Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

65 bracket

From the top bracket - its guaranteed Bajrang into Finals, relatively easy draw for Bajrang

Bottom bracket is one hell of a bracket - all studs, I think Kinche will go to Semis and on the otherside one of Rashidov or Otoguro will go to Semis. 

In my opinion - its Bajrang vs Rashidov in finals

7 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I say Bajrang makes it to the final (not a hard prediction) but loses to whoever comes out from the bottom side. Great wrestler but I don't think he's good enough to win a gold at such a tough weight. 

fingers crossed..but I think he is going to prove you wrong!

20 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I say Bajrang makes it to the final (not a hard prediction) but loses to whoever comes out from the bottom side. Great wrestler but I don't think he's good enough to win a gold at such a tough weight. 

On the flipside, I am switching my pick to Bajrang.  Anyone who makes it out of that bottom will be limping their way in to the finals and will be gassed by the handshake.  Thinking it will be similar to a Geduev/ Yazdani final where Bajrang pours it on after the break. 

I think he's too easy to score and seen him get destroyed too many times. Even our 70kg guy who is a mediocre wrestler was up 8-0 on him before Bajrang's pace got him to a 10-8 win. If he was on the other side i'd be a lot more confident in not picking him but I still don't think he wins it. 

35 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

This is the toughest bracket I have ever seen in my life. Good freaking grief, what a meat grinder!

Greco 67kg was pretty gnarly too. Borrero had to go through three senior level and one age level world champs. 

49 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

This is the toughest bracket I have ever seen in my life. Good freaking grief, what a meat grinder!

Check out the 75 bracket from Rio. Don’t know if you follow Greco world wide but even if you don’t, all you have to see is the medal list in the bracket. It was insane. 

Zain's path... hell... everyone's path, is difficult.  We knew that it was going to be a meatgrinder going in.  Actually seeing how the brackets shook out shouldn't surprise anyone as to how tough this weight is.  

I could see Zain going 0-1 or medaling.  I think there is a lot of parity here, but the parity is echoed at the upper echelon of the wrestling talent/skill level.

16 minutes ago, GranbyTroll said:

Greco 67kg was pretty gnarly too. Borrero had to go through three senior level and one age level world champs. 

In the bracket above I referenced, the count was very close to (going from memory so may be off a few on total medals)

2 Olympic Champions

6 World Champions

10 former medalists 

combined for 12 gold and 23 total medals. (Again this may be slightly off,  but not much of so)

Zain going 0-1 is the logical pick here. Not favored against Tobier who in turn is not favored against any of the 3 possible quarters opponents. Hoping Zain can pull off some magic. Even if Tobier sneaks through, Zain is going to have to beat someone like Otoguro or Rashidov just to get to the medal match. I think he's good enough to medal with the right draw, but this isn't the right draw.

And for the record, I wouldn't feel good about Yianni's chances either. I think our impression of him is a little inflated after the all star win over Bajrang. US guys have been upsetting top guys at BTS for years. It almost never carries over. Yianni's good, but he's not that much better than Zain (or even better in the first place).

Edited by qc8223

Zain’s likely path to the semis is tough.

First he has Valdes (2x medalist from CUB).

Then he has either IRI or TKM.

Then he would likely have the winner of Rashidov/Otoguru.  

Definitely not easy.

Edited by Katie

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Check out the 75 bracket from Rio. Don’t know if you follow Greco world wide but even if you don’t, all you have to see is the medal list in the bracket. It was insane. 

Without looking it up that was when two 2012 Champs met in the first round, right? 

If Zain gets by Cuba, he has 2 matches where I think he's the favorite before going against a brutal quarter. It's bad but I don't think it's a death sentence. The 3rd quad looks pretty weak though especially compared to the bottom quad. I only see Khinchegashvilli making it out of it and he's been on the downswing of his career for a few years now. 

Hopefully, this is where the American conditioning can pay off and he can wear guys down. 

2 hours ago, Katie said:

Zain’s likely path to the semis is tough.

First he has Valdes (2x medalist from CUB).

Then he has either IRI or TKM.

Then he would likely have the winner of Rashidov/Otoguru.  

Definitely not easy.

Thank you for your insights Captain obvious.