Cradle1

Myles Amine- please defect to the USA!

Also @NJDan, if you search(I'm not going to bother), you will see that I have stated that my opinion is that Hall, Ringer, Nickal, Valencia, etc would all have beaten Downey in a best of three. Nothing has swayed that opinion.

Hall could have entered the Olympic weights of either 163 or 189. He chose not to. Same as Zahid and Bo.

37 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Dean has a junior  medal. Hall has a junior gold or two. I don't know if the others have any international results. But do you really think that Myles Amine could beat Nickal in any style (including beach and Indian)? 

You whiffed on my Bo Nickal question.

Could ask the same question  about Mark Hall and Valencia.

Just now, NJDan said:

you

Honestly?

I think a Bo-Amine match would be closer than folks think.

I don't know which would win.

At 86kg right now with how Myles has performed, I think it is even money with Valencia and Hall both.

Styles make matches and Amine always wrestles close. So while Zahid controlled Hall, I believe it's close.

Amine hasn't made 174 since NCAAs too. So he has a small jump in acclimation to 189 than the other two. 

I do believe if those four do a round Robin, chances are that going 3-0 is just as likely as 0-3 and wouldn't favor any guy to go 3-0 or 0-3.

A lot of folks will favor recency bias, however my justification is weight acclimation, right now.

4 hours ago, nyum said:

I believe it is more correct to say once you switch allegiance once, you cannot do so again. So micic could not, but amine could. 

I might be wrong

I thought you could be granted one international switch, but the “clock” so to speak didn’t start until you entered as a senior competitor.  Thus what country you may have represent in younger age level competitions wouldn’t count toward the one future switch you got.   But, I maybe confusing this rule with another sports transfer guidelines. 

5 minutes ago, Alwayswrestling said:

Amine would be about 5th on the USA ladder.

Maybe, maybe not.

What’s certain is he’s already locked up 5th place in the WORLD, and he’s qualified for the Olympics.

Meanwhile, we haven’t even qualified the weight yet.

Edited by Katie

Well all I can say is that Amine wrestled great last night, he beat some really good wrestlers. And hopefully for his sake, he can win a Bronze tonight. My thoughts about Amine is how did we lose him to San Marino in the first place? Was it because he could just basically walk over there and be on their team or was it because the competition here at 86 was daunting, a was it a combination of both? 

Additionally, Amine isn't the first American college wrestler to go and compete for another country and do very well, so my thought is, where are the training, who are they training with, who's coaching them, what methods are they using, are lastly, do we need to look at that to see if we are missing out on something? 

53 minutes ago, de4856 said:

Well all I can say is that Amine wrestled great last night, he beat some really good wrestlers. And hopefully for his sake, he can win a Bronze tonight. My thoughts about Amine is how did we lose him to San Marino in the first place? Was it because he could just basically walk over there and be on their team or was it because the competition here at 86 was daunting, a was it a combination of both? 

Additionally, Amine isn't the first American college wrestler to go and compete for another country and do very well, so my thought is, where are the training, who are they training with, who's coaching them, what methods are they using, are lastly, do we need to look at that to see if we are missing out on something? 

It’s a timeless question really. How can we learn more about the training secrets of San Marino?

1 hour ago, de4856 said:

I'll bite. Troll attempt or not.

He lives and trains in Ann Arbor Michigan under the Cliff Keen Wrestling Club for freestyle. They have a new head coach as of a couple years ago. Forget the name but he is a former world champ from Russia.

He is still a collegiate competitor and placed 3rd at 174 last season for the University of Michigan behind Zahid Valencia and Mark Hall.

He didn't defect. Him and his brother, Malik-a 65kg(143lber) who went 2-1 at worlds as well, have been dual citizens since birth.

There is more information on this podcast:

http://www.bloodround.com/playlist

Go to the 'Mike Amine' one and give that a listen.

Also if you listen to the Dominic Abounader one you will learn more about their freestyle head coach.

Cradle 1, nhs67, this wasn't a troll attempt, I was just wondering what lead to Amine's success, was he doing something that our National team wasn't doing? Or was it that Amine is just a great freestyler and I was just not aware of it? 

1 minute ago, de4856 said:

Cradle 1, nhs67, this wasn't a troll attempt, I was just wondering what lead to Amine's success, was he doing something that our National team wasn't doing? Or was it that Amine is just a great freestyler and I was just not aware of it? 

Lots of work with Belaglazov.

11 minutes ago, de4856 said:

9 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

Lots of work with Belaglazov.

Honestly I am sure avoiding all the stress and focus of criticism that PD3 had to face was probably extremely beneficial.

Being able to focus on getting better while learning from an old school great.

