buckeyehomer

3 exciting teams for the future

I was thinking about these three programs that are either up and coming or in route to reestablishing glory. Really interested to see how they do this season.

Rutgers: Had their first two champs in school history this year and brought in the #4 recruiting class in the country with 5 top 100 recruits. They have arrived and will look to continue to keep the best jersey kids home.

Iowa State: Year two was a success for the Cyclones and now they will have World Champion David Carr in the mix plus #6 recruiting class in the country.

Wisconsin: Very excited for Bono's second season. They have Gross this year, brought in a fantastic #7 recruiting class and just got a commitment from Braxton Amos. Having Hillger AA as a freshman was big as well!

12 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

They can only go up from finishing 12th. 3 returning AAs, 1 2x R12, and a lot of younger guys who can put up a lot of points.  

They feel to me like a trendier version of Nebraska. They've always got some guys in the hunt, big legacy, but the team is never really relevant. 

How about Little Rock and Presbyterian?

On another note, for anybody else who's on Twitter, I kindly ask you guys and gals give @LIUWrestling a follow. Let's get their follower count up in advance of their inaugural season of Division I...

Edited by SetonHallPirate

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

They feel to me like a trendier version of Nebraska. They've always got some guys in the hunt, big legacy, but the team is never really relevant. 

Unlike Nebraska, they have won an NCAA title before.  Also unlike Nebraska they had the program cut recently, only to be restored within a week, but still.  They also were awful for a few years, if not for transfers and them luckly having Robles in their backyard they wouldn't have made much noise recently at all.  I think they finished like 56th in Shawn Charles last year as coach or something like that.  They got a very good coach and recruited about a million times better than they were before.  I think they take home a trophy this year.  

5 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Unlike Nebraska, they have won an NCAA title before.  Also unlike Nebraska they had the program cut recently, only to be restored within a week, but still.  They also were awful for a few years, if not for transfers and them luckly having Robles in their backyard they wouldn't have made much noise recently at all.  I think they finished like 56th in Shawn Charles last year as coach or something like that.  They got a very good coach and recruited about a million times better than they were before.  I think they take home a trophy this year.  

Nothing you said isn't true, but a lot of it wasn't pertinent to my comment. I was just comparing the vibe the programs give off currently.

I am not sold on Jones as a head coach who can take home a trophy. 

On 9/19/2019 at 5:59 PM, hammerlockthree said:

Nothing you said isn't true, but a lot of it wasn't pertinent to my comment. I was just comparing the vibe the programs give off currently.

I am not sold on Jones as a head coach who can take home a trophy. 

This is the year they do it.  They're going to need help from some true fresh but the true fresh they have are extremely talented and should and score some points at nationals.  Also some guys coming off RS should help.  Teemer, Norfleet and Hall should all at the very least be R12.  Anthony Valencia needs to break through and get his AA finish too.  I think they finish up with 5 AAs total.  

Indiana U - Heck of a coaching staff brought together in the Hoosier state.   Seem to be heading in the right direction.

Oklahoma U - Lou's Ohio connection has helped the Sooners pick up some blue chippers.  

Wisco - Already mentioned.

15 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

This is the year they do it.  They're going to need help from some true fresh but the true fresh they have are extremely talented and should and score some points at nationals.  Also some guys coming off RS should help.  Teemer, Norfleet and Hall should all at the very least be R12.  Anthony Valencia needs to break through and get his AA finish too.  I think they finish up with 5 AAs total.  

Fair enough, message me if you want to make a friendly wager.

ASU has 6 guys who will be ranked top 8 including a #1. The other 4 weights are all credentialed but unproven. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Chlebove and Norfleet top 8 by the end of the season either. 

They need a guy like Anthony to be top 3 at 174 (weight almost completely cleared out so it’s possible) and for one of the freshman 125-141 to AA. If the rest go chalk ASU is top 3 and maybe champ

9 hours ago, Housebuye said:

ASU has 6 guys who will be ranked top 8 including a #1. The other 4 weights are all credentialed but unproven. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Chlebove and Norfleet top 8 by the end of the season either. 

