spladle08

(DAY 6) Mensah-Stock, Miracle and (men) Retherford, Fix

Just now, TripNSweep said:

Takahashi won without any offense.  How did Fix get put on the clock twice when Takahashi took approximately zero shots in 6 minutes?

Yeah that second shot clock point against Fix was the decider of this match. Tough one considering he was the only one with a takedown. 

Just now, TripNSweep said:

Takahashi won without any offense.  How did Fix get put on the clock twice when Takahashi took approximately zero shots in 6 minutes?

Agreed. 2 shot clock points, 1 push out, and 1 challenge lost point.  Pretty silly if you ask me. 

Fix scored the only points off an actual shot. I'm not sure how Fix was put on the clock first anyways--seemed completely arbitrary. Made the second clock much worse since Fix could no longer give up a step out. 

Not to offend anyone but I'm not entirely sure the North Korean that Kayla Miracle is wrestling has always been a woman.  North Korea seems like the kind of place that would make somebody who wasn't always biologically a woman become one in order to wrestle or participate in a sport just for their national pride. 

Another questionable call.  Miracle loses 6-6 on criteria but has a takedown erased and is given a reversal after an exposure is called against her on a challenge?  Anyone else get that?  It seemed like a strange call.  Still not sure North Korea was always biologically a woman.  

57kg Armenia looked great against India for the first 2 minutes then fell apart like a car manufactured in Armenia.  India wins by tech fall in the 2nd period.  Armenia looked dead after the takedown that had India up 15-6.  

54 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

Rashidov takes out Otuguro 8-1. Otuguro was the aggressor the entire second, but he had nothing. Rashidov simply looked too strong and Otuguro could never find the angle--putting himself in bad positions or Rashidov to capitalize on.

Expected a lot more offense from Otoguru, and a lot more points.

After honestly losing his first match, Rashidov's my pick to come out of the bottom half.

Musukaev manhandling Khinch also a surprise.

Damn I wish pool play (or whatever the correct term is) was still a thing.  So many matches at 65 I'd love to see.

BTW, am I missing something obvious, or does Micic have a great shot at making the finals?  Looks like Atli, who's he's beaten (and isn't looking that great either), is the only hammer in his path.

Finally, the best part about being top seed is being in the top half of the bracket.  Much rather be the 4 seed than either 2 or 3.  Comparing the top and bottom 65 halves, I'm gobsmacked.

Bajrang has the sort of path to the finals you'd expect from a non-Olympic weight bracket, while the bottom has hammers meeting each other in the round of 64!

30 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Micic into the quarters with a win over Canada, gets Suyleman from Turkey next in the quarters.  

Micic looking very good for a medal even if he loses to Atli (not that he's going to lose).

<really hope this comment ages well>

44 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Not to offend anyone but I'm not entirely sure the North Korean that Kayla Miracle is wrestling has always been a woman.  North Korea seems like the kind of place that would make somebody who wasn't always biologically a woman become one in order to wrestle or participate in a sport just for their national pride. 

Much as I'd love to mock such absurdity, I wouldn't put anything past Kim Jong Un.

27 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Much as I'd love to mock such absurdity, I wouldn't put anything past Kim Jong Un.

There aren't many countries who would do that, but North Korea tops my list for being the kind of place that would try something bizarre like that.  

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Rashidov has been my pick at 65. After I saw his draw I hesitated but man he is so good. 

Can't help but feel for Aliyev, though, especially if he's been DQ'd.  I know it's his own fault for losing his composure, but he deserved better from the jury of appeal.

Wasn't Rashidov losing for much of his next match as well, before pulling it out late?  Based on that, I thought momentum really favored Otoguru.

Apparently not, I guess.

Regardless, I think he's my pick as well (although Tobier looks pretty optimized).

18 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

There aren't many countries who would do that, but North Korea tops my list for being the kind of place that would try something bizarre like that.  

Even Putin probably stops at state sponsored doping.

Mensah-Stock demolishes Dosho 12-1 in the quarters.  

Mensah just came out firing on all cylinders but she was patient with her attacks and had some great counters and reshots.  Dosho just gave up once it was 6-1. 

Edited by TripNSweep