maligned

Day 4 (women)...Conder, Hildebrandt, Winchester, Francis

Berezhna wins in the semis and pulls Francis back in...she'll wrestle for Bronze tomorrow morning against Paliha from China. Paliha is a former world 5th.

Hildebrandt will wrestle the winner of Mattsson from Sweden and Khavaldzhy from Ukraine. Mattsson is a multiple time world medalist - most recently an Olympic bronze in 16. She is a world champ from back in 09. Khavaldzhy was world Bronze back in 08. If Sarah wins that, she'll wrestle Prevolaraki from Greece, who won bronze in 12, and 17.

I thought Mattson lost to Vinesh (or whatever) who then lost to Mukaida ...isnt she eliminated?

I bet you anything Stadnik is thanking the heavens Susaki isn't in the finals against her(I guess I can say that for Vuc as well) this year after getting teched by Susaki last year.

I think Stadnik finally breaks the drought and gets another gold again after 10 years of mainly losing to Hitomi Obara and Eri Tosaka in the finals of the WCs or Olympics.

3 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

No kidding, right?  I can't believe Irie didn't even place.

Sun from China and Stadnik are both no joke-both multiple time world medalists and former world champs. Irie might be the 3rd best in the weight but she had a brutal draw. 

Just now, Jon_Kozak said:

Sun from China and Stadnik are both no joke-both multiple time world medalists and former world champs. Irie might be the 3rd best in the weight but she had a brutal draw. 

That is very true.  Irie's base was way too high when she was trying to counter that single by Sun and had some frequent flier miles as a result.

USA is in the team race. We need Sarah to beat India (tough match). I think she wins the bronze if she beats Vinesh. 

We could win bronze at 72

Jacara could win gold

sarah making the bronze match is key points wise

tomorrow we have 4 medal contenders and a gold imo (Adeline). All Americans tomorrow should wrestle for a medal. Their draws are pretty good. Lots of fire power going tomorrow 

28 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

There is a reasonable chance we will wrestle for 7 medals in the first 7 opportunities we had. 

What do you mean "first 7 opportunities"?  Conder obviously wrestled today, so it would be 7 of the first 8, right? 

9 hours ago, ufo said:

Too bad for Irie, but Susaki 2020 is clearly destiny ;)

I agree I think she's the best pound-for-pound woman wrestler there is but all Irie had to do was beat the Chinese lady she had beaten before and she was going to the Olympics and there wasn't anything Susaki could do about it. It'll still be a battle. Susaki has never lost in World Competition to anybody but she's lost to Irie three times including twice in the last year. It's amazing and it might be hard at the World Championships because of 10 weight classes but in the Olympics with only 6 classes I think the Japanese women, if they kept team scores, would finish both first and second if they entered 2 teams. They are unbelievable!

8 hours ago, Housebuye said:

USA is in the team race. We need Sarah to beat India (tough match). I think she wins the bronze if she beats Vinesh. 

We could win bronze at 72

Jacara could win gold

sarah making the bronze match is key points wise

tomorrow we have 4 medal contenders and a gold imo (Adeline). All Americans tomorrow should wrestle for a medal. Their draws are pretty good. Lots of fire power going tomorrow 

House I hope you're right but the other Irie is no slouch herself, cadet & junior world champ and beat last years champ to make this team. Until somebody beats them on a consistent basis I'm going to take the Japanese wrestler every time but I'll certainly be rooting for our girl.

Nice job ladies!  I was excited to see UWW wrestling on my local cable NBC Olympic Sports, but it's only the finals of greco and starting tomorrow the women.  Not perfect, but still gonna be exciting.  I expect the Olympic Women's Wrestling competition to be packed next year in Tokyo.  That will be cool in my opinion.  It would really be neat if we could challenge them, but that's highly unlikely that any two teams could challenge them in Tokyo, haha.