Jimmy Cinnabon

How would Yianni fare with Zain's draw?

If Yianni didn't win, he would have his fancy Cornell lawyers sue for getting such a bad draw and they would have to re-wrestle the entire bracket, but with Yianni switching places with Bajrang.

If Zain loses, Cael will just throw a chair.

Edited by Crotalus

50 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

If Yianni didn't win, he would have his fancy Cornell lawyers sue for getting such a bad draw and they would have to re-wrestle the entire bracket, but with Yianni switching places with Bajrang.

If Zain loses, Cael will just throw a chair.

Nice to see someone practice equal opportunity. 

Ok I’ll bite... I honestly think Yianni would do worse with this draw. The Cuban is tough and it seems Zain would be the better style match up to beat him. Solid positioning, constant pressure, and wear him out like Steiber did. The explosive finishes that Valdes has are probably the best counter to Yianni’s insane defense, so it’s just a bad style match up for him. My predictions for these two with this draw would be Yianni 0-1 and Zain 3-2

6 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Ok I’ll bite... I honestly think Yianni would do worse with this draw. The Cuban is tough and it seems Zain would be the better style match up to beat him. Solid positioning, constant pressure, and wear him out like Steiber did. The explosive finishes that Valdes has are probably the best counter to Yianni’s insane defense, so it’s just a bad style match up for him. My predictions for these two with this draw would be Yianni 0-1 and Zain 3-2

Go on...

10 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Can’t say I was too far off... Zain lost 10-9 so a very winnable match. I still believe he’s the better style match up to beat Valdes

As much as I'm a huge Yianni mark, I don't see him faring any better.  You never know, but I think it's fair to acknowledge that neither are Tier 1 65ers.

I also agree that Zain's likely the more positionally sound defensive wrestler.  Ironically, that was one of his most effective adjustments over the course of their battle to make the world team.

20 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Can’t say I was too far off... Zain lost 10-9 so a very winnable match. I still believe he’s the better style match up to beat Valdes

You suggested Yianni would go 0-1 with the draw, so if you just replace Yianni with Zain in your prediction you would be spot on.  

Yianni has 3 recent wins over 2 of the semifinalists, so he's right there. Not sure he would have gotten through that bracket either (or at least to Rashidov), but he's not far off whatever your "Tier 1" is. Zain has had the upper hand head-to-head, but I'm less convinced than ever that Zain's abilities translate to world-level success the way I think Yianni's do. 

Just now, maligned said:

Yianni has 3 recent wins over 2 of the semifinalists, so he's right there. Not sure he would have gotten through that bracket either (or at least to Rashidov), but he's not far off whatever your "Tier 1" is. Zain has had the upper hand head-to-head, but I'm less convinced than ever that Zain's abilities translate to world-level success the way I think Yianni's do. 

I tend to agree as well that Yianni's style is much more suited for international competition..While Zain's style is very good at beating Yianni and other Americans.  However, it's also possible that Yianni's wins over these semifinalists were during off peak training tournaments and Yianni is just a very consistent wrestler.  So when he faces top guys at random international tournaments he wins, but when it comes to the big events he doesn't (Metcalf had this same issue).  I hope getting past Zain is just a learning curve though and Yianni really is world class like he shows throughout the FS season.  

2 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I tend to agree as well that Yianni's style is much more suited for international competition..While Zain's style is very good at beating Yianni and other Americans.  However, it's also possible that Yianni's wins over these semifinalists were during off peak training tournaments and Yianni is just a very consistent wrestler.  So when he faces top guys at random international tournaments he wins, but when it comes to the big events he doesn't (Metcalf had this same issue).  I hope getting past Zain is just a learning curve though and Yianni really is world class like he shows throughout the FS season.  

He beat Bajrang less than 2 weeks after Bajrang won the Asian title. If you watched the match, you know Bajrang was full go the whole time, including arguing calls when it was a charity event. I did forget that Musukaev forfeited their second encounter. He looks just as out of shape today as he did when Yianni beat him though. 

1 hour ago, maligned said:

He beat Bajrang less than 2 weeks after Bajrang won the Asian title. If you watched the match, you know Bajrang was full go the whole time, including arguing calls when it was a charity event. I did forget that Musukaev forfeited their second encounter. He looks just as out of shape today as he did when Yianni beat him though. 

Impossible.  If he was just as out of shape there is no way he would have been able to wrestle 5 matches and 3 of them going 6 minutes.

I suppose Transitive Property only works when its conducive to the argument?

Zain beat Yianni, Yianni Beat Zain, back and forth.  Zain won the spot.  Zain lost to Tobier.  Tobier lost.  Zain is eliminated.  Zain has hung with other top contenders, including Rashidov.  I see no evidence that Yianni would have done any better in this identical draw.  

To say otherwise is intellectual dishonesty.  Our team at 65kg is "tough as nails" internal to the USA, and is in the general conversation internationally, but just not quite there.  There are monsters worldwide at this weight, and it was proved again today.

51 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

Impossible.  If he was just as out of shape there is no way he would have been able to wrestle 5 matches and 3 of them going 6 minutes.

He had his hands on his knees gasping for breath from a minute in to every match. He intentionally went 6 minutes in his first match--letting his opponent get a couple takedowns so he could get more of a warmup. But he was still bent over gasping for breath from early in the 2nd. I mean, he was still going for it against Rashidov at the end--but I'm not sure the right type of match with the right type of drawn-out scrambles wouldn't have made him look silly like he did against Yianni. He's a mad beast for his 5-second bursts, though, that's for sure.

3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

So when he faces top guys at random international tournaments he wins, but when it comes to the big events he doesn't (Metcalf had this same issue). 

Why would we assume this? When he has won a age level world title. There is no evidence that he he can't win at big events internationally because he hasn't wrestled in any senior level ones, unless you are considering Final X and the Trials. 

I think Zain, Cael, and Co. are great at scouting and found a way to beat Yianni. They may find a way to beat him again, but Yianni has a diverse skill set that can beat guys that Zain just can not. I also think that Zain is stronger and more mature at this time and is a bit suffocating for Yianni. The more time passes the less advantage Zain has in this department. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.