Cradle1

Freestyle Day Two discussion thread

Just now, spladle08 said:
1 minute ago, JBluegill133 said:
Tough one for Burroughs.  How about that shot/lace defense by Cox?!  I read a stat that he hasn't been taken down in over a year.  

Cox is a beast amoung boys

What I loved about his match was his wrestling maturity.  There were multiple times where he could've gone for a re-attack when he was up 3-0 instead he stayed safe.  Such a high wrestling IQ.  Sometimes I think our USA persona of constantly pushing the pace and pressure can get us into trouble at this level, I love seeing him somewhat holding back.  Good stuff.

2 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

What I loved about his match was his wrestling maturity.  There were multiple times where he could've gone for a re-attack when he was up 3-0 instead he stayed safe.  Such a high wrestling IQ.  Sometimes I think our USA persona of constantly pushing the pace and pressure can get us into trouble at this level, I love seeing him somewhat holding back.  Good stuff.

Maybe. But letting the other guy stay close is why JB lost and also why JG lost.

I love Burroughs. HUGE fan. So this hurts.

Physically, he seems to be a little past his prime. But in terms of technical skill and match strategy, he's got a PhD.

Since 2012, I have always picked him to win gold. But with this next cycle I am, for the first time, worried he won't make the team.

It'll be okay either way. He's a legend no matter what happens going forward.

Now I'm going to go cry. Leave me alone.

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Maybe. But letting the other guy stay close is why JB lost and also why JG lost.

I wouldn't say JB allowed the guy to stay close. Sidakov's coaches have studied JB since at least 2012, and Sidakov's defensive skills are truly elite. Jb had to carefully pick his attacks and he did. Perfectly. It just came down to that last step out. It sucks but that's just the way it went.

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

Yea I here what you're saying, but in this situation I think 3-0 (especially for Cox) is a comfortable lead....think for us mere mortals its comparable to a 8-0 lead haha.  At that point there is no need for the added risks...which sometimes can be tough to do because of the old school mentality of always be scoring.

Feel for JB, but its time for him to readjust and go get that freaking Bronze. As big a fan as I am of those who will be trying to take his spot at the Olympics I want him to have at least one more shot. JB > Everyone.

Not too shocked about Green. I dont think he poses much threat to JB for next year honestly. Still bummed for him, love watching him compete. 

Im really bummed for Gwiz. Because I refuse to get a track subscription and NBC did not stream I didnt see what went on with him. Gotta think he'll get the weight qualified in one of the alternative routes in any case. Still a medal threat in Tokyo obviously. 

Im very excited to see Micic scrap for Bronze. Wish it was Daton though. 

Hope Mensah goes and gets a chip (and a new iPhone)!

Edited by iGranby