Add in that he is probably one of the most fundamentally sound wrestlers we have seen in a while and he's going to succeed at any style of wrestling.

He lacks that funk and athleticism we see in other high-end prospects, but he makes up for it with consistency, cardio, control, and grit. Add in that he is always getting better and he will continue to surprise doubters who don't think he can win at the highest level just because he is an American wrestling for a different country l.

14 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Honestly I am sure avoiding all the stress and focus of criticism that PD3 had to face was probably extremely beneficial.

Being able to focus on getting better while learning from an old school great.

Add in that he is probably one of the most fundamentally sound wrestlers we have seen in a while and he's going to succeed at any style of wrestling.

He lacks that funk and athleticism we see in other high-end prospects, but he makes up for it with consistency, cardio, control, and grit. Add in that he is always getting better and he will continue to surprise doubters who don't think he can win at the highest level just because he is an American wrestling for a different country l.

Honestly he might have made the finals if he’d come through the other side.

21 hours ago, de4856 said:

Isn't it well known that he trains at Michigan. Bormet, the Michigan coach, was in his corner.

Amine also did well at the Euro Games, beating Barnowski and Gostiev. Tough to say how Ringer would do at 86. I think he'd be at Amines level or higher but we don't have any results yet. Nickal has a lot of potential but no relevant freestyle results to speak of (Zilmer is his best win) so I don't know how anyone could say he's definitely better than Amine in freestyle right now. 

Ruth and Dean both retired from freestyle wrestling so they're irrelevant to the conversation. Only Taylor, Dake and Cox are active and have clearly produced better results at 86.

That Swiss guy looks tough but he had the deamest of draws to his bronze medal.

regarding Amine transferring to the USA, looks like he already repped the US in 2013 at the cadet pan-ams in greco (according to the UWW database), so its moot as he can't transfer again. not they'd he want to since he's already got his spot for Tokyo and never has to worry about qualifying for worlds ever again. 

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

@Jaroslav Hasek

Would you mind searching Abounader for me? I hope this isn't the death knell for his career. Word is he gets the better of Amine in the room.

Imagine if he'd have been able to wrestle through...

His career is probably over, and now internet people are jumping down his throat in order to score online moral points.

Edited by Katie

On 9/21/2019 at 7:50 AM, nyum said:

I believe it is more correct to say once you switch allegiance once, you cannot do so again. So micic could not, but amine could. 

I might be wrong

Olympic Charter Rule 41: Nationality of Competitors (FROM THE USOC)

https://www.teamusa.org/-/media/Athlete-Ombudsman/Games/Rule-41-of-the-Olympic-Charter-Nationality.pdf?la=en&hash=ACD8C49EA5F13991D12C2CCE6B3C60C3B8690D0F

1. Any competitor in the Olympic Games must be a national of the country of the NOC which is entering such competitor. 2. All matters relating to the determination of the country which a competitor may represent in the Olympic Games shall be resolved by the IOC Executive Board. Bye-law to Rule 41 1. A competitor who is a national of two or more countries at the same time may represent either one of them, as he may elect. However, after having represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant IF, he may not represent another country unless he meets the conditions set forth in paragraph 2 below that apply to persons who have changed their nationality or acquired a new nationality.

2. A competitor who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant IF, and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years have passed since the competitor last represented his former country. This period may be reduced or even cancelled, with the agreement of the NOCs and IF concerned, by the IOC Executive Board, which takes into account the circumstances of each case.

3. If an associated State, province or overseas department, a country or colony acquires independence, if a country becomes incorporated within another country by reason of a change of border, if a country merges with another country, or if a new NOC is recognised by the IOC, a competitor may continue to represent the country to which he belongs or belonged. However, he may, if he prefers, elect to represent his country or be entered in the Olympic Games by his new NOC if one exists. This particular choice may be made only once.

4. Furthermore, in all cases in which a competitor would be eligible to participate in the Olympic Games, either by representing another country than his or by having the choice as to the country which such competitor intends to represent, the IOC Executive Board may take all decisions of a general or individual nature with regard to issues resulting from nationality, citizenship, domicile or residence of any competitor, including the duration of any waiting period.

Based on the 2018 Olympics, the following was reported (FROM BUSINESS INSIDER)

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-some-olympic-athletes-have-competed-for-multiple-countries-2018-2

"According to a report from Rob Hodgetts of CNN, 178 Winter Olympics athletes (about 6% of all athletes competing in Pyeongchang) are competing for countries other than the one of their birth."

"Hodgetts reports that the US, Russia, and Canada are the countries with the most nationals competing for other countries, while South Korea, Canada, and Germany have the most non-native athletes competing for them."