Sign in to follow this  
Graverobber

Qualified Nations for Olympics.

Hey folks, I got a bit of free time and decided to make this thread. I will update the first post after each day and count all the qualified weights per nation at the end of world's. 

Greco Roman 6 weights in total (60kg, 67kg, 77kg, 87kg, 97kg, 130kg) :

Germany : 3 (67kg, 87kg, 130kg)

Russia : 3 (60kg, 67kg, 97kg) 

Uzbekistan : 3 (60kg, 77kg, 87kg)

Iran : 3 (60kg, 77kg, 130kg)

Kazakhstan : 2 (60kg, 77kg) 

Ukraine : 2 (60kg, 87kg)

Armenia : 2 (77kg, 97kg)

Turkey : 2 (97kg, 130kg)

Cuba : 2 (67kg, 130kg)

Hungary : 2 (77kg, 87kg) should be noted, the two qualified weights are brothers and both in the final. 

Georgia : 2 (97kg, 130kg) 

Serbia : 2 (67kg, 97kg)

Japan : 1 (60kg)

Egypt : 1 (67kg)

Denmark : 1 (67kg)

Kirgisistan : 1 (87kg)

Belarus : 1 (87kg)

Sweden : 1 (77kg)

Polen : 1 (97kg)

Estland : 1 (130kg)

Women Freestyle 6 weights in total (50kg, 53kg, 57kg, 62kg, 68kg, 76kg) :

China : 2 (50kg, 53kg)

Azerbaijan : 1 (50kg)

Romania : 1 (50kg)

Kazakhstan : 1 (50kg)

Japan : 1 (53kg)

Greece : 1 (53kg) 

Prk (don't know what this is) : 1 (53kg)

That's the list so far, I will update it this evening or tomorrow morning and will continue to update it until the competition is over, feel free to discuss. 

On 9/17/2019 at 7:24 AM, Chet said:

PRK = People's Republic of Korea = North Korea

Is there a more enigmatic group than the wrestlers from North Korea? I realize the country lends itself it to being that way but these guys and gals disappear for years and come back and are lights out at the lower weights. One of their female wrestlers just teched a Japanese in the world championship finals.

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

Is there a more enigmatic group than the wrestlers from North Korea? I realize the country lends itself it to being that way but these guys and gals disappear for years and come back and are lights out at the lower weights. One of their female wrestlers just teched a Japanese in the world championship finals.

4 years at a re-education camp is great motivation.

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

North Korea usually doesn't send anyone who isn't capable of winning.  They don't really go to international tournaments from what I've seen or remember.  They do spend a lot of money on sports because they see it as propaganda that they can brag about.  It wouldn't surprise me if they went to extreme measures to give their athletes an edge on the competition.  When they do lose then it's trouble, like the soccer team after the world cup a few years ago whose coach is now making rocks into smaller ones someplace.  From what I remember, and I could be wrong, they hired old Soviet coaches to build their wrestling up.  

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

North Korea usually doesn't send anyone who isn't capable of winning.  They don't really go to international tournaments from what I've seen or remember.  They do spend a lot of money on sports because they see it as propaganda that they can brag about.  It wouldn't surprise me if they went to extreme measures to give their athletes an edge on the competition.  When they do lose then it's trouble, like the soccer team after the world cup a few years ago whose coach is now making rocks into smaller ones someplace.  From what I remember, and I could be wrong, they hired old Soviet coaches to build their wrestling up.  

Yeah I I didn't even think about how the lunatic runnimg the country might react to a team losing a game or match. Their great wrestler Kim Il, who won two Olympic golds, never wrestled in an international tournament between the two Olympics except to qualify his country for that spot. This was according to David Wallechinsky in The Complete Book of the Summer Olympics. I didn't check the Foldeak database to see if it's true but if so that's pretty impressive. 

4 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Yeah I I didn't even think about how the lunatic runnimg the country might react to a team losing a game or match. Their great wrestler Kim Il, who won two Olympic golds, never wrestled in an international tournament between the two Olympics except to qualify his country for that spot. This was according to David Wallechinsky in The Complete Book of the Summer Olympics. I didn't check the Foldeak database to see if it's true but if so that's pretty impressive. 

I wonder what their practices and training look like.  I'm not in a hurry to go find out though.  But there can be some pretty bad consequences if they don't win I imagine.  The soccer team that lost at the world cup faced some pretty minor punishments, except for their coach.  Basically they were put on a stage somewhere and high ranking political officials and journalists ridiculed them for losing  and insulted them for 6 hours or so.  When Saddam Hussein was in charge of Iraq, his son ran their sports committee and used to be pretty barbaric to athletes who didn't win.  Their soccer team lost some tournament and he had the players beaten with electrical cables, made them kick a concrete ball barefoot and made them wade around in sewage to try to infect their injuries.