Sign in to follow this  
orwrest

Another Open Letter to TrackWrestling: Hide the results

Watching the World Championships life isn't really an option for me, and I'd like to be able to view the matches without knowing who won.  It is fairly straightforward to navigate to the page where you can select the brackets, and avoid seeing any blurbs/results.

However, at that point it becomes nearly impossible.  I've attached a screenshot of an example bracket, the 130kg Greco.  I can use another window to cover everything up except the left-most column, and slowly slide it to the right...when it gets close enough to the end, I used to be able to blur my eyes (or close them), and then change focus to the bracket menu, and guesstimate moving the mouse and clicking on the green result, then the match window would open.  A little more creative squinting, and 80% of the time I was successfully able to watch the match without inadvertently knowing the outcome.

It's more difficult now, that they have put the flag icon of the winner there.  I went just a smidge too far with the blocking window, and couldn't help myself from seeing the slimmest segment of the flag icon on Coon's match...and that was all it took.

This might not make much sense, so try this:  bring up the attached pic, and pretend you want to watch Coon's first match without seeing who won first....move some windows around, etc.

Anyways, I'm not optimistic that I'll be able to watch the freestyle matches later this week, without having them spoiled. 

Coon.jpg

Just in case anyone else is looking to accomplish the same thing, thought I'd list the steps that might accomplish the goal (watch a match without inadvertently knowing who won).  I submitted a ticket to TrackWrestling and got back a couple responses....they didn't really offer to make any changes, but did provide one additional way of doing it.  This is a bit elaborate, but oh well:

1.  Load up the events page using this link, the page is clean:

https://www.trackwrestling.com/Login.jsp?TIM=1568647022720&twSessionId=yirfumzbxf

2.  Click the "World Championships 2019 - Seniors" link, which will bring a pop-up to log in, 'Enter Event'.  Once you click that a new page comes up, blur your eyes and close the 'News Feed' column on the right by clicking the x in the corner.  Page is now clean.

3.  Click the "Brackets" link in the blue bar at the top of the page.  Now you can select the weight from the 'Bracket Menu' drop-down on the left.  But don't do it yet, got to get a couple other windows set up first.

4.  You'll need to open a new browser window and repeat steps 1 and 2.  On this page however, click the 'Archived video' link in the center of the screen, then blur your eyes and click the 'Search' button towards the top, above the first video.

5.  Now open up a new window that you'll use to move around and block some information.  Go back to the Brackets page, and choose a weight class from the drop-down...once you select it, don't look, and drag the new window you just created all the way across so that it is covering up everything except the leftmost 'bracket menu' column.  Slowly move this blocking window to the right, until you can see the wrestler names.  Here's a screenshot of what this might look like:

https://imgur.com/a/eFxDxdm

6.  Now, the goal here is to slowly slide the blocker window to the right, until you can see the match#...don't go too far tho, or you'll see the beginning of the flag icon.  Here is a screenshot of what you're going for:

https://imgur.com/a/GQcydTD

You can see the match# of Coon's first, 307.  Remember this number.

7.  Click back into the window you created in step4, that is sitting on a search page.  Type the match# into the "Bout No" box, and search.  It should bring up the single video link.  The order of the names is not an indication of who won, it just goes from top-most to lower-most.

8.  Click the video.  You'll have to do some eye-blurring here, and the first time you may need to log in and wait 30seconds for device registration, but then you can launch the video and quickly maximize the size to take up the whole screen.

9.  When done watching the video, close out that window and go back to the search page (from step7).  Click the Search button, and you'll be all set to enter another match.

10.  Go back to the brackets window from step6 (being careful to use your blocker window)...if the wrestler won, you can slowly move the blocker window to the right until you can see the next match#.

And then just keep repeating that process.  Btw, the reason you don't simply type the wrestler's name into the 'Search Videos' box from step7, is because that will spit out all the videos for that wrestler...so you'll immediately know how many matches they wrestled. 

A bit elaborate, but at least you can enjoy the matches without having them spoiled.  

