maligned

Day 7 draws and discussion...Green, Burroughs, Cox, Gwiz

Decent group of guys going tomorrow:

Green starts off as a heavy favorite vs. De Marinis of Canada, but he'll get Ganzorig or Gadzhiev second round and potentially Batirov in the quarters.

Burroughs will have Nurykau of Belarus in the R32 before what should be an easier second round opponent. In the quarters, he'll face one of Demirtas, Gomez, Bekzod, Gadzhiev, the Iranian, or the Cuban coming out of an absolutely brutal 1/8 of the bracket. Sidakov awaits in the semi's.

Cox has possibly Nurgaipuly of Kazakhstan in the quarters and Mtsituri of Georgia in the semi's as seemingly the only resistance to him arriving in another final.

After a bye, Gwiz will most likely have Mohebi of Iran in the R16 and possibly Khugaev of Russia in the quarters. 

In the quarters, he'll face one of Demirtas, Gomez, Bekzod, Gadzhiev, the Iranian, or the Cuban coming out of an absolutely brutal 1/8 of the bracket. Sidakov awaits in the semi's.

That was the first thing that caught my eye. Rough

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Decent group of guys going tomorrow:

Green starts off as a heavy favorite vs. De Marinis of Canada, but he'll get Ganzorig or Gadzhiev second round and potentially Batirov in the quarters.

Burroughs will have Nurykau of Belarus in the R32 before what should be an easier second round opponent. In the quarters, he'll face one of Demirtas, Gomez, Bekzod, Gadzhiev, the Iranian, or the Cuban coming out of an absolutely brutal 1/8 of the bracket. Sidakov awaits in the semi's.

Cox has possibly Nurgaipuly of Kazakhstan in the quarters and Mtsituri of Georgia in the semi's as seemingly the only resistance to him arriving in another final.

After a bye, Gwiz will most likely have Mohebi of Iran in the R16 and possibly Khugaev of Russia in the quarters. 

Don't disagree with anything you said.  I posted similar thoughts in the other thread.  I would just add a couple things...

Burroughs: I think the weight cut is a real consideration for him, so I like the fact that he's got a bye, even if his first match will be tough.  Also, whoever makes it out of his opposite 1/8 will have been through a couple of wars.  And, hopefully this doesn't come into play, but if Burroughs loses to Sidakov again, the path to bronze looks pretty easy.  

Gwiz: has wins over both Mohebi and Khugaev.  If he makes the semi I like him to take bronze... it's a very similar path to his first bronze in 2017.  

39 minutes ago, Gantry said:

It's doubly weird as a fan because I'm big fans of them both and they both wrestle JB super tough, so I'm not sure who I want to win this one.  Think I'll abstain...

I don't think it even matters.  Bekzod and Demirtas are essentially even, with Gomez probably a hair behind them.  All three are super stingy, and will wrestle JB tough.  

If I had to pick for Burroughs I'd probably pick Gomez, but he's no cake walk.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

Overall good draws. 

Gwiz should make semis and win bronze without a major upset. 

Green has the ability to beat gabzorig and Batirov. He has a path to the finals. 

JB has a tough draw but we knew if he wanted a better one he should’ve gone to more ranking tournaments. That was his decision. 

Cox cant have a bad draw. There aren’t any major threats. He has to perform but he is a favorite against everyone in the field by a fair margin. 

Gwiz has a great shot at getting to the semis.  I think he will at least do that and maybe he gives Geno a run for his money.

Cox has a great draw and if he doesn't make the finals I'll be shocked.  

Green probably has the worst of it, but he is capable of making the finals. It just depends on which Green shows up to wrestle. 

Burroughs is the bad draw.  He should have enough time to get himself warmed up for the quarters. The only person on his half that I'm not sure of is the Russian. If he makes the finals he's the favorite, and barring an injury he should.