jeffrideal

Huge pickup for the Cyclones

Huge news for Iowa State and Anthony. Really happy to see he’s making the most of his hard earned opportunity and getting a college education. Also really happy the wrestling community will get to see a lot more of him between now and 2024. 

Question: I assume fall semester classes at ISU already started, so is he going to greyshirt this year and technically be a part of the 2020 class? Or train this fall with their RTC and redshirt spring semester? 

Shocked he decided to wrestle in college and ASU let him get away. 

He’s going to be an absolute force in college...and IMO sooner than a lot of people expect. I don’t think the transition from free to folk is going to be too big of a challenge for him...plus it started over a year ago. He’s talented and athletic/strong enough to learn how to get out of bottom quickly enough, and with his talent level he doesn’t need an arsenal of turns on top to be a serious contender quickly.

10 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Great write up @MDogg.

His body looks developed and he doesnt need a shirt.

Forgive my ignorance, but is he a senior in HS this coming season?

No he graduated already.He will be in Ames this week

7 hours ago, MDogg said:

Huge news for Iowa State and Anthony. Really happy to see he’s making the most of his hard earned opportunity and getting a college education. Also really happy the wrestling community will get to see a lot more of him between now and 2024. 

Question: I assume fall semester classes at ISU already started, so is he going to greyshirt this year and technically be a part of the 2020 class? Or train this fall with their RTC and redshirt spring semester? 

Shocked he decided to wrestle in college and ASU let him get away. 

He’s going to be an absolute force in college...and IMO sooner than a lot of people expect. I don’t think the transition from free to folk is going to be too big of a challenge for him...plus it started over a year ago. He’s talented and athletic/strong enough to learn how to get out of bottom quickly enough, and with his talent level he doesn’t need an arsenal of turns on top to be a serious contender quickly.

ASU was concerned about some things which is why they didn't pick him up.  

23 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Care to elaborate a bit?

Had to do with transcripts, test scores and language issues from what I remember.  The guy barely speaks English.  Not that it's a bad thing, but it makes taking things like the SAT pretty difficult.  I'm surprised he managed to go D1.  I guess Sunnyside must have done a great job in helping him with his transcripts. 

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

Had to do with transcripts, test scores and language issues from what I remember.  The guy barely speaks English.  Not that it's a bad thing, but it makes taking things like the SAT pretty difficult.  I'm surprised he managed to go D1.  I guess Sunnyside must have done a great job in helping him with his transcripts. 

Gotcha.  Surprising that ISU could get there but ASU couldn't considering Zeke played at least some part in him coming to the States in the first place.  

For what it's worth he seems to be picking up the language fairly quickly (at least conversationally).  Granted, that doesn't necessarily say anything about his academic preparedness. 

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

Nevermind the fact he’s a star athlete and recruit in a wrestling crazed state, I would imagine that ISU has special programs (and admissions) for kids from foreign, non-English speaking countries. Most large public universities do. Plus his back story is the kind of thing that would make a college admission officers cream themselves. And rightfully so...he’s the kind of kid people should cheer for and hope he gets a chance to get a college education here in the US.

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Gotcha.  Surprising that ISU could get there but ASU couldn't considering Zeke played at least some part in him coming to the States in the first place.  

For what it's worth he seems to be picking up the language fairly quickly (at least conversationally).  Granted, that doesn't necessarily say anything about his academic preparedness. 

Zeke had nothing to do with him coming here as far as I know.  It was all Fernando Villescusa.  

3 hours ago, MDogg said:

Nevermind the fact he’s a star athlete and recruit in a wrestling crazed state, I would imagine that ISU has special programs (and admissions) for kids from foreign, non-English speaking countries. Most large public universities do. Plus his back story is the kind of thing that would make a college admission officers cream themselves. And rightfully so...he’s the kind of kid people should cheer for and hope he gets a chance to get a college education here in the US.

ASU has those kinds of programs too but didn't pick him up when they had the chance.   Heck a lot of the foreign students at ASU aren't that proficient at English.  Mostly the Chinese students, most of the Arabs can speak English just fine.  If you can't score high enough on the SAT or ACT it's hard to get in.  Adding to the fact he only went to high school for one year in the states and has limited English proficiency.  I hope he does get a chance, but it's going to be tough going for him at the D1 level.  Both on and off the mat. 

55 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

ASU has those kinds of programs too but didn't pick him up when they had the chance.   Heck a lot of the foreign students at ASU aren't that proficient at English.  Mostly the Chinese students, most of the Arabs can speak English just fine.  If you can't score high enough on the SAT or ACT it's hard to get in.  Adding to the fact he only went to high school for one year in the states and has limited English proficiency.  I hope he does get a chance, but it's going to be tough going for him at the D1 level.  Both on and off the mat. 

This is why I think they shirt him at least for the first semester. Maybe even limit his in the mat time. Make sure he adjusts to a non familiar education system, studies hard for his ESL class, and starts off with a high GPA 

12 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Just looked it up and Iowa State has different standards for international undergraduate admissions and doesn’t require the SAT or ACT. I’d guess he still qualifies even though he attended (and graduated from?) a high school in Arizona. 

57 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Just looked it up and Iowa State has different standards for international undergraduate admissions and doesn’t require the SAT or ACT. I’d guess he still qualifies even though he attended (and graduated from?) a high school in Arizona. 

Would he be considered an international student though.....that's the thing.  

Heard he is going to be a 24 year old freshman.  Any truth to that?

EDIT: Just read on arizona-wrestling.com that he has an 8 year old son.  If he is really 19 years old that means he became a father at the age of 11.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Metcalf hit him up with that "definitely not a scholarship to be part of CRTC" wink and nod. Make weight a few months out of the year and deal with leg riders, in turn they can help him focus on FS and elevate the RTC. Win-win for everyone, he gets a scholarship and hopefully a US degree, will be able to keep his rock (wrestling) with solid peers and mentors in and out of the room from day 1, plus Dresser is making moves outside of B1G, and on top of all that this will probably increase domestic competition. 

10 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Heard he is going to be a 24 year old freshman.  Any truth to that?

EDIT: Just read on arizona-wrestling.com that he has an 8 year old son.  If he is really 19 years old that means he became a father at the age of 11.

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet