Jump to content
jeffrideal

Huge pickup for the Cyclones

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

If he can’t get into ISU then he probably can’t get into tOSU either right?

Does anyone know the specifics of the admissions procedures regarding athletes? Can a coach say, "here are the transcripts, etc. for a guy I'm considering recruiting, can you tell me if he would be admitted?" Or does the recruit actually have to commit prior to receiving consideration as an athletic admission? Makes sense that Ohio St would have to actually recruit him and offer a scholarship (pending acceptance) prior to submitting him for consideration.  I would say some coaches/programs have more sway with admissions than others.  Tom Ryan clearly feels like it is worth his time to try (at the very least), if he doesn't already KNOW that he could gain admission.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tigerfan said:

Does anyone know the specifics of the admissions procedures regarding athletes? Can a coach say, "here are the transcripts, etc. for a guy I'm considering recruiting, can you tell me if he would be admitted?" Or does the recruit actually have to commit prior to receiving consideration as an athletic admission? Makes sense that Ohio St would have to actually recruit him and offer a scholarship (pending acceptance) prior to submitting him for consideration.  I would say some coaches/programs have more sway with admissions than others.  Tom Ryan clearly feels like it is worth his time to try (at the very least), if he doesn't already KNOW that he could gain admission.

 

Coaches have a pretty good idea what would get in and what wouldn't get in as soon as they look at the grades/test scores. Admissions departments would definitely look to verify as well, but they would also need to take a look at the exact classes taken in HS. D1 requires a core set of classes to be eligible, they also have a time frame some of those have to be completed in. It takes a little more to figure out eligibility than it does acceptance.

Coaches aren't going to waste their time recruiting wrestlers they know they can't get in. They are going to get transcripts/test scores as early as possible. Kids can commit before or after being accepted. 

With that said, athletes (and others with "special abilities") get leeway at most schools for acceptance since they bring other skills to the university. How much that is is dependent on too many factors.

Echemendia would be more of an unknown and would take quite a bit more time to figure out due to not being in the US until his Sr year. With his talent, it is worth taking a stab at and seeing if everything is going to work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tigerfan said:

Does anyone know the specifics of the admissions procedures regarding athletes? Can a coach say, "here are the transcripts, etc. for a guy I'm considering recruiting, can you tell me if he would be admitted?" Or does the recruit actually have to commit prior to receiving consideration as an athletic admission? Makes sense that Ohio St would have to actually recruit him and offer a scholarship (pending acceptance) prior to submitting him for consideration.  I would say some coaches/programs have more sway with admissions than others.  Tom Ryan clearly feels like it is worth his time to try (at the very least), if he doesn't already KNOW that he could gain admission.

 

Not sure of the specifics honestly.  One thing I’m confused about is didn’t he graduate HS?  I didn’t realize you could still take official visits after you graduated? 

Although a post on ISU board hinting at Dresser may be in trouble.

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't he take the SAT a month or so back? Maybe he got his scores back and they're not good enough for ISU. I have a feeling he's not on a D1 roster this year.

The whole thing seemed rushed from the beginning, trying to squeeze a year long process into a month or two. Let him train at the OTC for a year and improve his English skills and if he still wants to do the college route after that, he'll be much more prepared to do so successfully. I do think it's great that his wrestling skills give him the opportunity to do something that most kids in his position don't have a shot at, to get a good education.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it has to do with admissions or SATs or whatever. Athletic departments have ways to circumvent that. Seems that maybe he's just really enjoying the recruiting process? Like he gets to go on official visits, see different campuses, get the welcome mat rolled out for him... that's gotta be fun and perhaps totally unexpected compared to what he's used to in Cuba.

Totally agree that the process is rushed. He just graduated from HS a few months ago, right? I think he still has a calendar year to decide and commit to a program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, pamela said:

I don't think it has to do with admissions or SATs or whatever. Athletic departments have ways to circumvent that. Seems that maybe he's just really enjoying the recruiting process? Like he gets to go on official visits, see different campuses, get the welcome mat rolled out for him... that's gotta be fun and perhaps totally unexpected compared to what he's used to in Cuba.

Totally agree that the process is rushed. He just graduated from HS a few months ago, right? I think he still has a calendar year to decide and commit to a program.

ISU couldn’t do it for Ryan Anderson apparently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Not sure of the specifics honestly.  One thing I’m confused about is didn’t he graduate HS?  I didn’t realize you could still take official visits after you graduated? 

Although a post on ISU board hinting at Dresser may be in trouble.

Oh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about that HS graduation rule - JUCO kids and transfers from D2, D3, NAIA, etc. can take official visits. The thing with Dresser, if true, could be over anything. There are a ton of rules and procedures for official visits. Like Echemendia could have eaten a Snickers bar in addition to his 3 meals/day during the visit, or there may have been a hangup in the system with his eligibility certification, or his uncle or guardian could have taken their rental car out while Anthony was on campus. Like who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Not sure of the specifics honestly.  One thing I’m confused about is didn’t he graduate HS?  I didn’t realize you could still take official visits after you graduated? 

Although a post on ISU board hinting at Dresser may be in trouble.

You can take officials after graduation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pamela said:

I don't think it has to do with admissions or SATs or whatever. Athletic departments have ways to circumvent that. Seems that maybe he's just really enjoying the recruiting process? Like he gets to go on official visits, see different campuses, get the welcome mat rolled out for him... that's gotta be fun and perhaps totally unexpected compared to what he's used to in Cuba.

Totally agree that the process is rushed. He just graduated from HS a few months ago, right? I think he still has a calendar year to decide and commit to a program.

Coaches can only circumvent so much. Some schools and programs more than others. You also can't circumvent eligibility from the NCAA's view (NOT saying he is ineligible. I don't have a clue on his status).

If he is going to slow down and take some other visits, especially officials, schools have to think there is a decent chance of acceptance/eligibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Not officially. The signing period for the 19'-20' freshman class ended at the beginning of August. I think he announced his "signing" in September. The signing period for 20'-21' freshman class runs from 13 NOV 2019 to 1 AUG 2020.

thanks, i didn't wanna read the whole thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...