NJDan

Team Race is Crazy

Normally, Russia, USA and Iran are 1-2-3. This year, Russia is way ahead, Japan is in second, Kazakhstan is in third and Iran is tied for fifth.* Not sure if USA can pass Kasakhtan if Dake and Snyder win tomorrow. 

*Wow, my bad! I was indeed relying on the Trackwrestling team totals. I must be an  ******* to rely on Track. Track is horrible in so many ways. Let's add that one. 

BTW, where does one find the freestyle team race standings?

Edited by NJDan
to acknowledge my error

5 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Japan... are not 2nd. Where are you getting that from?

As for "Iraq is tied for fifth" ... 

He is probably looking at the overall (all 3 styles) teams scores put up on trackwrestling.  Also guessing he means Iran rather than Iraq.  

Edited by MadMardigain

33 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

That seems to happen often for the host country. Hmm, wonder why?

only coincidence only coincidence

they were just lucky 9 out of their 10 freestyle wrestlers were in the easiest quarter (or at least the easier half). nothing more. just pure luck lol

Hungary had such things in Greco last year. and that was also just coincidence.  and anybody who questions this is bad !! UWW is the cleanest organization in the world.

2 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

People are hanged, pictures are hung. He was right. 

God. You are dense. The premise was ignorant. My statement was also an attempt at adding ignorance.

Iraq hasn't scored a single point. He meant Iran.

Wow, my bad! I was indeed relying on the Trackwrestling team totals. I must be an  ******* to rely on Track. Track is horrible in so many ways. Let's add that one. 

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Wow, my bad! I was indeed relying on the Trackwrestling team totals. I must be an  ******* to rely on Track. Track is horrible in so many ways. Let's add that one. 

on the UWW website under "team rankings" or the wiki page 

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/world-championships-36?tab=team-rankings&weight-category=256ec694-d5f7-11e9-a9fd-080027548b1b

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_World_Wrestling_Championships

There is no such team race/title for "mixed" of all three categories, hence my confusion with this entire thread

Just now, NJDan said:

let's just say unless something crazy happens tomorrow it will be

1) RUS 2) KAZ 3) USA 4) IRN 5) GEO

still possible for USA to catch Kazakhstan but only if both Kazakh wrestlers fail in the repechage and USA wins 1 gold and 2 bronze medals.

Just now, wrestfan said:

let's just say unless something crazy happens tomorrow it will be

1) RUS 2) KAZ 3) USA 4) IRN 5) GEO

still possible for USA to catch Kazakhstan but only if both Kazakh wrestlers fail in the repechage and USA wins 1 gold and 2 bronze medals.

Thanks. This is still pretty crazy to see Kaz in second, right?

Just now, NJDan said:

no if you handpick the draw for almost the entire team

let's say I'm Kazakhstan and I want to pick the draw myself. we have 4 top seeds in each weight. let me go weight by weight

57) Sanayev was 4th seed. his place was fixed. OK I can place some random guys in this quarter, that leaves only Atli (and Micic) in top half. impossible to send Atli as the top seed to the bottom half.

61) out of 4 seeds, Okhlopkov and Aware are weaker. I pick Aware and send almost everybody else to the top half. seed 2 and 3 (Lomtadze and Aware) had to be in the bottom half, beside them the only notable name is Graff. I probably just missed him.

65) we have Bajrang, Tomor-Ochir, Turk with a long name and Otoguro as seeded. Tomor-Ochir is the best pick. I send everybody else to the bottom half. that left only Bajrang and Tomor-Ochir for Niyazbekov. he beat the Mongolian and the refs took care of Bajrang for him.

70) as 2nd seed I knew it will be Emami (3rd seed) in the semifinal. then I can send everybody to the top half. Kazakh only had to beat Australia and Great Britain to reach the semifinal where the refs took care of Emami for him.

74) hmmm, top 4 seeds look very strong. but Chamizo is much better than Kentchadze, it's hard to pick between Burroughs and Sidakov. in this case it's better to put my wrestler in the same quarter as Chamizo. he will go the final and brings Kaisanov back for the repechage. at very least he can qualify for the Olympics. to make sure the next best guy in his quarter draw is South Korea !!

79) Iran and USA are seeded in top half. I can send Russia. GEO and UZB to the top. there is only Hassanov left for the bottom half, I can put our guy with him. after all it won't be better than a bronze.

86) Deepak of India is the weakest seeded wrestler that's where my wrestler goes. we can send everybody else to the bottom half.

92) seeds for the bottom half look better. in top half we have Cox and Georgia. Cox is a sure thing to go to to the final. I put my wrestler next to him, that will secure at least a 5th place finish.

97) out of 4 seeds the Mongolian is much weaker than the rest. so we know where we should be. we send everybody to the top half. no problem with Sadulaev we can try for the bronze or at least a quota.

125) OK our guy sucks after all. let's show the world the draw was "fair" pair him with Russia.

and it was my wild imagination .... lol

7 hours ago, NJDan said:

7 hours ago, wrestfan said:

no if you handpick the draw for almost the entire team

let's say I'm Kazakhstan and I want to pick the draw myself. we have 4 top seeds in each weight. let me go weight by weight

57) Sanayev was 4th seed. his place was fixed. OK I can place some random guys in this quarter, that leaves only Atli (and Micic) in top half. impossible to send Atli as the top seed to the bottom half.

61) out of 4 seeds, Okhlopkov and Aware are weaker. I pick Aware and send almost everybody else to the top half. seed 2 and 3 (Lomtadze and Aware) had to be in the bottom half, beside them the only notable name is Graff. I probably just missed him.

65) we have Bajrang, Tomor-Ochir, Turk with a long name and Otoguro as seeded. Tomor-Ochir is the best pick. I send everybody else to the bottom half. that left only Bajrang and Tomor-Ochir for Niyazbekov. he beat the Mongolian and the refs took care of Bajrang for him.

70) as 2nd seed I knew it will be Emami (3rd seed) in the semifinal. then I can send everybody to the top half. Kazakh only had to beat Australia and Great Britain to reach the semifinal where the refs took care of Emami for him.

74) hmmm, top 4 seeds look very strong. but Chamizo is much better than Kentchadze, it's hard to pick between Burroughs and Sidakov. in this case it's better to put my wrestler in the same quarter as Chamizo. he will go the final and brings Kaisanov back for the repechage. at very least he can qualify for the Olympics. to make sure the next best guy in his quarter draw is South Korea !!

79) Iran and USA are seeded in top half. I can send Russia. GEO and UZB to the top. there is only Hassanov left for the bottom half, I can put our guy with him. after all it won't be better than a bronze.

86) Deepak of India is the weakest seeded wrestler that's where my wrestler goes. we can send everybody else to the bottom half.

92) seeds for the bottom half look better. in top half we have Cox and Georgia. Cox is a sure thing to go to to the final. I put my wrestler next to him, that will secure at least a 5th place finish.

97) out of 4 seeds the Mongolian is much weaker than the rest. so we know where we should be. we send everybody to the top half. no problem with Sadulaev we can try for the bronze or at least a quota.

125) OK our guy sucks after all. let's show the world the draw was "fair" pair him with Russia.

and it was my wild imagination .... lol

All week I've been thinking that they got dream draws.  I would not be surprised at all if it was hand picked, but it still blows my mind that these sort of things are allowed to happen.

7 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

USA 3rd place!!!

Iran 4th place 

GO USA!!!

Congrats on the 1 point lead in FS. Commiserations on the 57 point deficit to Iran in the other half of men's wrestling (Iran 4th... I can't be bothered to scroll far enough to find USA's rank there, sorry).