Sign in to follow this  
BuckyBadger

Japan’s Lightweight Depth

What is crazy to me is both Higuchi (freestyle 2016 Olympic silver) and Ota (Greco 2016 Olympic silver) may not be on the team for the 2020 Tokyo games.

Both were both in their early 20s (20 and 22) at the 2016 Olympics. Due to domestic competition, both were forced to move weight classes almost immediately after reaching the pinnacle of the sport at such a young age.

Ota has found success up a weight winning worlds this year (non-Olympic weight). Higuchi can’t even make the team anymore.  After Rio, John Smith mentioned in a few interviews how impressed he was with Higuchi’s sweep single.

That is insane depth. I can’t imagine leaving that caliber of an athlete at home at such a young age.

15 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

What is crazy to me is both Higuchi (freestyle 2016 Olympic silver) and Ota (Greco 2016 Olympic silver) may not be on the team for the 2020 Tokyo games.

Both were both in their early 20s (20 and 22) at the 2016 Olympics. Due to domestic competition, both were forced to move weight classes almost immediately after reaching the pinnacle of the sport at such a young age.

Ota has found success up a weight winning worlds this year (non-Olympic weight). Higuchi can’t even make the team anymore.  After Rio, John Smith mentioned in a few interviews how impressed he was with Higuchi’s sweep single.

That is insane depth. I can’t imagine leaving that caliber of an athlete at home at such a young age.

Yep, and it is even worse on the wonen's side.

6 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Thank God the Japanese are too patriotic to represent other countries so we only ever have to worry about one per weight. 

Would be kind of funny if they went the Michigan route though... imagine Higuchi shows up at the 2020 games in a Liechtenstein singlet.

58 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Thank God the Japanese are too patriotic to represent other countries so we only ever have to worry about one per weight. 

Possibly the single truest post ever on this message board. Can you imagine if they where to flee the coop? You could possibly have first second and third in a bunch of weight classes at the World Championships or Olympics!

11 minutes ago, jmachinder said:

shocking that there's no gold for the Japanese women this year at 50KG, 53KG 55KG...

Absolutely. No gold at the three lowest weight classes is more shocking than if JB were to go one and out. It might scare me though considering they may come back next year with their hair on fire. The Irie sister that Winchester beat while obviously really good is just a step below very elite wrestlers. The other Irie sister @ 50kg, while obviously elite, is past her prime but for some reason she has given Susaki fits domestically and that is why she's here. I have no doubt in my mind that if Susaki had been there @ 50 kilo she would have teched her way through the tournament.

10 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Absolutely. No gold at the three lowest weight classes is more shocking than if JB were to go one and out. It might scare me though considering they may come back next year with their hair on fire. The Irie sister that Winchester beat while obviously really good is just a step below very elite wrestlers. The other Irie sister @ 50kg, while obviously elite, is past her prime but for some reason she has given Susaki fits domestically and that is why she's here. I have no doubt in my mind that if Susaki had been there @ 50 kilo she would have teched her way through the tournament.

Pretty much what I would have said.  Especially about Susaki.

Like I had mentioned in another thread....we and other nations were going to do much better than normal just because Japan's #1s aren't at all weights this year due to Olympic weight jockeying and how their committee guaranteed automatic spots for medalists that were in Olympic weight classes at this year's World Championships.  If they didn't guarantee those spots, I definitely think more #1s would have stayed at non Olympic weights.  It looks like Russia is going to win the Womens team title.

at 50kg, Irie made that big mistake against Sun and had her base way too high trying to get away from that single and went airborne.  50kg in Japan's trials next year is going to be so good.  Irie, Susaki, Tosaka.

at 53kg, Mukaida just got trapped against that gut and could never get out.  Just made that one little mistake and it's over.

at 55, Irie is very good and barely lost, but not Japan's #1 at this weight(it's Mukaida who dropped to 53kg).  Let's give credit to Winchester who went out and won, though!