Sign in to follow this  
Katie

65kg semis: Bajrang (IND) vs. Niyazbekov (KAZ)

In one particular sequence, Niyazbekov was awarded four points. Bajrang challenged the call and lost, giving Niyazbekov another point.

By the end of the match, Niyazbekov looked very worn down, but he won 9-9 anyway (on criteria, because of the four-point move).

I'm no expert on freestyle scoring, but the sequence Niyazbekov got four points for looked to me like Bajrang should have been awarded points -- not Niyazbekov.

Can someone who saw this match explain what happened to me?

Edited by Katie

That was the worst call I've seen this season. SHOCKINGLY the home town hero got a suspicious interpretation of the well defined and understood head pinch sequence. SHOCKINGLY! 

The refs would hang their hats on the fact that Kaz touched Bajy's leg at some point during the head pinch. The current interpretation is that if the shooting wrestler holds onto the legs and comes on top then all the points go to the shooting wrestler. Kaz didn't shoot, though, as much as he touched Bajy's knee after he was already going over. 

6 minutes ago, GranbyTroll said:

That was the worst call I've seen this season. SHOCKINGLY the home town hero got a suspicious interpretation of the well defined and understood head pinch sequence. SHOCKINGLY! 

The refs would hang their hats on the fact that Kaz touched Bajy's leg at some point during the head pinch. The current interpretation is that if the shooting wrestler holds onto the legs and comes on top then all the points go to the shooting wrestler. Kaz didn't shoot, though, as much as he touched Bajy's knee after he was already going over. 

Really sucks for Bajrang

=(

Edited by Katie

This is quietly one of the worst officiated matches I’ve seen of the tournament so far, more so because of the chair...

- 4 point move by Kaz- I just can’t help but see that clearly as Bajrangs move... I think if he didn’t land so flat it would have been easily his 4  and it’s hard not say that was a homer call...

-First/second hands to the face white paddled- I don’t recall a warning given before this but it was clear he was getting hands to the face by the KAZ and the official even awarded 1 to Bajrang only to have it white paddled by the chair! I haven’t been watching international long but I haven’t seen a call like that white paddled.

- unfortunate step out, this was more on bajrang and I have to watch it again to see if it was a push out but it was a terrible 1 to give up

- The lack of calls for stalling on the KAZ- he could have been easily called for stalling before it was called. Taking all that time to get to the center and sitting and catching his breath on the side of the mat with Bajrang pleading for him to come back to the center was really unfortunate

-The ridiculous cube thrown by the chair that almost seemed designed to give the KAZ a breather... 

I feel like there were other things but at first I felt like Bajrang wasn’t wrestling as hard as he usually does and then there was call after call not going against the KAZ and the terrible 4 call at the beginning.... That was very frustrating to watch.

22 minutes ago, DoubleHalf said:

This is quietly one of the worst officiated matches I’ve seen of the tournament so far, more so because of the chair...

- 4 point move by Kaz- I just can’t help but see that clearly as Bajrangs move... I think if he didn’t land so flat it would have been easily his 4  and it’s hard not say that was a homer call...

-First/second hands to the face white paddled- I don’t recall a warning given before this but it was clear he was getting hands to the face by the KAZ and the official even awarded 1 to Bajrang only to have it white paddled by the chair! I haven’t been watching international long but I haven’t seen a call like that white paddled.

- unfortunate step out, this was more on bajrang and I have to watch it again to see if it was a push out but it was a terrible 1 to give up

- The lack of calls for stalling on the KAZ- he could have been easily called for stalling before it was called. Taking all that time to get to the center and sitting and catching his breath on the side of the mat with Bajrang pleading for him to come back to the center was really unfortunate

-The ridiculous cube thrown by the chair that almost seemed designed to give the KAZ a breather... 

I feel like there were other things but at first I felt like Bajrang wasn’t wrestling as hard as he usually does and then there was call after call not going against the KAZ and the terrible 4 call at the beginning.... That was very frustrating to watch.

Then Niyaybekov celebrated pretty hard after he got the W.

I was stunned when I saw the match and at first it didn’t get much attention. This was the world semis!

Edited by Katie

5 hours ago, Katie said:

In one particular sequence, Niyazbekov was awarded four points. Bajrang challenged the call and lost, giving Niyazbekov another point.

By the end of the match, Niyazbekov looked very worn down, but he won 9-9 anyway (on criteria, because of the four-point move).

I'm no expert on freestyle scoring, but the sequence Niyazbekov got four points for looked to me like Bajrang should have been awarded points -- not Niyazbekov.

Can someone who saw this match explain what happened to me?

the casual observer does not take wrestling seriously because it is wrestling... 

there is blatant corruption in everything where there is money to be made... 

claiming silliness like that does not appear profound... only shows naivete'

In that sequence, it looked like Punia was pressuring in to not only avoid a stepout, but to setup that throw.  Punia initiated the move....you can see the KAZ wrestler's left foot lifted off the mat.....he couldn't push of to initiate that move.  Just my opinion...Fadz  (I have become a fan of Punia's.....student of the sport, loves to compete and has a huge gas tank)

Edited by fadzaev2

Just watched it.  I can somewhat see how you could think Radisov initiated the pushout vs. Aliyev in one of the other controversial bouts, but this one is bad.  Despite Kaz reaching in for the hiC, 100% initiated by Bajrang.  Throw in the X2 Hands to the face that were White paddled and this is totally, as Mocco would say, "Home Cookin"