spladle08

(DAY 6) Mensah-Stock, Miracle and (men) Retherford, Fix

I'll add some too this but um im just excited to discuss draws. Let's go.

Fix with Takahashi round 2. Is rough

Zain opens with Tobier but has a manageable section to the quarters. *tough weight* Would likely need to beat Rashidov/Otorugo to make semis. Top side of the bracket is considerably easier.

85000be07e5d2e597ab9bc696ca63456.jpg58021a0df87ced776de08390a518d13d.jpg80e1cd2324c80b33f309d20f457500a9.jpgcbb1049fd57b7f93b37e34f91e7b6515.jpg395a0290048d1ddbf206e3129d84c1ec.jpg76dabae4592880fe3d453acbc5fb99d7.jpg8c6cf85e277e9080e4b3962995705c89.jpg

Gross for a wrestling fan, not bad for USA. If Zain can get post Cuba he gets a guy who comes out of those two matches hopefully pretty exhausted.
Yeah thats solid way to look at it. The top side of the bottom half of the bracket also has a lot of talent. Going to be a lot of capable guys miss the podium.

Mensah-Stock got a decent draw, but Miracle's and Fix's are rough and Zain's is awful in my opinion.

Lol yeah the only way Zain's could be worse is if he switched with Aliyev or Rashidov.

The top side looks like Bajrang's to lose.

I really hope Mensah wins it.

Miracle will struggle to medal.

Big Fix homer, but stylistically, of the top guys, I don't like the Takahashi match-up

9 minutes ago, maligned said:

Mensah-Stock got a decent draw, but Miracle's and Fix's are rough and Zain's is awful in my opinion.

I agree with your analysis of the draws.  The USA MFS team is starting off with 2 tough draws.  Of course Zain's draw is not any worse than his past PSU teammate's was last year and we all know how that worked out.  i'm hoping Zain can do the same.

20 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I agree with your analysis of the draws.  The USA MFS team is starting off with 2 tough draws.  Of course Zain's draw is not any worse than his past PSU teammate's was last year and we all know how that worked out.  i'm hoping Zain can do the same.

I think this is worse than DT's because there were only really two guys that could beat him. The odds of a strong finish are much worse when you stack five or six matches in a row where you have a 40 to 50% chance of winning each. 

has Zain ever wrestled the Cuban?

the Cuban did wrestle Stieber, was up 7-0, then gassed and was down 10-9 before i believe defaulting. So no slouch first round.

Yeah Tobier (don't think they've wrestled) is very quality and Id say the favorite here. It Zain is favored in any of his matches leading to a finals run. Itd be his second and it wouldnt be by more than a point. The run feels impossoble. But who knows

At least the Russian's didnt get any easy draws in these two weights either. I think they are more likly to medal, but Uguev and Roshidov are going to have revenge some previous losses along the way to find the podium. No finalist for Russia at these two weights is a win for the USA in the team race in my opinion. 

The top half of the 65kg bracket is a joke compared to the bottom.  Not trying to open that can of worms at the moment, but it's ridiculous.  

That said, I actually don't think Zain's draw is that bad.  If he's going to medal, he has to beat someone of Valdes-Tobier's quality anyway... he took bronze each of the past two years, and it's a zero sum game.  If he wins that match he should make the quarters, where he's not likely to win but is likely to get pulled back in with a decent chance at bronze.  

If Zain comes out of that quarter, he's without a doubt elite and a lot of us will have to eat some crow (myself included).  

1 hour ago, maligned said:

Likely opponents in order at 65--just to get to the final:

Valdes

Yazdani

Usmonohunov

Otoguro/Rashidov/Aliyev

Khinchigashvili

I'm sorry...that's a terrible draw.

It is unless he's the best in the world.  Then he's the terrible draw. 

mspart

3 hours ago, maligned said:

Likely opponents in order at 65--just to get to the final:

Valdes

Yazdani

Usmonohunov

Otoguro/Rashidov/Aliyev

Khinchigashvili

I'm sorry...that's a terrible draw.

Maligned, would it even be possible for him to get a decent draw or anybody to get a decent draw with that weight class? It just seems so stacked that it's exceedingly unlikely you could win it all without facing at least a couple hammers.

21 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Maligned, would it even be possible for him to get a decent draw or anybody to get a decent draw with that weight class? It just seems so stacked that it's exceedingly unlikely you could win it all without facing at least a couple hammers.

Pretty much anyone in the top half of the bracket got a great draw (the same is true at 57kg) - that being said if you are the best in the world any draw is winnable.