Cradle1

Myles Amine- please defect to the USA!

9 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Lame.

It's a simplistic world where: You are fine with your government have deep military ties to Pakistan -- a country that doesn't recognize Israel. You are fine with putting gas in your car from Saudi Arabia -- another country that doesn't recognize Israel. You are fine with your country having deep economic ties to Qatar -- another country that doesn't recognize Israel. And you are fine with your country launching a war to protect Kuwait -- another country that doesn't recognize Israel.

But you super outraged by Abounader wrestling for, and then quitting, Team Lebanon. It's really amazingly moronic.

Just now, Katie said:

It's a simplistic world where: You are fine with your government have deep military ties to Pakistan -- a country that doesn't recognize Israel. You are fine with putting gas in your car from Saudi Arabia -- another country that doesn't recognize Israel. You are fine with your country having deep economic ties to Qatar -- another country that doesn't recognize Israel. And you are fine with your country launching a war to protect Kuwait -- another country that doesn't recognize Israel.

But you super outraged by Abounader wrestling for, and then quitting, Team Lebanon. It's really amazingly moronic.

I am a simple fan of wrestling and want as many people with ties to the US attempting to live the dream.

I don't care about the politix. I want to see fun wrestling.

Trying to combine politix and wrestling and applying them to what can be perceived as fun us what is moronic.

Let me sit in my couch and drink my beer while polishing my rifles and watching my NFL sports package on the TV.

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I am a simple fan of wrestling and want as many people with ties to the US attempting to live the dream.

I don't care about the politix. I want to see fun wrestling.

Trying to combine politix and wrestling and applying them to what can be perceived as fun us what is moronic.

Let me sit in my couch and drink my beer while polishing my rifles and watching my NFL sports package on the TV.

Personally, I agree that taking politics to sports is dumb.

But at the same time, for the sake or clear thinking, you have to separate national policies on the one hand, and internet people hypocritically trying to claim some sort of imaginary moral high ground on the other. Two different types of stupid.

Edited by Katie

30 minutes ago, Katie said:

Not outraged by anything Abounader did. I am displeased that he was forced to forfeit. I would have thought Lebanon would be better than that. Any displeasure or "outrage" is (I think for all concerned) about Lebanon, not Aboundader.

On 9/21/2019 at 1:15 PM, de4856 said:

Well all I can say is that Amine wrestled great last night, he beat some really good wrestlers. And hopefully for his sake, he can win a Bronze tonight. My thoughts about Amine is how did we lose him to San Marino in the first place? Was it because he could just basically walk over there and be on their team or was it because the competition here at 86 was daunting, a was it a combination of both? 

Additionally, Amine isn't the first American college wrestler to go and compete for another country and do very well, so my thought is, where are the training, who are they training with, who's coaching them, what methods are they using, are lastly, do we need to look at that to see if we are missing out on something? 

I am pretty sure I saw Sean Bormet in his corner at worlds.

Myles has already competed for his second country.  He competed for USA as a Cadet at the Pan-am Championships in 2013 before competing for San Marino for the first time in 2018.  UWW says you can only switch countries once, so it looks like he is locked in to representing SMR from now on.  He should have no trouble making their team for the foreseeable future.

Edited by neutralpositionref

On 9/21/2019 at 10:17 AM, Katie said:

That is so super true.

Torreblanca is super legit. Not sure how Shabanau and Takatani ended up at 86kg, but they are very skilled wrestlers. Beating the German who teched PD3 is also a good indicator of Amine's ability.

All that said, I don't think Amine would beat a healthy Taylor.

Agree completely.

Amine's always flown a bit under the radar, but he's never been lower than 4th at NCAAs, and has the kind of gas tank that really helps at the senior level, especially internationally.

On 9/22/2019 at 10:36 AM, NJDan said:

Isn't it well known that he trains at Michigan. Bormet, the Michigan coach, was in his corner.

Interesting that Bormet was allowed to corner wrestlers from multiple countries.  I would've expected him to have to choose one.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:52 PM, Katie said:

His career is probably over, and now internet people are jumping down his throat in order to score online moral points.

