Katie

Predict the 2020 Olympic Team

Just now, NJDan said:

I believe Pico's family has been in  Cali for generations. So would he even be eligible to wrestle for Mexico?

I don't know.

The Flo guys had talked about it and I guess he and Gomez have as much a claim as Micic does for Serbia.

This activity makes me realize just how stacked 57, 74 and 86 are going to be. Anyways,

57 - Fix w/ Lee close second 

65 - Yianni

74 - Burroughs with Dake close second. Wouldn’t be surprised if Imar is there too. 

86 - Taylor 

97 - Cox

125 - Steveson 

I can honestly see every weight class medaling. Golds will be tough though. 

57 Uguev

65 Rashidov

74 Sidakov

86 Kurugliev

97 Sadulaev

125 Khizriev   

Have to make up for lost time because like a wise guy, I purposely picked (on the other thread) no Russians to win at this year's Worlds and I'm getting hammered.  :D

Gonna wait til J'den announces which weight he is choosing for Olympics and also want to see who is in some of the other weight classes for USA. 

7 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I don't know.

The Flo guys had talked about it and I guess he and Gomez have as much a claim as Micic does for Serbia.

Franklin Gomez? He wrestles for PR and I think he was their rep for the last couple of Olympic cycles.

8 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Pico and Gomez will represent Mexico, yes?

I believe Pico's family has been in  Cali for generations. So would he even be eligible to wrestle for Mexico?

15 minutes ago, pamela said:

Franklin Gomez? He wrestles for PR and I think he was their rep for the last couple of Olympic cycles.

I thought you needed at least a grandparent in country. Not all Mexican-Americans are recent immigrants. Some have been here before Cali and Texas were  incorporated in the USA.

DT is a strong favourite for Gold in 2020 at 86kg so it would be silly to replace him now in my opinion. On the other hand, Snyder is now a significant underdog at 97kg so the time is right to see what Cox can do at 97kg. 

At 74kg I think Burroughs was superb, he had a very tough run and lost on criteria because of a last second step out. But JB is 0-2 against Sidakov now and Dake is a monster so I want to see Dake at 74kg.

Dake-Taylor-Cox is an incredible mix. 

Clearly should be Yianni at 65kg too. 

No idea about 57kg or 125kg though. 

Edited by The Genius

DT is a strong favourite for Gold in 2020 at 86kg so it would be silly to replace him now in my opinion. On the other hand, Snyder is now a significant underdog at 97kg so the time is right to see what Cox can do at 97kg. 
At 74kg I think Burroughs was superb, he had a very tough run and lost on criteria because of a last second step out. But JB is 0-2 against Sidakov now and Dake is a monster so I want to see Dake at 74kg.
In the least condescending way...do you think JB.... or even Ringer... would look anything but stellar, if their only competition was Hasanov?

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:
3 minutes ago, The Genius said:

In the least condescending way...do you think JB.... or even Ringer... would look anything but stellar, if their only competition was Hasanov?

Yep you're totally right, and the same applies to Cox. Especially this year. It's very harsh on JB especially for people to be talking about replacing him with Dake. BUT their dominance still merits consideration of the 'what if' and when 2020 is coming up it makes sense to want to see what Dake can do at 74kg (vs JB) and Cox can do at 97 (vs Snyder). 

Yep you're totally right, and the same applies to Cox. Especially this year. It's very harsh on JB especially for people to be talking about replacing him with Dake. BUT their dominance still merits consideration of the 'what if' and when 2020 is coming up it makes sense to want to see what Dake can do at 74kg (vs JB) and Cox can do at 97 (vs Snyder). 
Yeah absolutely. It would be nice to see Dake vs Sidakov or Chamizo... I think where it differs for Cox is the fact that hes never not made a team...so favoring him over DT (whos been on the shelf and Cox has beaten) or Snyderman (who i just think he's better than :) ) is reasonable.... im very excited to see how this all unfolds and also very excited to see which athletes go down to 57kg. Such a cut.... going to be a weird year

Coach Jackson said the coaches will meet with J'den in about a week, discuss the situation and then let J'den decide which weight.

Will be interesting to see where this goes. Also in J'den's interview, he said whatever is best to win gold and enhance his legacy (or something like that). 

11 minutes ago, spladle08 said:
16 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Yeah absolutely. It would be nice to see Dake vs Sidakov or Chamizo... I think where it differs for Cox is the fact that hes never not made a team...so favoring him over DT (whos been on the shelf and Cox has beaten) or Snyderman (who i just think he's better than :) ) is reasonable.... im very excited to see how this all unfolds and also very excited to see which athletes go down to 57kg. Such a cut.... going to be a weird year

As an Iranian I hope Cox moves to 86kg because Yazdani has major issues with DT, but I think it would be better for the US if Cox moved to 97kg. Cox already beat DT and Dake in trials (2/3 each I think?), so we can't just say his results are inflated because of a weak division to dismiss him (even though it is true in itself, 92kg is very very weak). Cox looks huge and very strong at 92kg, so I feel like 97kg would be better for him than 86kg at this stage of his career. 

JB/Dake is the real tough call, both are incredible in their own right. 

Edited by The Genius

57 Fix

65 Yianni

74 JB (I’m not confident he will beat Dake but I really want him to so he’s my pick!)

86 Cox

97 Snyder 

125 Steveson 

Of course these change if Cox goes up, but he wants an Olympic gold for his legacy and the path is a little easier through Yazdani than Sadulaev, so I’m guessing that’s where he goes.

11 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

57 Fix

65 Yianni

74 JB (I’m not confident he will beat Dake but I really want him to so he’s my pick!)

86 Cox

97 Snyder 

125 Steveson 

Of course these change if Cox goes up, but he wants an Olympic gold for his legacy and the path is a little easier through Yazdani than Sadulaev, so I’m guessing that’s where he goes.

Yazdani at 86 for Cox is just as difficult a task as Sad at 97 for Cox.

Styles make matches as well as different weights means different lifestyle over the next year.

97kg Cox can focus on becoming the best he can be.

86kg Cox must change his way of nourishment and manage a decent while remaining at an otherworldly physical state of being.

I would favor Yazdani and Sad at about the same right now over Cox.

8 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

57 Fix

65 Yianni

86 Cox

97 Snyder 

125 Steveson 

Of course these change if Cox goes up, but he wants an Olympic gold for his legacy and the path is a little easier through Yazdani than Sadulaev, so I’m guessing that’s where he goes.

Yazdani would be perceived as just as dominant as Sadulaev if David Taylor wasn’t around. I agree with you and don’t even really have a point. Just a random observation. Lol

I do agree Yazdani is a bit underrated due to his loss to Taylor last year. I would favor Yazdani in a rematch. He was clearly the more skilled wrestler, just wasn’t in as good of shape as Taylor. I think he is definitely one of the top pound for pound wrestlers in the world, but Sadulaev is #1 on everyone’s p4p list. Sad would definitely be a least a little tougher match up. Yazdani is not a big 86 so Cox would have a huge strength advantage if he can handle the cut. He sweats so much, it probably wouldn’t be hard for him to get down lol