Sign in to follow this  
lu1979

At least someone got a good draw

Michigan's Stevan Micic has areally nice draw at the 57kg weight.  He has a bye then his 2nd round match is Morocco, then 3rd round he will get the winner of Canada/Micronesia.  Winning those will put him in the quaters probably with Atli (Turk) or Davidovi (Italy).  

Speaking of schedule... once again I go to the USAWrestling.com site to check the event schedule.  Click on Events... the next event is in October, no mention of Senior World Championships...  So I poke around on the home page, no event schedule information.   Then it dawns on me that it's probably buried in a feature story... yep, there it is, rotating through the top stories of the past week.  Click on that and there's the Event Schedule on UnitedWorldWrestling's site.  Fine... maybe also put a link in the USAWrestling.com/Events page?  I fall for this every time.

Edited by headshuck

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

Michigan's Stevan Micic has areally nice draw at the 57kg weight.  He has a bye then his 2nd round match is Morocco, then 3rd round he will get the winner of Canada/Micronesia.  Winning those will put him in the quaters probably with Atli (Turk) or Davidovi (Italy).  

I believe Micic beat Atli 6-5 in the quarters of the European Games before losing to Amiraslanov (Azerbaijan) in the finals.

Edited by Katie

4 minutes ago, Katie said:

I believe Micic beat Atli 6-5 in the quarters of the European Championships before losing to Amiraslanov (Azerbaijan) in the finals.

Yeah. He had to mount a comeback for ut though, didn't he?

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Yeah. He had to mount a comeback for ut though, didn't he?

According to my google search, yes.

If Micic can get to the semis he’ll probably face Sanayev in front of his home crowd.

That’s a big “if” though. Atli is tough.

Man, these World's are not going the way I thought they would, I think that these Championships are the toughest they have been in the past few years.

In Greco, I really thought Coon and Hancock would medal, and I thought we would have more Women with medals by now. So far we have Winchester with the Gold, and Gray in the finals, and perhaps Snowflake can get the Bronze tomorrow. Last night watching our Women drop like three in a row was just tough. However, I expected that Gray was going to do well so with her making the finals, was really Kind of perfunctory to me. Now I knew that Snowflake was tough and gritty, but I worried that she was kind of economical with her offense, but  I thought that she did an excellent job. Unfortunately she lost her last bout in the closing seconds, but hopefully she comes out tomorrow and gets the Bronze. 

Our Women going tonight are just going to have to take a page out of Winchester, Gray and Snowflake's book, and battle tough and find a way to win. 

As far as Fix is concerned, right out the gate he has a Euro Bronze medalist, but I believe that he can get by this guy which probably leads him right into Takahashi. I don't know if these to have met in the past, or have any common opponents, but if Fix wants to medal at this event, he is going to have to find a way to beat this guy. Because I don't think Takahashi will make it all the way to the finals.

Zain, well all I can say is that he has to get on the gas pedal and get after it. Now I might be in the minority here, but I think Zain can and should be able to beat this guy. Why I say that is that I believe Zain has beaten some guys that beat Tobier at the past World Cup. Now I know that we can't put a lot of stock into that, but it is something. 

4 minutes ago, de4856 said:

Man, these World's are not going the way I thought they would, I think that these Championships are the toughest they have been in the past few years.

In Greco, I really thought Coon and Hancock would medal, and I thought we would have more Women with medals by now. So far we have Winchester with the Gold, and Gray in the finals, and perhaps Snowflake can get the Bronze tomorrow. Last night watching our Women drop like three in a row was just tough. However, I expected that Gray was going to do well so with her making the finals, was really Kind of perfunctory to me. Now I knew that Snowflake was tough and gritty, but I worried that she was kind of economical with her offense, but  I thought that she did an excellent job. Unfortunately she lost her last bout in the closing seconds, but hopefully she comes out tomorrow and gets the Bronze. 

Our Women going tonight are just going to have to take a page out of Winchester, Gray and Snowflake's book, and battle tough and find a way to win. 

As far as Fix is concerned, right out the gate he has a Euro Bronze medalist, but I believe that he can get by this guy which probably leads him right into Takahashi. I don't know if these to have met in the past, or have any common opponents, but if Fix wants to medal at this event, he is going to have to find a way to beat this guy. Because I don't think Takahashi will make it all the way to the finals.

Zain, well all I can say is that he has to get on the gas pedal and get after it. Now I might be in the minority here, but I think Zain can and should be able to beat this guy. Why I say that is that I believe Zain has beaten some guys that beat Tobier at the past World Cup. Now I know that we can't put a lot of stock into that, but it is something. 

Takahashi looked amazing in 2017 when he won gold. I’d think he’s capable of winning it all again.

2 hours ago, de4856 said:

This is true of anyone.  In order to medal, you have to win, or lose to a finalist, and then win.  You have to put it to the pedal.  Hopefully Fix and Zain can do that.  It would be great to see them do well.  You also must believe you are the bad draw.  They have to look at these draws as "Alrighty - I get to prove I'm the best!!  Challenge on!!"

mspart

2 hours ago, de4856 said:

I don't think you're in the minority there.  I think most of us believe Zain can beat Valdes-Tobier. 

It's just that most of us don't expect him to be the one that makes it out of the group of death (which is what I'm calling his quarter).  If Aliyev or Rashidov knock off Otoguro,  that makes matters even worse in the repechage.  And that may not even matter, because there's always a good chance Khin is the guy that makes the finals from this side of the bracket.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

55 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I don't think you're in the minority there.  I think most of us believe Zain can beat Valdes-Tobier. 

It's just that most of us don't expect him to be the one that makes it out of the group of death (which is what I'm calling his quarter).  If Aliyev or Rashidov knock off Otoguro,  that makes matters even worse in the repechage.  And that may not even matter, because there's always a good chance Khin is the guy that makes the finals from this side of the bracket.  

Tobier is a pretty heavy favorite over Zain. Zain won’t get outclassed but the only reason we are picking Zain over Tobier is because of how good the rest of the weight it. It makes it seem like Tobier is a middle of the pack guy. He beat freaking Aliev last year. 

Sure Zain could win, but Zain is more likely to go 0-1 than qualify the weight

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

Tobier is a pretty heavy favorite over Zain. Zain won’t get outclassed but the only reason we are picking Zain over Tobier is because of how good the rest of the weight it. It makes it seem like Tobier is a middle of the pack guy. He beat freaking Aliev last year. 

Sure Zain could win, but Zain is more likely to go 0-1 than qualify the weight

To be fair I believe Tobier is more likely to be 0-1 than to qualify the weight too. Even ground.

7 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Is say Tobier has a slightly more likely chance as he is a favorite over Zain, but point taken

Of course. I agree, when going on percentage of chance. Viewing it as one or the other makes it a different ballgame though.

I do think that IF Zain can get through the first match or two he may be able to balance the scale with conditioning.  Again, that is IF he can get through.  The matches will begin coming up faster and the deeper it gets into the rounds the more conditioning becomes a viable part of strategy. 

As for Fix, I keep going to the idea that I think the Fix now is better than any point of Gilmans run, and I like Gilman.  So I just keep going to the thought that Gilman was always either there or right there, so Fix should be able to get it done.  

6 hours ago, headshuck said:

Speaking of schedule... once again I go to the USAWrestling.com site to check the event schedule.  Click on Events... the next event is in October, no mention of Senior World Championships...  So I poke around on the home page, no event schedule information.   Then it dawns on me that it's probably buried in a feature story... yep, there it is, rotating through the top stories of the past week.  Click on that and there's the Event Schedule on UnitedWorldWrestling's site.  Fine... maybe also put a link in the USAWrestling.com/Events page?  I fall for this every time.

It is on the USA page.  When you click on Events the UWW Calendar comes up as an option.

7 hours ago, headshuck said:

Amateur feel part of the charm for many of us lol.

20 hours ago, Katie said:

According to my google search, yes.

If Micic can get to the semis he’ll probably face Sanayev in front of his home crowd.

That’s a big “if” though. Atli is tough.

Looks like Micic should be favored in his first repechage match, and will hopefully beat Sanayev for bronze.

Another big "if".

Was very surprised to read that Takahashi lost, and is now out.  Is Kumar that good, or was Takahashi not wrestling well?

Edit:  Just remembered that Kumar beat Micic in the first round at 2016 Junior Worlds, and since Micic came back for bronze, he must have subsequently made the final.

Micic was up couple takedowns for most of that match, but Kumar's pace was relentless, and he ended up winning 12-8.

Edited by whaletail