spladle08

(DAY 6) Mensah-Stock, Miracle and (men) Retherford, Fix

5 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Mensah-Stock demolishes Dosho 12-1 in the quarters.  

Mensah just came out firing on all cylinders but she was patient with her attacks and had some great counters and reshots.  Dosho just gave up once it was 6-1. 

Japan looking vulnerable and still most likely wins the thing

23 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Is Dosho the favorite over Stock? 

No.  Dosho has had a really bad arm(I think elbow) injury the past year and even though she won the Asian Games, she hasn't been able to compete much.  Stock has really come into her own during that time and I would definitely pick her as the favorite to win her weight class as well as the Olympics.

So we may end with 3 golds and no other medals? Weird but I’ll take it, especially with 2 of those golds at Olympic weight

Im sad about my expectations for men FS.

Green/Downey/Graff "feel" like lost causes. If they preform as expected..... we are really gonna need out horses to all run to the finals, or it'll be a sad sad sad 2019 finish

*but yes 3 women's golds is pretty awesome. The rest won't have an issur qualifying their weights

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

So we may end with 3 golds and no other medals? Weird but I’ll take it, especially with 2 of those golds at Olympic weight

Yes could end up with 3 golds and no other medals.My opinion it was a down year for our woman.Team had high expectations and Japan having a down year by Japan standards 

Just got a chance to catch up on matches, gotta say Mensah is flat out impressive...  Position, hips, awareness... wow..  

Sidebar: Thankful for it, but the announcing on track was getting annoying.  I like Hrovat and can appreciate his experiences, but man. As I get into it more over the next few days the volume is gonna go down.  A solid 30-40 seconds of action multiple times every match I watched that was talking about something other than the match at hand.  At one point it reminded me of Christmas Vacation when Clark is rambling to the lingerie saleswoman.. "Not in the sense that you think I said I have a log". 

3 minutes ago, airmail said:

Just got a chance to catch up on matches, gotta say Mensah is flat out impressive...  Position, hips, awareness... wow..  

Sidebar: Thankful for it, but the announcing on track was getting annoying.  I like Hrovat and can appreciate his experiences, but man. As I get into it more over the next few days the volume is gonna go down.  A solid 30-40 seconds of action multiple times every match I watched that was talking about something other than the match at hand.  At one point it reminded me of Christmas Vacation when Clark is rambling to the lingerie saleswoman.. "Not in the sense that you think I said I have a log". 

She's really improved a lot the past year and wrestling great right now.

23 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Im sad about my expectations for men FS.

Green/Downey/Graff "feel" like lost causes. If they preform as expected..... we are really gonna need out horses to all run to the finals, or it'll be a sad sad sad 2019 finish

*but yes 3 women's golds is pretty awesome. The rest won't have an issur qualifying their weights

Harsh reality of a pre-Olympic year, especially starting with these two weights.  We should keep in mind though that most us weren't banking on a medal from either 57 or 65.  Cautiously optimistic maybe, but not counting on it.  Would have liked to have won a few more matches, though.  

Looking at the rest of the weights:
- Downey, forget it. 

- Graff, probably the same, but I do want to see that bracket first before writing him off.

- Green I see no path to a medal.  He would have to beat Gadzhiev and Batirov back to back, just to get to Iakobishvili or Baev (and then the other of those two in repechage).  

- Gwiz at least has a solid draw.  He has beaten Mohebi and Khugaev before.  Those will be tough matches but if he makes it to the semis he has a great chance to medal--Petriashvili's quarter looks (relatively) soft.  

- Burroughs, same.  It's all in front of him, although his first match will be tough.  The bye hopefully helps him there.   

- Cox should win 92kg going away.  That's hard to say at World's but seriously, this bracket looks weak. 

All in all, if Gwiz, Burroughs, and Cox medal (with at least one champ), we're in line to basically perform on par with expectations.  But we're pretty much out of room for error before the tournament turns into a real disappointment for the MFS team.  

Harsh reality of a pre-Olympic year, especially starting with these two weights.  We should keep in mind though that most us weren't banking on a medal from either 57 or 65.  Cautiously optimistic maybe, but not counting on it.  Would have liked to have won a few more matches, though.  
- Downey, forget it. 
- Graff, probably the same, but I do want to see that bracket first before writing him off.
- Green I see no path to a medal.  He would have to beat Gadzhiev and Batirov back to back, just to get to Iakobishvili or Baev (and then the other of those two in repechage).  
- Gwiz at least has a solid draw.  He has beaten Mohebi and Khugaev before.  Those will be tough matches but if he makes it to the semis he has a great chance to medal--Petriashvili's quarter looks (relatively) soft.  
- Burroughs, same.  It's all in front of him, although his first match will be tough.  The bye hopefully helps him there.   
- Cox should win 92kg going away.  That's hard to say at World's but seriously, this bracket looks weak. 
All in all, if Gwiz, Burroughs, and Cox medal (with at least one champ), we're in line to basically perform on par with expectations.  But we're pretty much out of room for error before the tournament turns into a real disappointment for the MFS team.  
Very well put!

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

- Downey, forget it. 

Dake?

17 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Takahashi won without any offense.  How did Fix get put on the clock twice when Takahashi took approximately zero shots in 6 minutes?

17 hours ago, CMickey92 said:

Yeah that second shot clock point against Fix was the decider of this match. Tough one considering he was the only one with a takedown. 

17 hours ago, goStanford18 said:

Agreed. 2 shot clock points, 1 push out, and 1 challenge lost point.  Pretty silly if you ask me. 

Fix scored the only points off an actual shot. I'm not sure how Fix was put on the clock first anyways--seemed completely arbitrary. Made the second clock much worse since Fix could no longer give up a step out. 

Wrong, wrong and wrong. Folkstyle folks be like, "Only leg shots are offense." Watch that match again and realize what I'm sure the USA coaches have now realized, which is that wrestlers who want to pull out of a Russian tie or a two-on-one had better find a way to do so without backing or running away. Takahashi works his offense off of a few different two-on-one arm ties. 30 seconds into the match, Takahashi, standing on the center spot of the mat, reaches for the two-on-one twice. Fix backs and then runs away to the outer part of the circle and the official uses his blue hand to make the "move forward and engage" signal. Fix continues to try to escape Takahashi's throw-by set up, a two-on-one on Fix's left arm, and it's clear that ref is going to warn him (5:18). Fix's mistake is that he isn't clearing the two-on-one and transitioning into his own offense. He's moving back into outer space. Imagine a wrestler who works his offense off a collar tie, and every time he locks another wrestler up with a collar tie, that wrestler clears it and backs up instead of looking to attack. Imagine a guy who shoots from space, and instead of re-attacking and generating offense, the other guy keeps backing away. This is essentially what Fix is doing in this match; he's backing away from Takehashi's offensive setups. Watch the whistle start after the first passive warning. Fix starts in a very forward position, over the center of the mat, but as soon as Takahashi goes for the two-on-one, he circles into the orange outer band. The ref immediately puts his blue hand up and encourages him to engage. Do you not understand that this is passivity? Takahashi continues to go for the two-on-one tie on Fix's left arm, and Fix continues to back away, and it's no surprise that the ref puts him on the 30 second clock at 4:31. Watch the entire match with positioning in mind. Takahashi works the middle of the mat the whole time. After the first shot clock point, Fix ties up in a collar tie and makes some effective fakes, causing Takahashi to back away. The ref immediately lifts the red hand and warns Takehashi for passivity. The ref does a good job in this low scoring match of encouraging action. It's a disappointment that a wrestler with the dynamism of Daton Fix was unable to create more action. The takedown and ensuing flurries of action at the beginning of the second period were good signs, and Fix should have continued. When he creates action, he scores more that his opponent. Again, Takehashi continues moving forward, looking for the Russian tie on the left arm. Fix never turns it into HIS offense. At one point he uses his left arm to overhook, a great tactic, as Takehashi doesn't seem able to create action. The ref blows it dead quickly, as noone is attacking. 

Lessons were learned from this match. Daton will be better prepared for his next meeting with Takehashi.