and Ryu Han-su.