Sign in to follow this  
jeffrideal

Russian Greco

It seems to be in Siberia.  Karelin trained in Novosibirsk, Vlasov (Karelin's student) is also from the same city.  Sergey Emelin and Surkov are both from the republic of Mordovia, I believe that many other wrestlers travel to learn under the tutelage of Karelin.  However, the Caucasian mountains of course have a strong background in Greco, too: Maryanyan and Chekhirkhin in Sochi (not quite as far, but close); Mantsigov in Grozny (Chechnya) and Musa Evloev in Ingushetia (neighboring Chechnya).  I believe Komarov is in Siberia, somewhere and Kabaloev is in Kabardino-Balkaria - in the Caucasian mountains.

Most of my friends are used to seeing US athletes so superior to athletes from other countries, that they don't get it about wrestling.  Wrestling may not require the most strength, agility, speed, flexibility, endurance, reactions, or even the highest mental demands.  I believe it is higher  cumulatively in those aspects than any other sport.  Maybe Tour de France or something, but it's in any conversation about the toughest men.  It's so demanding mentally that most could never even step out on that mat in front of a crowd.  When you see anyone do what the Russian men and the Japanese women do, it is a spectacular accomplishment.  I've never seen anything like it in sport.  The Patriots, The Yankees, The Cowboys, The Hawkeyes, The Nittany Lions, to dominate at the World Level in a sport the rest of the world competes in is just the most impressive thing I've ever seen in sport.

Edited by Peso

On 9/16/2019 at 6:51 PM, jeffrideal said:

Where is the hotbed of Russian Greco, is it the Caucasus region like the freestylers or is it elsewhere? 

Novosibirsk, Leningradskya oblast, Kabardino-Balkaria, Mordovia and Rostov oblast, Chechnya and Ingushetia....the most powerful greco region in Russia 

Edited by Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin