maligned

Day 4 (women)...Conder, Hildebrandt, Winchester, Francis

Draws are out for the first day of women's competition. 

Conder (50kg, Olympic weight) got an awful draw. Returning world 5th place in the R32 and returning bronze from China if she wins.

Top seed Hildebrandt (53kg, Olympic weight) has a bye and then gets the winner of Vietnam and Venezuela, both of whom she should beat. However, with the limitations of the seeding system, she'll have the favored Japanese in the quarters who beat out her country's top-ranked girl. 

#3 Winchester (55kg, non-Olympic) is in a smaller bracket and starts with an unproven Kyrgyz in the round of 16. She'd then get Lalita of India or Asian bronze Bat-Ochir of Mongolia.

Francis (72kg, non-Olympic) has a rattail match in a very small 12-girl bracket against Pan Am champ Slater of Canada. She'd then get the 2-seed from Ukraine.

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Was hoping Hildebrandt wouldn't have to pull any miraculous upsets until the finals. Either way :) excited for some medal potential!

Me too. Bummer that match won't be a final where she has nothing to lose. Now she has no room for error in trying to get another medal and qualify the weight.

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Me too. Bummer that match won't be a final where she has nothing to lose. Now she has no room for error in trying to get another medal and qualify the weight.

Is it not the same qualifying rules?  She can get 5th and qualify the weight right? 

12 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Is it not the same qualifying rules?  She can get 5th and qualify the weight right? 

Yes. If she loses in the quarters and Japan doesn’t win the semis, she won’t qualify the weight. 

She will also need to win at least 1 backside match to qualify it. 

Easiest path is to just beat Japan in the semis. I vote she tries that route

21 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Easiest path is to just beat Japan in the semis.

Quarterfinal, I think you meant.

35 minutes ago, Gantry said:

I just mean assuming she loses to Japan, she'll have must-win matches before and after that match to ensure she qualifies the weight where she might have felt she had more leeway if she'd made it to the quarters with the Japanese girl on the other side of the bracket.

31 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Yes. If she loses in the quarters and Japan doesn’t win the semis, she won’t qualify the weight. 

Maybe this is hubris, but I don't consider Japan losing in the semis to even be a possibility. 

8 minutes ago, maligned said:

Quarterfinal, I think you meant.

I just mean assuming she loses to Japan, she'll have must-win matches before and after that match to ensure she qualifies the weight where she might have felt she had more leeway if she'd made it to the quarters with the Japanese girl on the other side of the bracket.

Gotcha

Well, our Women are just going to have to bow their necks and fight tough. I know that our Greco guys pretty much started out well, but were unable to continue the momentum. Hopefully it'll be a different story with our women, and I believe that it should be, because all four of our women going tonight are battlers. 

Berezhna wins in the semis and pulls Francis back in...she'll wrestle for Bronze tomorrow morning against Paliha from China. Paliha is a former world 5th.

Hildebrandt will wrestle the winner of Mattsson from Sweden and Khavaldzhy from Ukraine. Mattsson is a multiple time world medalist - most recently an Olympic bronze in 16. She is a world champ from back in 09. Khavaldzhy was world Bronze back in 08. If Sarah wins that, she'll wrestle Prevolaraki from Greece, who won bronze in 12, and 17.