Crash

Continental and Last Chance Olympic Qualifying Tourneys

2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Yes.

Thanks.

Do you also happen to know if they do a "true second".  The reason I am asking is bc if they don't and we send Zain (or whoever) and hit him before the finals, we could have an issue.

BTW, the Last Chance tourney is scheduled only a couple of days before OTT so no way that anyone we send to Last Chance will also be at OTTs.  Even scarier, if we send someone to last Chance and they don't get it done, that weight would be cancelled at OTTs.

No true second. No seeding.  Random draw Pan Am tournament and need to place Top 2. Then random draw last-chance world qualifier and need to place Top 2. We've had problems in the past because of being randomly draw in before the final against the 1 or 2 guys that are on our level.

1 minute ago, maligned said:

No true second. No seeding.  Random draw Pan Am tournament and need to place Top 2. Then random draw last-chance world qualifier and need to place Top 2. We've had problems in the past because of being randomly draw in before the final against the 1 or 2 guys that are on our level.

I’m pretty sure they said they are seeding top 2 at Pam ams 

11 minutes ago, scribe said:

The Cuban who just beat Zain will be at pan ams looking to do the same. 

Fine, so  Zain (or another American)  can take second (or first)  and  still qualify the  weight.

3 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I’m pretty sure they said they are seeding top 2 at Pam ams 

Gotcha..they haven't in the past.

3 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

When are pan ams?

The Pan Am championships are first weekend of March and the Pan Am OG qualifier is the second weekend--both in Ottawa.

34 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Shouldn't the US be able to qualify every weight at Pan Ams? I know we  needed some last chances in 2016. But why would we not be able to take at least second at Pan Ams?

Technically the Continental Qualifying tourney is separate from Pan Ams, but your question still stands (for that event).

Well, at 65 Zain lost to a guy from Cuba (who also did not qualify his weight for the Olympics) so he will be at Pan Ams.  If there is no true second and he is in the same half of draw as us, we would have a problem.  Also, as they say, "anything can happen". 

2 hours ago, Crash said:

Technically the Continental Qualifying tourney is separate from Pan Ams, but your question still stands (for that event).

Well, at 65 Zain lost to a guy from Cuba (who also did not qualify his weight for the Olympics) so he will be at Pan Ams.  If there is no true second and he is in the same half of draw as us, we would have a problem.  Also, as they say, "anything can happen". 

Right, so if the continentals are seeded, our guys need to get some seeding points so they don't hit the Cuban until the finals.

2 hours ago, Crash said:

Thanks.

Do you also happen to know if they do a "true second".  The reason I am asking is bc if they don't and we send Zain (or whoever) and hit him before the finals, we could have an issue.

BTW, the Last Chance tourney is scheduled only a couple of days before OTT so no way that anyone we send to Last Chance will also be at OTTs.  Even scarier, if we send someone to last Chance and they don't get it done, that weight would be cancelled at OTTs.

I thought last chance was after OTT?  I just remember seeing in the procedures a section where it stated if the weight was not yet qualified the winner of OTT would compete at the last chance (ala Cox in ‘16)

I thought last chance was after OTT?  I just remember seeing in the procedures a section where it stated if the weight was not yet qualified the winner of OTT would compete at the last chance (ala Cox in ‘16)

Double check the UWW website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Chet said:

Here's another interesting twist to 65kg.... What if Gomez from PR decides to drop down to 65 for the Pan Am Qualifier?

Gomez couldn't make 65kg now and be as competitive as he is.  He outgrew the weight a few years ago and has focused on making a run for 74kg for 2020 because of it.

18 hours ago, Chet said:

Here's another interesting twist to 65kg.... What if Gomez from PR decides to drop down to 65 for the Pan Am Qualifier?

Assuming he could still make 65 under the current rules, then that's his and his NGB's choice.  

On 9/19/2019 at 8:50 AM, scribe said:

The Cuban who just beat Zain will be at pan ams looking to do the same. 

Likely already mentioned, but shouldn't he and Zain make the finals, thus qualifying the weight?

Obviously less than ideal, with little to no margin for error, but qualifying the weight should still be relatively straightforward, no?

Unless there's a third hammer expected at Pan Ams that I've forgotten?

On 9/19/2019 at 9:20 AM, Crash said:

Isn't that where the Continental Qualifying tourney being separate actually helps?

As in, where the Pan Ams wouldn't feature true second, the CQ will require it?

Reminds me of Big 10s, where the actual tournament only wrestles to 8th place, but in those weights will 9 or more automatic bids, they wrestled for true 9th.