Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Michigan at Worlds

Is it a coincidence that U. Michigan has three  guys wrestling at the Worlds for other countries (Serbia and the mythical nation of San Marino). Does Michigan actively look for such opportunities. I would be that plenty of NCAA wrestlers have grandparents from other countries, which seems to be all you need.

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Amine brothers are Michigan.

Habat and Abounader are Ohio.

Micic is Indiana.

None of them are Canada.

I was just observing that the CKWC is training reps of Eastern Hemisphere countries but not any reps of nearby Canada.

1 minute ago, Katie said:

I was just observing that the CKWC is training reps of Eastern Hemisphere countries but not any reps of nearby Canada.

All the guys I mentioned have grandparents from the countries they represent.

As Lurker said, there would be Canadians there if there were any Canadians training there.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Is it a coincidence that U. Michigan has three  guys wrestling at the Worlds for other countries (Serbia and the mythical nation of San Marino). Does Michigan actively look for such opportunities. I would be that plenty of NCAA wrestlers have grandparents from other countries, which seems to be all you need.

I think Michigan believes there system is better then the system USA Wrestling uses.

18 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Don't forget Slovenia and Lebanon

They have 4 countries represented by 5 wrestlers. 5 countries if you include Coon and the USofA.

Who from Michigan wrestles for Slovenia?  The only wrestler on that team I know is Habat (ironically, yet another American ex-pat).

And can Bormet corner multiple Michigan guys repping different countries?  I know he coached Micic in his bronze medal match; assuming he's their preference, can he also coach the Amines and Abounader?

I guess I assume coaches are locked to a single nation, but I'm not at all certain.

BTW, anyone else shocked that Malik Amine probably placed higher at worlds than at any of his NCAA tournaments?

Makes me think Sal Profaci should go wrestle for Italy!  

Edited by whaletail

2 hours ago, whaletail said:

Who from Michigan wrestles for Slovenia?  The only wrestler on that team I know is Habat (ironically, yet another American ex-pat).

And can Bormet corner multiple Michigan guys repping different countries?  I know he coached Micic in his bronze medal match; assuming he's their preference, can he also coach the Amines and Abounader?

I guess I assume coaches are locked to a single nation, but I'm not at all certain.

BTW, anyone else shocked that Malik Amine probably placed higher at worlds than at any of his NCAA tournaments?

Habat trains at the CKWC, I think.

4 hours ago, whaletail said:

2 hours ago, Katie said:

Habat trains at the CKWC, I think.

Habat has ties to CKWC and is a bug reason we see so many 'international' folks represented and training there.

Anyone notice Abounader had to FF his match to Israel.Lebanon like Iran won't let athletes compete against Israel.Bad deal for him he will no longer represent Lebanon

Edited by calot

11 minutes ago, calot said:

Anyone notice Abounader had to FF his match to Israel.Lebanon like Iran won't let athletes compete against Israel.Bad deal for him he will no longer represent Lebanon

I did not notice. That's a disgrace. Lebanon is, I thought, more civilized than that. At least it used to be. Is that how Israel got into the round of 16 against Switzerland!?!

Edited by NJDan

5 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I did not notice. That's a disgrace. Lebanon is, I thought, more civilized than that. At least it used to be. Is that how Israel got into the round of 16 against Switzerland!?!

Where will Abounader wrestle then?

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Yes that's how