Katie

Predict the 2020 Olympic Team

On 9/23/2019 at 9:43 AM, Katie said:

Apparently JB’s. 

Some things are more important than wrestling and it’s great for JB and his family. That said, juggling three small children might be a factor in his training.

For KD, getting his weight down and staying healthy might be factors. I think he has a small child of his own, or maybe soon will.

Who knows, maybe Mekhi ends up representing us in Tokyo.

JB should move back to Jersey for this cycle.  I was thinking this before the kid announcement.  It would be interesting to see what small adjustments Reece could help with.  Right now I think Reece is one of the best coaches at the RTC's. I'm guessing they would have some family to help as well.  I know it won't happen, but it could be a thought :)

Every time JB spent the year knowing he was going to face Dake at trials, he won a gold medal. Every time Dake has been at a different weight, he hasn’t. Just throwing that in to counter the “last time JB had a baby” angle. 

Edited by Lurker

A few overall thoughts

1) I don't see Snyder going to 125kg.  Like another poster said somewhere, it doesn't make since to do it for the Olympic Year.  The only reason would be if Snyder thought he wouldn't make the team if Cox is there.  There is no way Snyder thinks that. Snyder has beat every elite athlete in the world around his weight. Personally I don't think any of our elite athletes even ponder the thought of going to a weight because of who is there. We have five world champions in a row.  You don't have that mindset as a world champion.  No way Snyder goes up.  Maybe after the Olympics if he continues to gain mass.  

2) I would ASSUME J'Den would prefer going down.  If not he wouldn't be talking to his coaches about it this week.  I also do not think who is where in the US is a factor.  Again, elite athletes have a "you have to beat them all" mindset.  What I found the most interesting in a post interview on track with KJ was when KJ said full time "Nutritionist" as one of the factors of being at the OTC. You have to think that means going down is a real consideration.  The resources available to him are much more present than his last Olympic run. So I think he will seriously consider going down based on information from trainers, coaches, nutritionist, etc.

3) I think Dake goes Down.  I think he genuinely believes he can beat JB on an even playing field. I think JB gets him, but I still think he goes down.  Personally, I think it is good for both of them to be there.  Both have had injuries the last couple years.  If whoever is the rep gets hurt then we have a number 2 that can win gold.  Same with DT and Cox.

4) hopefully DT will be healthy, but a tore ACL will impede him from starting his training to a degree.  He has improved so much the last few years.  However, unless I'm missing a match other than the DQ to Wellington and one loss to MCklintosh his Junior year in college, I don't think J'Den has lost to anyone who was not a world Gold Medalist the year of his loss.  Of course DT is a world gold medalist too.  So maybe.  My money is on Cox though. I do favor snyder over J'Den right now and I am a huge J'Den fan  Have been since he was in HS .

22 hours ago, scramble said:

Snyder has beat every elite athlete in the world around his weight.

Slight correction. Sharifov is 1-0 versus Snyder.

Interestingly, Sharifov is also 1-0 versus Cael and 2-0 versus J'Den.

12 hours ago, Katie said:

Slight correction. Sharifov is 1-0 versus Snyder.

Interestingly, Sharifov is also 1-0 versus Cael and 2-0 versus J'Den.

....and David Taylor teched Sharifov. Think it was 12-2.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:30 PM, spladle08 said:
On 9/21/2019 at 8:26 PM, The Genius said:
Yep you're totally right, and the same applies to Cox. Especially this year. It's very harsh on JB especially for people to be talking about replacing him with Dake. BUT their dominance still merits consideration of the 'what if' and when 2020 is coming up it makes sense to want to see what Dake can do at 74kg (vs JB) and Cox can do at 97 (vs Snyder). 

Yeah absolutely. It would be nice to see Dake vs Sidakov or Chamizo... I think where it differs for Cox is the fact that hes never not made a team...so favoring him over DT (whos been on the shelf and Cox has beaten) or Snyderman (who i just think he's better than :) ) is reasonable.... im very excited to see how this all unfolds and also very excited to see which athletes go down to 57kg. Such a cut.... going to be a weird year

I think Dake beats Sidakov but loses to Burroughs. 

Hope Dake goes to Yarygin 

Well, I believe that Dake, Taylor, and J'den have all improved significantly. So I think Dake will have the advantage over JB. I believe that J'den will go up and challenge SnyderMan, leaving Taylor, at 86. I think that SnyderMan, can prevail at 97, but I it won't be easy. But even if SnyderMan does get past J'den, he still has the likes of Saduleav and Sharifov waiting for him in Tokyo. So SnyderMan has a lot of work to do to get back to his "Golden form," but if anyone is up to the challenge, he is. 

I love how random fan speculation becomes a thing on these forums. Snyder at 125 kg ... not happening. Snyder knows his best chance at another gold is to stay put and beat a guy he has already beaten. He is not moving up and giving 30-40 lbs against guys he knows he can’t beat. Remember he has trained with Akgul already and has felt what it is like to be small and short against a world class heavy. 

Snyder stays put. Cox goes 86 kg. And that is best for us.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Well it's one thing for SnyderMan to battle Adam Coon, but it's quite another to battle the World's best. Looking at the video of Snyder and Akgul, ( posted by Wrestling Nerd ) you get a sense of just how big some of these 125 guys really are. Looking at SnyderMan, it just doesn't look like he has the height or frame to be a full sized Heavyweight. 

21 hours ago, nom said:

Koll’s note to fans said Dake to 74kg.  And said his next event is OTTs.  

Although he won a world title pretty handily, looked like he didn't have 6 min of juice and not his usually timing.  Also would benefit from getting down to 74 and competing, especially against some intl comp.  Hope he goes somewhere before April.