They need a guy like Anthony to be top 3 at 174 (weight almost completely cleared out so it’s possible) and for one of the freshman 125-141 to AA. If the rest go chalk ASU is top 3 and maybe champ

Outside of zahid and last year Shields ASU has consistently underperformed at ncaas. Anthony Valencia and Hall seem to have regressed since there freshman year. I find it very unlikely now they are gonna put it all together and not just get a trophy but win the whole thing..with it being a down year best case I can see them cracking the top 4 but that’s with everything going perfect for them 

Edited by Antitroll2828

11 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Chlebove what weight you see him at.I see he certed weighing between 149.1 &156.9.I had heard 125 was a option but 133 makes more sense

On 9/19/2019 at 10:36 AM, SetonHallPirate said:

How about Little Rock and Presbyterian?

On another note, for anybody else who's on Twitter, I kindly ask you guys and gals give @LIUWrestling a follow. Let's get their follower count up in advance of their inaugural season of Division I...

I have two accounts, followed on both.

17 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I think A. Valencia pulls it together and makes a run, he will definitely AA.  Just a question of where he ends up.  He has the skills to beat Hall, just has the head game issues that have kept him off the podium so far.  I'd say finishing 5th is about right for him. Anything higher and it's a bonus.  Zahid should win at 84. I think him not having to cut as much will help, he'll be fresher and faster.  Hall, if he's the starter, should end up around 4th or 5th. It depends on his draw, but if he can avoid any of the top guys until the quarters, he's got a good shot at something. He only lost 3-2 to Steveson last year, so we'll see.  Shields should at least replicate his performance last year. Other than Marinelli and Joseph there aren't a lot of top end guys at 65 since Lewis is taking a RS.  If he gets a good draw he could end up doing much better.  Teemer is a great talent and he has the talent to be there, but who knows. I think he will AA, just kind of like A. Valencia, the question is where. Norfleet is a talented wrestler who the last 2 years has just been wrestling so hopefully his injury last year didn't set him back too much.  He's an R12 guy, but with the right circumstances pulls off an AA finish.  Maruca is a tough competitor who has been a great Sun Devil but I could see him going 2-2 or something.  Maybe if he gets on a hot streak he puts together a R12 or low AA, but I wouldn't bet on it happening.  After that who knows who will be at 41, 33 and 25.  Lots of talent, but not much college experience.  If ASU can scrape together some points from there, then they're in play and don't need to rely on guys to overperform.  

On 9/21/2019 at 7:32 AM, stp said:

Indiana U - Heck of a coaching staff brought together in the Hoosier state.   Seem to be heading in the right direction.

Wisconsin gets a fast lane with the addition of a proven coaching name.   It may not show in their overall record this year, but they will be in a lot of close matches and a lot of high hopes going forward.   

Oklahoma has now had a few years of Lou’s influence so should be at a point where results are coming from his system.  Not to mention he was a hot coaching name for a number of years prior which should have helped a little in jump starting recruiting a little.   So Lou’s at a point where some improved individual and team results should be coming this year or next year or two.  If not some questions marks may be stating to occur in Sooner land.

Indiana’s the one we are going to have to be a little more patient with.  I still think we are a year or maybe two out from seeing some real fruitful returns from the Angel and staff.  The type of return that will start attracting the next level of recruits considering IU as final choice.  Angel and staff just took over the program a year back and lets face it he had a lot to build back up.  A lot of coaching change overs have this hill to climb, but being in the Big 10 has made it a 90 degree cliff with where IU was previously.  IU is a Big 10 school and it had fallen to the point where it was hard to attract even mid-level recruits there in the past several years.  As a 1st time unproven head coach,  Angel still has to prove a true culture change before those high quality recruits will want to squad.  The ones that could really move IU’s up the Big 10 ladder.  Last year’s mat attitude shows the team welcomed the change in leadership.  And I’m sure we will see a grittier Hoosier squad again this year, with some more individual and team advancement.  But it may take another season before some of the engrained wrestling habits of Goldman’s remaining guys (by then the upperclass guys) are completely shed and Angels recruits begin to take hold of the varsity squad.  Then a year after that to show Angel can build his early recruits (who were mostly middle ranked guys in HS) into Big 10 level competitors.  Hopefully that be enough proof of upward momentum to entice the next tier of top recruits to consider IU to be a viable option.