I thought he could transfer affiliation once?  Or did he not begin his international career with Lebanon?

If he can't transfer, unfortunately, you're probably right.

On 9/21/2019 at 6:53 PM, de4856 said:

Cradle 1, nhs67, this wasn't a troll attempt, I was just wondering what lead to Amine's success, was he doing something that our National team wasn't doing? Or was it that Amine is just a great freestyler and I was just not aware of it? 

Sean Bormet is one of the best freestyle coaches in the country

Sergei Belaglosov is one of the best freestyle athletes, and one of the best freestyle coaches, ever.

It's not uncommon for a real solid athlete to come into a world championships first time, unknown to the world, and have real positive results.  The list is long just here in the US.  Scouting is a huge part of the game today.

Amine "defecting" to the US presumably removes his ability to wrestle for San Marino, correct?  As a fan, I wish the best for Amine, and his best shot at OLY Glory is to stick with San Marino.  Does anyone really think he can beat Taylor or Cox?  I personally feel that Downey had a miracle season, and should not have beaten MyMar OR Helfin, let alone had made the team.  

Stylistically, I could see both MyMar and Heflin beating Amine as well.  

So... "defect" to USA?  Nah... cakewalk your way to the OLY berth for San Marino and then you can tell all your grandkids, family and friends that you wrestled in the 2020 Olympics.

1 minute ago, treep2000 said:

Amine "defecting" to the US presumably removes his ability to wrestle for San Marino, correct?  As a fan, I wish the best for Amine, and his best shot at OLY Glory is to stick with San Marino.  Does anyone really think he can beat Taylor or Cox?  I personally feel that Downey had a miracle season, and should not have beaten MyMar OR Helfin, let alone had made the team.  

Stylistically, I could see both MyMar and Heflin beating Amine as well.  

So... "defect" to USA?  Nah... cakewalk your way to the OLY berth for San Marino and then you can tell all your grandkids, family and friends that you wrestled in the 2020 Olympics.

"cakewalk" is a little misleading for placing fifth in the world...isn't it?

On 9/23/2019 at 10:15 AM, neutralpositionref said:

Myles has already competed for his second country.  He competed for USA as a Cadet at the Pan-am Championships in 2013 before competing for San Marino for the first time in 2018.  UWW says you can only switch countries once, so it looks like he is locked in to representing SMR from now on.  He should have no trouble making their team for the foreseeable future.

See above from my earlier post.

When wrestling in college for Amine I always enjoy watching him wrestle.  He seems right there with Hall and Valencia but as far as I know has never beaten either of them and in their folkstyle matches I saw nothing to make me think he could beat either in freestyle.  Best of luck to him in all his matches except when wrestling against the USA.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

"cakewalk" is a little misleading for placing fifth in the world...isn't it?

Reading comprehension please.  My cakewalk term was used to reference him winning his spot on the San Marino team.  

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Reading comprehension please.  My cakewalk term was used to reference him winning his spot on the San Marino team.  

Comprehension?  Sure. Your post said “cakewalk to an Olympic berth for San Marino” Making the San Marino national team does not give you an Olympic berth. Placing top five in the world does, and is far from a cakewalk. 

I get what you’re saying now, but being smartass because you didn’t accurately write out what you were meaning doesn’t make you cool. It makes you look like someone incapable of saying oops, I goofed on that one a little bit. 

Have a nice evening. 

Edited by Lurker

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

Comprehension?  Sure. Your post said “cakewalk to an Olympic berth for San Marino” Making the San Marino national team does not give you an Olympic berth. Placing top five in the world does, and is far from a cakewalk. 

I get what you’re saying now, but being smartass because you didn’t accurately write out what you were meaning doesn’t make you cool. It makes you look like someone incapable of saying oops, I goofed on that one a little bit. 

Have a nice evening. 

Oh holy grammarian of the wrestling forum boards.  I pray to thee for forgiveness of the usage of the term "cakewalk".  I beggeth thee to spare mercy on my forum soul and to spite those that shall take the walk of cake again.  Amen.