spladle08

(DAY 6) Mensah-Stock, Miracle and (men) Retherford, Fix

5 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Pretty much anyone in the top half of the bracket got a great draw (the same is true at 57kg) - that being said if you are the best in the world any draw is winnable.  

That's a cliches that I don't think really holds up, especially with the current system of seeding and repechage. Every year there are guys who medal that probably only did so because they got a great draw and guys that mostly likely could/should have medaled but had ridiculous draws. Even if you are the best in the world, if you have to go through a grinder match after match because of a lopsided bracket, you may not make it through.

33 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

So this starts tmrw night at 1:00am correct?

Men's Freestyle Schedule

***ALL TIMES EDT***

Thursday 9/19

• Qual               1:00am-6:00am        57-65
  • Semis             6:45am-7:45am        57-65

Friday 9/20

• Qual               1:00am-6:00am        70-74-92-125            
  • Rpchg            1:00am-6:00am        57-65
  • Semis             6:45am-7:45am        70-74-92-125
  • Finals             8:00am-11:00am      57-65

Saturday 9/21

• Qual               1:00am-6:00am        61-79-86-97                          
  • Rpchg            1:00am-6:00am        70-74-92-125
  • Semis             6:45am-7:45am        61-79-86-97
  • Finals             8:00am-11:00am      70-74-92-125

Sunday 9/22

• Rpchg            5:30am-7:30am        61-79-86-97
  • Finals             8:00am-11:00am      61-79-86-97

1 hour ago, Crotalus said:

That's a cliches that I don't think really holds up, especially with the current system of seeding and repechage. Every year there are guys who medal that probably only did so because they got a great draw and guys that mostly likely could/should have medaled but had ridiculous draws. Even if you are the best in the world, if you have to go through a grinder match after match because of a lopsided bracket, you may not make it through.

So very true.  With the limited amount of recovery time, even if you are the clear #1 at the weight, wrestling the #4, #3 and then #2 back to back to back would be extremely hard to do.  This is especially true if the last 2 guys have shorter, much easier matches leading into that match up.

A solid example is Metcalf.  Granted, he never got it done at World's(nor was he the #1 guy), but he was also sort of his own worst enemy.  Whoever beat him was so drained by wrestling him, they inevitably had nothing left and couldn't pull him back through to repechage.  

Tough matches that early, or that often, make it that much harder to make it through the bracket.  Pretty much simple common sense, actually..........

Maligned, would it even be possible for him to get a decent draw or anybody to get a decent draw with that weight class? It just seems so stacked that it's exceedingly unlikely you could win it all without facing at least a couple hammers.
:) Bajrang will likely face 1 hammer. But seriously if Zain loses before semis and gets pulled back in, his Bronze match will likely be against a previous World Champion. Everyone there is tough, but the draw is exceptionally rough

7 hours ago, mspart said:

It is unless he's the best in the world.  Then he's the terrible draw. 

mspart

Sometimes the best guy in the bracket gets worn out by a bad draw and loses because of it. These guys can’t physically recover 100 percent between matches after a battle. 

Sometimes the best guy in the bracket gets worn out by a bad draw and loses because of it. These guys can’t physically recover 100 percent between matches after a battle. 
There's the mental aspect as well. Some guys wrestle better after a loss, other just mail it in. You never know what to expect in repechage *(wrestle backs).

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Tough draw for both guys! I think it’s unlikely (but possible) Fix will beat Takahashi and then Takahashi will probably lose to Uguev eliminating Fix. I sure hope I am wrong though! Zain just has a tough weight with a really tough draw. If he earns a medal out of that, I will be extremely impressed. Aliyev vs Rashidov first round with winner getting Otoguro two rounds later is just insane. I honestly thought those were three of the top four in the weight and all could’ve gotten medals!

Tough draw for both guys! I think it’s unlikely (but possible) Fix will beat Takahashi and then Takahashi will probably lose to Uguev eliminating Fix. I sure hope I am wrong though! Zain just has a tough weight with a really tough draw. If he earns a medal out of that, I will be extremely impressed. Aliyev vs Rashidov first round with winner getting Otoguro two rounds later is just insane. I honestly thought those were three of the top four in the weight and all could’ve gotten medals!
With the winner getting Khinchgashvilli.

39 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

With the winner getting Khinchgashvilli.

Not til the semis, but yes still a ridiculously tough half bracket. Habat might actually have a better chance to medal than Zain just because he’s in the top half. 

Not til the semis, but yes still a ridiculously tough half bracket. Habat might actually have a better chance to medal than Zain just because he’s in the top half. 
Yeah I guess I was saying if Vlad beats the rep from the bottom quad, to reach the finals, that knocks a lot of talent out of contention for the Bronze. (Though gold is on most of their minds)
Know what im sayin?

10 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah I guess I was saying if Vlad beats the rep from the bottom quad, to reach the finals, that knocks a lot of talent out of contention for the Bronze. (Though gold is on most of their minds)
Know what im sayin?

Good point... I wouldn’t pick him over those guys but it’s definitely possible especially with the all the tough matches they would’ve had prior. That would definitely be a ton of talent not even in the repechage! 

3 hours ago, sidakova4991 said:

Yeah, I don't think Retherford is getting a medal here.  I think Rashidov will beat Aliyev and maybe Otoguro.  

Uguev should get gold.

My pick was Rashidov, but man that semi is going to be super tough. He will be exhausted. 

I'm hoping Retherford brings it all match in the opener. It's his best chance to win. Push the pace. Try to exhaust the Cuban.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I think Zains "fundamental" style is a hindrance here. I dont like his ability to win a possible shootout and thats kind of what i expect this to be

Zain loses a heartbreaker 10-9. 

Cuban gets a TD and 2 guts (almost 3) 6-0

Zain gets a td 6-2

End of period

Zain gets a td 6-4

Zain gets a td but Cuban got a chest wrap in the process 8-6

5 minute lunger for blood time. Cuban was fading a little. 

Process repeats. Zain td, Cuban chest wrap. Not sure how Zain got the 9th point though but it was in this sequence. 

7 minutes ago, Perry said:

Damn. Have we won a single match at this weight at the world championships since the 2016 olympics?

Stieber won one match in repechage 2 years ago. Then he ran into Khin and got hammered. 

3 minutes ago, PSUMike said:

Stieber won one match in repechage 2 years ago. Then he ran into Khin and got hammered. 

Stieber went 0-1 in 2018, Zain went 1-1 in 17, Molinaro went 2-2 in 16 and Metcalf went 2-1 in 15.

Since 2008 USA is 6-15 at 65kg at Worlds/Olympics.

3 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Stieber went 0-1 in 2018, Zain went 1-1 in 17, Molinaro went 2-2 in 16 and Metcalf went 2-1 in 15.

Since 2008 USA is 6-15 at 65kg at Worlds/Olympics.

Thank you for the info. I threw you a like bc of that not bc I liked what I read (just to clarify)

Edited by Perry

These Track commentators are horrible in terms of discussing the action.  Hrvat only wants to pretend to be the coach or tell stories about everything but what is going on with the match.

Get them off the air.