OMG, that is the most convoluted process to try to enjoy the matches.  Orwest, I appreciate you posting that workaround, but if Track wants to have a viable product, they need to realize that events like this, on the other side of the planet, require an easy method for the subscribers to watch the matches, without first knowing the results. 

Asking everyone go through the above 10 steps is absurd. 

Note to Trackwrestling - hire a computer savvy person for 2 hours and set up an easy method to watch these matches on delay, without knowing the results first.  You will make this up in profit with the first ten additional subscribers.

15 hours ago, orwrest said:

Watching the World Championships life isn't really an option for me, and I'd like to be able to view the matches without knowing who won.  It is fairly straightforward to navigate to the page where you can select the brackets, and avoid seeing any blurbs/results.

However, at that point it becomes nearly impossible.  I've attached a screenshot of an example bracket, the 130kg Greco.  I can use another window to cover everything up except the left-most column, and slowly slide it to the right...when it gets close enough to the end, I used to be able to blur my eyes (or close them), and then change focus to the bracket menu, and guesstimate moving the mouse and clicking on the green result, then the match window would open.  A little more creative squinting, and 80% of the time I was successfully able to watch the match without inadvertently knowing the outcome.

It's more difficult now, that they have put the flag icon of the winner there.  I went just a smidge too far with the blocking window, and couldn't help myself from seeing the slimmest segment of the flag icon on Coon's match...and that was all it took.

This might not make much sense, so try this:  bring up the attached pic, and pretend you want to watch Coon's first match without seeing who won first....move some windows around, etc.

Anyways, I'm not optimistic that I'll be able to watch the freestyle matches later this week, without having them spoiled. 

Coon.jpg

I follow a much simpler procedure than what orwest typed out - When I wake up I go straight to the archived videos in the WC page - they are all in order from the 1st match of the World Championships through whatever the latest is. They are grouped 50 matches to a page.  It is easy to scroll down to find the matches that you want to watch.  Track is really good about getting the matches posted right after they are done.  I watch all the USA matches as well as many other favorites. In WFS I'll watch Japans girls.  You can watch whatever matches you want in the order they happen without knowing the results.  The only time I use the brackets to watch matches on track is when I already know the results.  I was using them today to watch some of last years worlds.    

18 hours ago, orwrest said:

After clicking on the link for the tournament, you have the screen below.20190917_111540.thumb.jpg.d2aacc459676ef904121dba883304ba4.jpg

Click on video, then Archived Video (I am assuming you have bought the WC package). Once you have done that, you will now have a listing of all videos from the tournament. To search for any video click on the word Functions near the top (see below). 20190917_121842.thumb.jpg.e23370c8041f845129585bcdce2cf677.jpgOnce you do you will be able to search by matches by first name last name and even the round wrestled in. So you can start with matches from round one where you don't know the result and go from there

20190917_121842.jpg

Edited by ConnorsDad
Fix

2 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I follow a much simpler procedure than what orwest typed out - When I wake up I go straight to the archived videos in the WC page - they are all in order from the 1st match of the World Championships through whatever the latest is. They are grouped 50 matches to a page.  It is easy to scroll down to find the matches that you want to watch.  Track is really good about getting the matches posted right after they are done.  I watch all the USA matches as well as many other favorites. In WFS I'll watch Japans girls.  You can watch whatever matches you want in the order they happen without knowing the results.  The only time I use the brackets to watch matches on track is when I already know the results.  I was using them today to watch some of last years worlds.    

Hey, this is awesome, thanks!  I checked, and it does indeed list every match in order, nothing is given away.  The only eye-squinting that needs to be done is after the match is clicked, enlarge the video without looking at the 'Feature Matches' news scroll across the top.

Much thanks!

2 hours ago, orwrest said:

Hey, this is awesome, thanks!  I checked, and it does indeed list every match in order, nothing is given away.  The only eye-squinting that needs to be done is after the match is clicked, enlarge the video without looking at the 'Feature Matches' news scroll across the top.

Much thanks!

Enjoy - I have been watching all the various World championships on track this way for the last couple of years - It beats staying up all night and even when I can't watch right away the next morning as I prefer, I just avoid going on sites like this until I get to watch the matches at my leisure.