Jump to content
maligned

Is Zain becoming Metcalf 2.0?

Recommended Posts

Similarities between Zain and Metcalf:

1. 65kg

2. Prolific college career

3. Engine

4. Persistence

5. Ability to stifle in-country, familiar styles to get world spots

6. Below-average athleticism at the world level severely limiting the transferability of their skills from folk to international-level freestyle

I hope the same repeated disappointments don't befall Zain, but he's on a similar path so far and his matches feel very similar.

Edited by maligned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Zain won gold as a  cadet. Did he wrestle junior worlds at all?  If so, how did he do?

Didn't make a team.  I think he lost to Pico.  For comparison Metcalf did not wrestle cadets (maybe there weren't any at that time), made one junior team and DNP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fishbane said:

Didn't make a team.  I think he lost to Pico.  For comparison Metcalf did not wrestle cadets (maybe there weren't any at that time), made one junior team and DNP. 

You are correct, Zain lost to Pico for the Jr World team spot 2 years in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

For what it's worth, Brent's record was 3-4 in 4 world's appearances. So far Zain is 1-2-in 2 appearances. It appears he's on track. Big fan of Zain-hope he medals before his career is over.

Why is Metcalf such a whipping boy? He won the World Cup and made the Yarygin finals twice?

Is it possible that Metcalf and Retherford both cut too much weight? Both wrestled at 149 in college and then went down to 143  for freestyle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NJDan said:

Why is Metcalf such a whipping boy? He won the World Cup and made the Yarygin finals twice?

Is it possible that Metcalf and Retherford both cut too much weight? Both wrestled at 149 in college and then went down to 143  for freestyle. 

I think it's because he won World Cup and made Yarygin finals that expectations were so high for him (including his outstanding college reputation). Every year he showed he was right there with the best in the world but just couldn't get it done.

He's not a whipping boy in my mind. I'll always view him as a guy who could have won multiple medals but things didn't go his way when it mattered the most. Mad respect for Metcalf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Every year he showed he was right there with the best in the world but just couldn't get it done.

Metcalf raised his game, showed improvement. For instance: In the early years of his freestyle tenure Metcalf lost to Hasanov (now at 79kg!) but then Metcalf won the later matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Novak said:

Makes you wonder about Diakomihalis too.  

YD is a much better athlete than ZR.  At the international level all of those guys appear to be great athletes not just wrestlers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Is it possible that Metcalf and Retherford both cut too much weight? Both wrestled at 149 in college and then went down to 143  for freestyle. 

If you want to compare Metcalf and Zain that’s fair (though probably premature), but one of the biggest factors they have in common is they’re both tweeners. I don’t think either belong at 143lbs, but I also don’t think they are big enough to go 165lbs. 

If you look at all of our NCAA weights and how they fit into Olympic weight classes, I think 149lbs has the worst fit. 16lbs is just too much to make the jump to 74kg...and cutting another 6lbs down from 149 is brutal for most guys at that weight. 

When you have a 20lb gap in weight classes in the middle weights it’s going to screw some guys over...and in this case it’s guys who would naturally wrestle between 150-155lbs if given the chance. That’s clearly Metcalf and Zain. That’s inevitable when you only have 6 weight classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MDogg said:

If you want to compare Metcalf and Zain that’s fair (though probably premature), but one of the biggest factors they have in common is they’re both tweeners. I don’t think either belong at 143lbs, but I also don’t think they are big enough to go 165lbs. 

If you look at all of our NCAA weights and how they fit into Olympic weight classes, I think 149lbs has the worst fit. 16lbs is just too much to make the jump to 74kg...and cutting another 6lbs down from 149 is brutal for most guys at that weight. 

When you have a 20lb gap in weight classes in the middle weights it’s going to screw some guys over...and in this case it’s guys who would naturally wrestle between 150-155lbs if given the chance. That’s clearly Metcalf and Zain. That’s inevitable when you only have 6 weight classes.

Great point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Maybe they should both be at 154, at least in non-Olympic years.   Of course, I have no idea  if ZR really has a problem with the cut.

Thought I heard last year there was a chance he would go 70kg but ultimately decided to take a year off to help manage weight and get healthy for this year and Olympic run. All speculation of course.

Wonder if he tests the waters at 70 after the Olympics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...