Giovanni

Freestyle Day 3 Thread

1 minute ago, CA_Wrestler said:

I don't think there is any place in the US for him to do that besides the OTC and I'm pretty sure J'Den isn't going down in weight for the Olympics.

I don’t think they would be training together if J’den wasn’t going down

Just now, Eagle26 said:

You think? I was obviously taking that into account. My point is I think JB is putting a lot of pressure on himself to pass Smith to become the GOAT in USA. You could clearly see he was wrestling more free after the pressure of another gold was off. 

He was wrestling a far inferior opponent. You miss the fact that the JB that beat the Japanese guy is the SAME one who lost to Sidakov.

3 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

He was wrestling a far inferior opponent. You miss the fact that the JB that beat the Japanese guy is the SAME one who lost to Sidakov.

Yes. Sidakov is one of the very best wrestlers on the planet right now. Losing to him with one second left, on a step out, is not really a terrible thing.

5 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

Again, I’m taking that into account. I’m not saying beating the Japanese wrestler means he can beat Sidakov. I’m saying wrestling with less pressure and having the foot speed, movement, and explosiveness he demonstrated that match would likely make the difference against Sidakov. You don’t think, if he wrestled a little better, it’s possible for him to reverse the result of match he was winning until 1 second left?

Just now, Eagle26 said:

Again, I’m taking that into account. I’m not saying beating the Japanese wrestler means he can beat Sidakov. I’m saying wrestling with less pressure and having the foot speed, movement, and explosiveness he demonstrated that match would likely make the difference against Sidakov. You don’t think, if he wrestled a little better, it’s possible for him to reverse the result of match he was winning until 1 second left?

I agree he looked tighter against Sidakov  and   did not shoot much. But  maybe for a  reason.

That said, I'd like to have seen him more active vs. the Russian Accountant.

3 minutes ago, Katie said:

Yes. Sidakov is one of the very best wrestlers on the planet right now. Losing to him with one second left, on a step out, is not really a terrible thing.

To add, he won on criteria with a tied score. These two are so evenly matched, it may always come down to simply who scores last. With wrestlers this clutch and this high-level scoring ability, advantage seems to go to whoever is trailing late. 

Glad to see JB finish strong and bring home another medal, not a damn thing to hang his head about. He is one of the proven greats in wrestling, and it now seems that Sidakov may be an emerging great as well. 

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

I don’t think Snyder has regressed, but he really hasn’t added much to his game in the last couple years and everyone else has. I think it might be time for a change for him. Maybe new coaches, training partners, training overseas, etc. Not that his current coaches are bad, I just think he needs a new look

He has added his top game, so he has made some improvements.  However, I do agree still about the change.  I also agree that it isn't his situation is bad, but just a new look.  I would say that for just about anyone.  I felt that way with JB a couple years ago.  

6 minutes ago, Giovanni said:

To add, he won on criteria with a tied score. These two are so evenly matched, it may always come down to simply who scores last. With wrestlers this clutch and this high-level scoring ability, advantage seems to go to whoever is trailing late. 

Glad to see JB finish strong and bring home another medal, not a damn thing to hang his head about. He is one of the proven greats in wrestling, and it now seems that Sidakov may be an emerging great as well. 

The downside of this is that Sidakov has yet to peak as a young wrestler while JB is descending the hill. Time is on Sidakov's side. He's also 2-0 against JB.

28 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

You think? I was obviously taking that into account. My point is I think JB is putting a lot of pressure on himself to pass Smith to become the GOAT in USA. You could clearly see he was wrestling more free after the pressure of another gold was off. 

That honor will go to Kyle Dake!

14 minutes ago, whyme25 said:

He’s definitely capable but I don’t see him sticking it out that long with his injury history. I hope I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him hang it up after the Olympics (or trials) and focus on coaching. 

1 minute ago, BallandChain said:

JDEN COX WORLD CHAMP!  Class act and absolute stud.  Curious about his plans for next year. Congrats 

With how he has progressed and looked this year, I'd consider it a toss-up at 97, and I'd favor him over a DT coming back from injury.

I know this was a non-olympic weight, but the guy seems to be on a completely different level than his competition right now. 

4 minutes ago, Giovanni said:

With how he has progressed and looked this year, I'd consider it a toss-up at 97, and I'd favor him over a DT coming back from injury.

I know this was a non-olympic weight, but the guy seems to be on a completely different level than his competition right now. 

He will beat Kyle Snyder at 97kg. I don't see him making 86kg. Karimi had absolutely nothing for J'den, who appeared to be far superior. 

1 minute ago, pa in taiwan said:

He will beat Kyle Snyder at 97kg. I don't see him making 86kg. Karimi had absolutely nothing for J'den, who appeared to be far superior. 

No argument from me. If I had to pick it today, I'd pick J'den for the spot at 97. However, I do like his chances better against the likes of DT/Yazdani vs Snyder/Sadulaev for eventual Olympic gold, assuming the weight cut is attainable. 

16 minutes ago, whyme25 said:

First Fake will need to stay healthy. Both him and JB have been injured a couple times the past few years. 

I will still pick JB against Dake like I have every time.  However, it will be with less confidence than the past.

Still, I think JB wrestled the best he has in years despite getting Bronze.  

7 minutes ago, NJDan said:

J'Den needs an agent. Guy should be famous and rich. 

Dude is a beast. He probably could have made it to the NFL if he had chosen that path. Luckily for his brain health, he chose wrestling.

Edited by Katie