Sign in to follow this  
Jon_Kozak

Worlds/Olympics Since 2008

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NImcKBCtXYITUVjq35uxACRaVRQ5VyE0RgslDK1FmKY/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a link to a project I've been working on periodically since last year.

You can click through 4 different sheets. One shows all 84 of the world/Olympic Freestyle Champs since 2008. The other three outline Russia's, USA's, and Iran's teams every year since then. For the Russian line-ups, I also included the years where a different representative was sent to worlds/Olympics - rather than the Russian National champ. It's well known Russia has a different "process" than USA, so I wanted to highlight how that worked for them.

Top 10 Countries according to Champs

1. Russia - 31
  2. USA - 14 (9 since 2015)
  3. Iran - 8
  4. Azerbaijan - 7
  5. Georgia - 6
  6. Turkey - 4
  7. Japan - 3
  8. North Korea - 2
  9. Italy - 2
  10. Uzbekistan, India, Bulgaria, Belarus, Armenia, Ukraine, Cuba - all with 1
Edited by Jon_Kozak

it is absolutely crazy what we have pulled off in the last 3 years. We just keep finding stars.

First JB, with some support from Tervel. Then Snyder joined the club, along with James Green. Then Jden came out of nowhere for the Olympics. Then Gwiz replaced Tervel and is even better that Tervel was. Then comes Gilman out of nowhere, Colon showed up when we needed it and then Dake and Taylor.

The only weight we are really struggling at is 65kg. We have medaled at every other weight in the past 2 years. Our best prospect right now is fighting for the 65kg spot, so that likely bodes well (whether Yianni wins the spot or not, Zain will be better off for having Yianni as a rival and is more likely to medal in the future)

I'm hoping we can keep this rolling. This doesn't even include our best prospects over the past few years (Yianni, Fix, Spencer Lee, Gable Steveson, Kerklevit, Zahid, Hall and you could include guys like Bo Nickal and Nolf too). 

On 9/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, Jon_Kozak said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NImcKBCtXYITUVjq35uxACRaVRQ5VyE0RgslDK1FmKY/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a link to a project I've been working on periodically since last year.

You can click through 4 different sheets. One shows all 84 of the world/Olympic Freestyle Champs since 2008. The other three outline Russia's, USA's, and Iran's teams every year since then. For the Russian line-ups, I also included the years where a different representative was sent to worlds/Olympics - rather than the Russian National champ. It's well known Russia has a different "process" than USA, so I wanted to highlight how that worked for them.

Top 10 Countries according to Champs

1. Russia - 31
  2. USA - 14 (9 since 2015)
  3. Iran - 8
  4. Azerbaijan - 7
  5. Georgia - 6
  6. Turkey - 4
  7. Japan - 3
  8. North Korea - 2
  9. Italy - 2
  10. Uzbekistan, India, Bulgaria, Belarus, Armenia, Ukraine, Cuba - all with 1

Thanks for sharing! The US tab really highlights Burroughs' recent dominance. From 2011 - 2018, he Medal'ed in 7 of those 8 years (5 of which were gold). Super impressive. 

15 minutes ago, dps831 said:

Thanks for sharing! The US tab really highlights Burroughs' recent dominance. From 2011 - 2018, he Medal'ed in 7 of those 8 years (5 of which were gold). Super impressive. 

Yeah absolutely...his run has been unreal.

What’s also interesting to note is how close USA has been to Russia since 2015. They both have 9 golds in that time. Russia has 24 Total Medals, while USA has 19. Meanwhile, Iran has fallen off pace since 2015. Only 2 gold medals-both from Yazdani-and 12 Total Medals. 

On 9/16/2019 at 1:04 PM, Housebuye said:

it is absolutely crazy what we have pulled off in the last 3 years. We just keep finding stars.

First JB, with some support from Tervel. Then Snyder joined the club, along with James Green. Then Jden came out of nowhere for the Olympics. Then Gwiz replaced Tervel and is even better that Tervel was. Then comes Gilman out of nowhere, Colon showed up when we needed it and then Dake and Taylor.

The only weight we are really struggling at is 65kg. We have medaled at every other weight in the past 2 years. Our best prospect right now is fighting for the 65kg spot, so that likely bodes well (whether Yianni wins the spot or not, Zain will be better off for having Yianni as a rival and is more likely to medal in the future)

I'm hoping we can keep this rolling. This doesn't even include our best prospects over the past few years (Yianni, Fix, Spencer Lee, Gable Steveson, Kerklevit, Zahid, Hall and you could include guys like Bo Nickal and Nolf too). 

Agreed.  IMO it was all set in motion with JB's performance in 2011.  He's the man.