Katie

Predict the 2020 Olympic Team

Now that the World's have been completed, I am very curious about what Spencer Lee's schedule. I have heard that Spencer isn't going to Red Shirt, so it leaves me to wonder what he is going to do, and when we will get a chance to see Spencer in a Freestyle meet. I know that we are having our US Open in December and I hope to see Spencer compete in this. Anyway, I can't wait to see all our top 57 guys hashing it out for the spot in Tokyo. 

I'll go ahead and hedge, picking the "National Team" (Top 3):

57kg - Fix, Lee, Gilman

65kg - Yianni, Zain, Eierman

74kg - Dake, Burroughs, Hall

86kg - Cox, Taylor, Zahid

97kg - Snyder, Nickal, Gadsen

125kg - Gwiz, Gable, Kerkvliet

Our OLY Team will be comprised of folks on this list.  Will there be an outsider is the question in my book, and if so, which weight, and which superstar(s) do they take down in the process?

On 9/30/2019 at 12:29 PM, treep2000 said:

I'll go ahead and hedge, picking the "National Team" (Top 3):

57kg - Fix, Lee, Gilman

65kg - Yianni, Zain, Eierman

74kg - Dake, Burroughs, Hall

86kg - Cox, Taylor, Zahid

97kg - Snyder, Nickal, Gadsen

125kg - Gwiz, Gable, Kerkvliet

Our OLY Team will be comprised of folks on this list.  Will there be an outsider is the question in my book, and if so, which weight, and which superstar(s) do they take down in the process?

65kg: I think I would put McKenna in front of Eireman. 

74kg: I would switch Dake and JB then put Imar third.

86kg: Deringer instead of Zahid.  I think Deringer beats him now. 

97kg: I think Nikal goes down. Not sure who is third.  MyMar maybe if he packs muscle on. 

86/97 really depends on J'Den.

125kg:. I think Gable becomes the newbie on the senior team.  After that Gwiz and Cassar. It's a huge jump for Kerkvliet to make from his first year in college. 

57, I expect Fix to face a stiff challenge from Gilman, and Lee. Suriano is also in the mix. But if you look at Suriano he's already ripped, and if he cuts to 57, I think he loses any advantage he would have if he stayed at 61. I also expect Garrett to be there as well, and even though he's tough, he is coming off an injury and like Suriano, I think he is better off physically at 61. In the end though, I think if Lee is healthy, I believe we see Fix vs Lee. 
65, I think we see Zain vs Yianni, I know there are other top contenders, but I think these two have separated themselves from the others in this weight. And even though I am a big fan of Zain, I think Yianni overtakes him at some point here in the upcoming months. 
74, JB vs KD, I think JB's age is going to be a factor here, so I think Dake finally gets by JB. 
86, DT, is the guy here, even if J'den drops down, (even though I don't expect him to). I know there are others there like PD3, Heflin, Zahid, Brooks, MyMar, and some others, but DT is just on another level. And even though he's coming off an injury, I don't think it will have an impact on him. 
97, Snyder vs Cox, not really sure how this will work out. But I think Kyle is the underdog here, and he needs to work on his speed, finishes, scrambling, and maximizing his gas tank. If he can, he should be successful. J'den has really improved these last two years and presents a whole set of problems for Kyle. 
125, Gwizz had two really tough matches with Steveson at Final X, so do we ask, was this an outlier, or has Steveson closed the gap? And where does Cassar fit into all this? I think Gwizz, like everyone else, is going to have a very difficult time in getting back to the Senior team. 

Throw JO into the mix at 65, and I pretty much agree with everything posted here. My picks:

Lee
Yianni or JO
Dake
Taylor
Cox
Steveson

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk