Katie

74 kg discussion

20 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

JB has never lost to the same guy twice.

Barring some big upset before the quarters, 48 hours from now either JB will be world champ again or that statement will no longer be true.

Sidakov has a slick throwby, is better at setups from the ties than JB & has great defense.  JB's freight train double didn't have the same demoralizing affect on Sidakov that it had on Tsargush back in the day.  All that said, JB doesn't lose to Sidakov again, at least not this year IMO. 

Fun to speculate but honestly I'm more worried about JB getting to the semis than the Sidakov matchup itself right now, he'll have to be on point.   

6 minutes ago, airmail said:

Sidakov has a slick throwby, is better at setups from the ties than JB & has great defense.  JB's freight train double didn't have the same demoralizing affect on Sidakov that it had on Tsargush back in the day.  All that said, JB doesn't lose to Sidakov again, at least not this year IMO. 

Fun to speculate but honestly I'm more worried about JB getting to the semis than the Sidakov matchup itself right now, he'll have to be on point.   

I hear you, but the only match JB isn’t favored is Sidakov. It isn’t a cake walk to get there by any means.

also if he loses to anyone else on the way he will not medal or qualify the weight. That would be kind of crazy 

Overall, from top bracket: Semis - Chamizo vs Kentchadze. Chamizo's draw is relatively easy until Semis. One tough match prior to Semis could be with Kaisanov.

bottom bracket -  Semis- JB vs Sidakov. JB has a tough matches even prior ( as mentioned by other posters) to Semis.

I think Finals will be Chamizo vs Sidakov. 

Few interesting matches to watch 

Kentchadze)GEO) vs Khadjiev (FR)

Garzon (CUB)vs Afzali (IRI). I am picking Garzon

Garzon(CUB) vs ABDURAKHMANOV(UZB)

JB vs Sidakov

3 hours ago, Perry said:

The fact that chamizo literally forfeited a finals appearance vs Burroughs and stoll got the 1 seed is absurd

He didn't steal it. He earned the #1 seed by garnering himself more placement points at the appropriate tournaments throughout the year.  Burroughs had all the same chances to go to the same tournaments, save for Euros(which Chamizo did not get to go to PanAms so it's a wash there).

It is Burroughs, as well as USA Wrestlings to some degree, fault for not attempting to get the #1 seed.  I imagine we will see a change in that, being as it looks like EVERY #1 seed has a walk so far.

6 hours ago, Katie said:

Lots of competitors entered at 74kg. Chamizo is the #1 seed. JB is #2. And Sidakov is #3.

If JB makes it to the finals, here are his likely opponents:

• R32- Nurykau (Belarus). He's a good wrestler who has beaten iMart
  • Nurykau lost to Gor 7-0
  • R16- the winner of Kuramagomedov (Hungary)/Kirov (Bulgaria). Should be manageable.
  • Quarters- whoever comes out alive between Gomez, Bezkod, and Demirtas. Won't be easy.
  • Semis- Sidakov. Very tough.
  • Finals- Chamizo. Very tough.

See above

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He didn't steal it. He earned the #1 seed by garnering himself more placement points at the appropriate tournaments throughout the year.  Burroughs had all the same chances to go to the same tournaments, save for Euros(which Chamizo did not get to go to PanAms so it's a wash there).

It is Burroughs, as well as USA Wrestlings to some degree, fault for not attempting to get the #1 seed.  I imagine we will see a change in that, being as it looks like EVERY #1 seed has a walk so far.

Not exactly. My understanding is that the points awarded for continental championships are weighted to the number of participants. Therefore most of our guys have a seeding disadvantage when comparing PanAm points to Euros/Asian championships.

I think JB is as likely to not place as he is to win Gold. Perhaps more likely to not place. He doesn't have the raw explosiveness he once had. After seeing the draw, I predict a 5th place finish, qualifying the weight for the Olympics.  

5 hours ago, CaliWrestler said:

Not after JB got his hands on him and got a feel for them

Here's hoping for a great match regardless of the victor, and Sidakov's second world title  :P

Just as long as either of them beat Chamizo.  Quitting in the final to keep his easy placement in this tournament is kind of...  not a good look

6 minutes ago, sidakova4991 said:

Here's hoping for a great match regardless of the victor, and Sidakov's second world title  :P

Just as long as either of them beat Chamizo.  Quitting in the final to keep his easy placement in this tournament is kind of...  not a good look

Agree on you that JB will beat Chamizo, all black final....Always bet on black....;)

2 hours ago, sidakova4991 said:

As mentioned by someone elsewhere, the head-to-head wouldn't matter for his placement. If he lost to JB, it would have been the same as his forfeit and he would still be the 1 seed.

