MDogg

Is the USA as bad at any other Olympic sport as it is at Greco?

13 hours ago, jchapman said:

Have you ever heard of Tommy Kono? 

Absolutely. I am a huge Olympic sports fan. He is by far our greatest weightlifter. I was just saying that the average person walking down the street has probably heard of Oddjob moreso than Kono but he is definitely our greatest weightlifter. 

2 hours ago, Fishbane said:

Are you saying you'd take a greco gold medal from the 1984 Friendship Games over the 1984 Olympic games?

For what it's worth the US didn't win a gold in any of the three sports I has listed (Canoeing, Judo, Fencing) at the 1984 Olympics.  They did win some silver and bronze. Also keep in mind that most of these sports have a different format.  Judo has double bronze, but they used to have a more complicated repechage.  Anyone that lost to a semifinalist used to participate in the repechage.  When Rhonda Rousey won bronze at the Bejing Olympics she had lost to judoka that lost in the semifinals and then came back to get bronze.  The women she had lost to ended up winning the other bronze medal.  Canoeing doesn't have double bronze medals, but there are 16 golds available per games now.  Fencing doesn't have double bronze and has 10 medals/games, but some of those are team based competitions.  A good amount of the US medals are in the team competition.

I don't know if it's an increase in funding or what but some of our Sports in the Olympics that used to never even sniff a medal I've gotten better or better relative to their competition. Fencing has started producing medals in the individual sports and those women are still active today.  Our canoeing has gotten better and we get the odd medal in Taekwondo and Judo. Now if we could just learn how to play ping pong and badminton we'd be on our way!

36 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I don't know if it's an increase in funding or what but some of our Sports in the Olympics that used to never even sniff a medal I've gotten better or better relative to their competition. Fencing has started producing medals in the individual sports and those women are still active today.  Our canoeing has gotten better and we get the odd medal in Taekwondo and Judo. Now if we could just learn how to play ping pong and badminton we'd be on our way!

Those sports are different too.  Only 12 nations have won Olympic medals in table tennis and it only became a sport in 1988.  The best nations can enter multiple individuals or teams in the brackets. Greco might be just as bleak for the US if there were only three medals per weight, it wasn't in the 1984 games, and the soviets/ex soviets could sent multiple entries per weight. All of that applies to badminton too.

12 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Boycotted in 80.

It was never publicized but Gump was the sole representative of the US that year. Since he technically couldn't compete for the United States of America. He was forced to compete under the banner of 'Merica. 

Edited by BTC