Sign in to follow this  
fanta

Womens NCAA Division 1 Championship - 2020

Word around the campfire is 2020 is the inaugural season for women's D1 wrestling. Anyone know why this isn't being promoted as much? This can only be good for wrestling, and funding for wrestling at every institution nationwide.

46 minutes ago, fanta said:

Word around the campfire is 2020 is the inaugural season for women's D1 wrestling. Anyone know why this isn't being promoted as much? This can only be good for wrestling, and funding for wrestling at every institution nationwide.

2020-2021

I think you are a season early. It isn't starting for a year and change.

I am very excited! I hope Flo gets at least some of the broadcast rights and the teams have full lineups. If they can put out a good product in year 1, this thing will explode. Wrestling is starting to get AD attention due to the attendance numbers at some schools. 

If I am not mistaken, aren't there only 2 or 3 D1 Women's programs? Presbyterian College in South Carolina and Lock Haven in Pennsylvania are the only D1 schools that I can think of that have women's wrestling. 

1 hour ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Are they going folkstyle instead of the current collegiate womens system(WCWA or NAIA) that uses freestyle?

I hope they go with freestyle. It’s more fun to watch, and it’ll tee us up nicely for international wrestling. 

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

If I am not mistaken, aren't there only 2 or 3 D1 Women's programs? Presbyterian College in South Carolina and Lock Haven in Pennsylvania are the only D1 schools that I can think of that have women's wrestling. 

I'm pretty sure it's just the two you mentioned, though Lock Haven women's wrestling will be DII, since they already have a different women's team that competes in DI. I believe there is 1 DI school, 9 DII schools, and 15 DIII schools that either have teams or have announced intentions to start them. 

Edited by IronChef

44 minutes ago, Katie said:

I hope they go with freestyle. It’s more fun to watch, and it’ll tee us up nicely for international wrestling. 

That's what I'm hoping for because I don't really see a reason why they'd go back to folkstyle now except for the fact that the NCAA might want continuity between mens and womens NCAA DI wrestling styles.

25 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

That's what I'm hoping for because I don't really see a reason why they'd go back to folkstyle now except for the fact that the NCAA might want continuity between mens and womens NCAA DI wrestling styles.

Yup.

Also, if the NCAA goes with freestyle for the women’s side, would they be able to compete against their Canadian counterparts?

Would be cool to see.

39 minutes ago, Katie said:

Yup.

Also, if the NCAA goes with freestyle for the women’s side, would they be able to compete against their Canadian counterparts?

Would be cool to see.

I don't see why they wouldn't.  They have been in the WCWA against one of the big names(Simon Frasier), but who knows.  Especially since the NCAA is US only unless I'm missing something.

1 hour ago, CA_Wrestler said:

I don't see why they wouldn't.  They have been in the WCWA against one of the big names(Simon Frasier), but who knows.  Especially since the NCAA is US only unless I'm missing something.

Although women’s wrestling is one of their flagship sports, Simon Frasier has several other sports that compete at the NCAA DII level.  It maybe the only Canadian schools with that level of NCAA affiliation.   Although it would be nice for the women competition if a few more southern Canadian schools would add wrestling and become a partial NCAA member for at least Women’s wrestling.   

Edited by MadMardigain

3 hours ago, Katie said:

I hope so too but I’d bet they go with folkstyle. It would make it so much more seemless for the NCAA to implement. No need for a new official rule book, can use same officials, etc...plus it would be a continuation of what they wrestle in high school (at least scholastically). 

To the extent they can influence the decision, it’s a safe bet that both folkstyle coaches and officials will be pushing folkstyle. 

Hope I’m wrong.

Women's wrestling at the NCAA level wouldn't start out as DI, DII, or DIII. They would all be mixed into one NCAA championship. See Bowling. Once they grew enough to support their own divisions they could divide it up. That would be a while, it takes 40 programs both DI and DII and 28 for DIII.

There are currently 1 DI, 12 DII, and 15 DIII. DI has a long way to go and the hardest to get programs added with only 1 so far. They have 10 years to get to those numbers but can continue in emerging sport status after if good progress is shown. I don't think there is going to be an issue to get that many programs in DII or DIII.

Simon Fraser is the only Canadian team in the NCAA, probably doubtful that others get added based on women's wrestling but it's possible.

I'd bet they stick with freestyle and not change it. I think if they tried switching it to folk, it would destroy a lot of the momentum for adding programs. It's one of the biggest draws for women to compete in college, the ability to continue wrestling the international style instead of switching back and forth like the guys do. I know that one one of the main goals when the WCWA was started as well. I'd imagine the driving forces behind getting it added as an NCAA sport would want to keep it that way.

I've seen the style question a few places. There is no reason to think it would be anything but freestyle. Women's college wrestling uses freestyle rules.The sport that is close to emerging sport status is women's college wrestling, which is freestyle.

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

I've seen the style question a few places. There is no reason to think it would be anything but freestyle. Women's college wrestling uses freestyle rules.The sport that is close to emerging sport status is women's college wrestling, which is freestyle.

I agree, however are there many/any states that are doing girls freestyle? I read several articles about the emerging sports status announcement and I couldn't find one mention of style. What I did see was a mention that rules will be per division.

19 hours ago, IronChef said:

I'm pretty sure it's just the two you mentioned, though Lock Haven women's wrestling will be DII, since they already have a different women's team that competes in DI. I believe there is 1 DI school, 9 DII schools, and 15 DIII schools that either have teams or have announced intentions to start them. 

I am confused. Can you have 2 teams at the same college where one team competes at the D1 level and the other at the D2 level? 

You can have one men's and one women's sport that plays up a division. At Lock Haven, the sports are men's wrestling and field hockey. The women's wrestling team will be Division II, though it will be several years before that distinction will matter for women's wrestling, since they will be looking at an all-divisions championship for the next few years at least.

15 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Women's wrestling at the NCAA level wouldn't start out as DI, DII, or DIII. They would all be mixed into one NCAA championship. See Bowling. Once they grew enough to support their own divisions they could divide it up. That would be a while, it takes 40 programs both DI and DII and 28 for DIII.

There are currently 1 DI, 12 DII, and 15 DIII. DI has a long way to go and the hardest to get programs added with only 1 so far. They have 10 years to get to those numbers but can continue in emerging sport status after if good progress is shown. I don't think there is going to be an issue to get that many programs in DII or DIII.

Simon Fraser is the only Canadian team in the NCAA, probably doubtful that others get added based on women's wrestling but it's possible.

I'd bet they stick with freestyle and not change it. I think if they tried switching it to folk, it would destroy a lot of the momentum for adding programs. It's one of the biggest draws for women to compete in college, the ability to continue wrestling the international style instead of switching back and forth like the guys do. I know that one one of the main goals when the WCWA was started as well. I'd imagine the driving forces behind getting it added as an NCAA sport would want to keep it that way.

All of the D1,2,3 women's programs will be combined to make a single NCAA Division. So essentially it will be a D1 tournament. The inaugural national tournament will be held at Lindenwood University in St. Charles, MO for the 2020-2021 season.

All of the D1,2,3 women's programs will be combined to make a single NCAA Division. So essentially it will be a D1 tournament.

By what definition is this a D1 tournament? There will be one D1 team. It has value for what it is. No need to misrepresent the tournament to make it more prestigious in your mind.

I would think the number of Universities having a women's team will significantly increase by the 2020-2021 season.  As the number of teams increase, I would say it becomes more likely that it will be folkstyle. 

The main reasons being the number refs and coaches, with quality refs being the bigger factor.  Also, there are zero states with Girls HS Wrestling that compete in Freestyle.  If I had to make a guess, at least 80% of Women HS Seniors have never wrestled Freestyle.  I don't see any possible reason that NCAA going folkstyle would slow the addition of new programs.  Also, while the numbers are small, but growing, the NCWA Women's Teams wrestle Folkstyle.