Ragu

Hot Take Time

Just now, CoachWrestling said:

He is the best wrestler in the USA right now, and IMO there is little doubt. 

Maybe he is, but surely there is doubt  that he is better than Dake, DT, Snyder or JB, even if only Dake can win gold this year.

Maybe he is, but surely there is doubt  that he is better than Dake, DT, Snyder or JB, even if only Dake can win gold this year.
He's already beaten Dake and Taylor head to head in freestyle.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, buckeye97 said:

NCAA wrestling accomplishments have almost zero relevance to freestyle ability. Also, the rest of the world does not care.

2 world titles means everything so the world definitely does care. Catch him winning an Olympic title next year too

47 minutes ago, mpg190 said:

He's already beaten Dake and Taylor head to head in freestyle.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Years ago.

He has since grown into 92 and Taylor into 86. He would need to alter many things to shrink back to 86.

I still don't know why folks don't understand that weight classes matter as well weight class changes matter.

Green was the only medalist entered in the 2016 Oly trials, albeit up a weight. Zain demolished him easily.

Agreeing with OP. Cox is our best wrestler at present, maybe even the best p4p in the world. And after listening to his post-match interview, I'm convinced that he will be going 97 next year, for the following two reasons:

1. Cutting weight sucks - so why do it if you feel like you are the man to beat? Cox is a HUGE 92, looks to already be very lean (KJ stated he is "leaner" and "stronger" than last year), and admittedly had a pretty tough/miserable time making 86. So now with new same day weigh-in procedures, I just dont see it happening.

2. Cox wants to build his legacy - for some reason, myself included, people have always somewhat overlooked his abilities/accomplishments, and before this year was never really in the top P4P discussions for best wrestler in the world. This year he has been on a mission to not only win, but win with dominance, never satisfied, and for the most part smashing the competition. He mentioned the legacy talk in his post-match interview, so what better way to build a legacy than to take out Captain America and then knock off the consensus "best wrestler on the planet" Sadulaev at the Olympic games?

I agree, but it’s close. Dake is a close second. If Taylor were healthy he would have an argument as well. Let’s not forget that in the DT/Cox head to head, DT had been wrestling all day before taking on a completely fresh Cox. That probably won’t be the case if they meet again. 

It’s hard to argue with this based on results, but who are his best wins at 92? Karimi was pretty dominant at this weight too other than against Cox, but Karimi hasn’t exactly done much at an Olympic weight. The same can be said for Dake at 79.  That’s why the Dake/Burroughs and Cox/Taylor matches will be so interesting. 

Just now, wrestlingphish said:

Didn’t Cox almost accidentally make 86 kilos after a practice this year? I feel like I remember a photo of him weighing out at like 87.x after an OTC practice.

I think he goes 86 because of Sadulaev, not Snyder. It’s a 50/50 matchup with Snyder or Taylor imo but Sad would be a heavy favorite. 

8 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I think he goes 86 because of Sadulaev, not Snyder. It’s a 50/50 matchup with Snyder or Taylor imo but Sad would be a heavy favorite. 

Cox vs Sadulaev is a dream match for me though so I hope he makes the team at 97. Selfish I know.