3 hours ago, Giovanni said:

Not exactly. My understanding is that the points awarded for continental championships are weighted to the number of participants. Therefore most of our guys have a seeding disadvantage when comparing PanAm points to Euros/Asian championships.

That's fine and that's as may be. Is the reason Chamizo earned the #1 seed over Burroughs because of this?

For no real reason other than gut feeling I think JB either DNP or Wins gold.  I worry more about JB getting beat in the round of 16 or the quarters. I know he has talked about his weight cut in the past and trying to conserve energy in some matches.  It seems like when that happens he leaves himself open to losses.  I think if he gets to semi's "All He Will See Is Gold". :-).  If he gets to the semi's I think he hits another gear.  It is those early rounds where he may hold back a little and try not to expend a lot of energy that concern me.  If that happens I don't think he will get pulled back in because Sidakov will go to the finals if JB isn't there. 

8 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I don't mean any offense here, but of course we've all considered this.  It's just not helpful to say because it doesn't really add much to the discussion.

IMO, the "YOU'RE THE BAD DRAW!!! NOBODY WANTS TO SEE YOU IN THE BRACKET!!!" talk is for lazy coaches that can't think of any better way to prepare their wrestlers. 

So be it.  But if you're not the bad draw in your own head, what the heck are you doing there?   If you think you have a bad draw at at tourney like this, you need to work on something.  And you are not the right person to be there.  You can argue and say that's lazy.  I think JB thinks otherwise.  He's not there to take 5th.   All he sees is gold!! 

All the talk about a bad draw is making excuses for losing.  That's all it is.  Oh well, Zain and Daton had bad draws, they were bound to lose in the gauntlet.  Its a way for the lazy person to be pleasantly surprised when they overcome against all odds.

mspart

2 hours ago, scramble said:

For no real reason other than gut feeling I think JB either DNP or Wins gold.  I worry more about JB getting beat in the round of 16 or the quarters. I know he has talked about his weight cut in the past and trying to conserve energy in some matches.  It seems like when that happens he leaves himself open to losses.  I think if he gets to semi's "All He Will See Is Gold". :-).  If he gets to the semi's I think he hits another gear.  It is those early rounds where he may hold back a little and try not to expend a lot of energy that concern me.  If that happens I don't think he will get pulled back in because Sidakov will go to the finals if JB isn't there. 

Yep, for sure agreed. 

13 hours ago, sidakova4991 said:

Well played SIdakov is the man at 74kg 

9 hours ago, mspart said:

So be it.  But if you're not the bad draw in your own head, what the heck are you doing there?   If you think you have a bad draw at at tourney like this, you need to work on something.  And you are not the right person to be there.  You can argue and say that's lazy.  I think JB thinks otherwise.  He's not there to take 5th.   All he sees is gold!! 

All the talk about a bad draw is making excuses for losing.  That's all it is.  Oh well, Zain and Daton had bad draws, they were bound to lose in the gauntlet.  Its a way for the lazy person to be pleasantly surprised when they overcome against all odds.

mspart

Did you just watch the tournament?  Didn't you just see how JB's tough earlier matches may have impacted the others?  A bad draw is not making an excuse for losing when you don't get enough rest for your body to recover, especially when you are 31.  

The draw is a big reason Varner won olympic gold at 97 kg, since the top guys in the weight all destroyed each other and were gassed from earlier matches.  

Right? Anyone can wrestle ranking events... Chamizo did? I dont see how fans think he should be punished for sitting a match, when he literally wrestled the most high level tournaments of anyone. Hence earning the most points as a returning non-medalist....  Also whoever said Sidakov is tougher matchup than Chamizo.. "lol" Last year as surprise entrant, he had a miraculous run. He has been really close with "the field" since... and with the target on his back I don't see the big dogs getting caught sleeping.

If anyone but Burroughs comes out of the bottom side I'll favor Chamizo. If it is JB. Its a toss.

Also note . JBs first match terrifies me.

I think he is pretty solid through semis after that we'll see

Also ....I think Franklin actually navigates his way to JB

Wrong about Franklin, but right about the first match, and Chamizo being favored over Sidakov..... :)

Frank Chamizo World Champ

18 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Did you just watch the tournament?  Didn't you just see how JB's tough earlier matches may have impacted the others?  A bad draw is not making an excuse for losing when you don't get enough rest for your body to recover, especially when you are 31.  

The draw is a big reason Varner won olympic gold at 97 kg, since the top guys in the weight all destroyed each other and were gassed from earlier matches.  

JB still the man, 31 and still doing JB things, this weight cut his age is just catching up.  Nothing else he still has the skills just doesn't have the same explosiveness that he did when he was in his prime.