Jump to content
TheWrestlingGonad

why do we suck at greco?

Recommended Posts

Obviously everybody doesn't think it's boring. It's simple why. Kids in other countries start concentrating on it at a young age where as we don't start concentrating until after college. However, we are now starting to see some kids forgo college in the traditional sense and compete in Greco during the off-season while in college. It'll take a while but they're getting better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Others have already mentioned good reasons, but I’ll add one more. Most of our best athletes don’t have an interest in Greco. For example, I think if someone like Dake decided to focus on Greco full time rather than battle it out with JB then Cox, he would’ve had a couple world golds by now. Coon is an example of one of our top athletes giving Greco a try (not even full time) and he got a world silver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Others have already mentioned good reasons, but I’ll add one more. Most of our best athletes don’t have an interest in Greco. For example, I think if someone like Dake decided to focus on Greco full time rather than battle it out with JB then Cox, he would’ve had a couple world golds by now. Coon is an example of one of our top athletes giving Greco a try (not even full time) and he got a world silver

Dake was teched by Coleman in high school in greco. Many of the top freestylers have tried crossovers and done poorly. Parterre is at a whole other level in greco. At the OTC many of our world team members do crossover matches and the greco guys do pretty well against the freestylers particularly when it comes to wrestling on the mat.

I was looking for the Jordan Burroughs vs Justin Harry Lester practice match but can't find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Relentless125 said:

Dake was teched by Coleman in high school in greco. Many of the top freestylers have tried crossovers and done poorly. Parterre is at a whole other level in greco. At the OTC many of our world team members do crossover matches and the greco guys do pretty well against the freestylers particularly when it comes to wrestling on the mat.

I was looking for the Jordan Burroughs vs Justin Harry Lester practice match but can't find it.

I’m sure Dake would tech Coleman in freestyle, too. My point is if Dake committed to training Greco full time, he would likely do very well. I agree Greco and free are very different sports and there would definitely be a transition time for anyone to switch to Greco and find success. I just think if more of our top athletes had the interest in doing that, we would see better results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Relentless125 said:

Dake was teched by Coleman in high school in greco. Many of the top freestylers have tried crossovers and done poorly. Parterre is at a whole other level in greco. At the OTC many of our world team members do crossover matches and the greco guys do pretty well against the freestylers particularly when it comes to wrestling on the mat.

I was looking for the Jordan Burroughs vs Justin Harry Lester practice match but can't find it.

I think our freestyle team could beat our greco team at greco given a year of training. 

Downey could probably make it today but his ego is too big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hammerlockthree said:

Idk what you mean honeslty. Watch the guy wrestle, he's a greco guy, he just happens to also be a freak athlete, making him the exception to the rule. 

He is a freestyle guy. 

He is close with many of the Greco guys. If he was beating them in Greco he would be ok the greco team. I think you are severely over estimating his Greco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

He is a freestyle guy. 

He is close with many of the Greco guys. If he was beating them in Greco he would be ok the greco team. I think you are severely over estimating his Greco. 

From my perspective, you meant that I am underestimating the quality of our greco. I think Downey could rapidly make the team, but that doesn't get a lot of re-tweets so he doesn't care.

Edited by hammerlockthree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

From my perspective, you meant that I am underestimating the quality of our greco. I think Downey could rapidly make the team, but that doesn't get a lot of re-tweets so he doesn't care.

Ah I see. Fair enough. 

Our Greco is bad, but not that bad. Not a slight at Downey, it’s just a different sport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

I think our freestyle team could beat our greco team at greco given a year of training. 

THIS is why we suck at Greco. We think this is true and we think that our freestyle guys converting to Greco would produce Greco medals. You haven't been watching the matches. This hasn't been true for 15 years and we're falling further and further behind. The world landscape is FAR too technical compared to 25 years ago to just bounce back and forth between styles. Except in rare big-guy cases, the top 20 Greco studs at each weight class worldwide are specialists and have been since childhood. Except for MAYBE Dake, who's worked hard at a top-to-bottom freestyle game and knows how to convert international throws, not a single guy from our 10-man freestyle team would come close to making our Greco team with a year of training. And they would certainly not come close to medaling. It's a DIFFERENT SPORT with much less crossover than our middle school folkstyle coaches told us it has.

(and just for clarification...I adore freestyle and spend way more hours watching it. But I've been watching Greco closely at the top levels for the past 8 years and my perspective has shifted by miles. World development has passed us by.)

Edited by maligned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When a large percentage of wrestlers and wrestling fans in both folkstyle and freestyle seem not to be much interested in Greco, you know that is a sign of a problem.  And one that is going to be extremely hard to correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...