NJDan

Team Race is Crazy

4 hours ago, The Genius said:

Congrats on the 1 point lead in FS. Commiserations on the 57 point deficit to Iran in the other half of men's wrestling (Iran 4th... I can't be bothered to scroll far enough to find USA's rank there, sorry). 

Nobody in America cares about Greco, so it’s a hollow victory I’m afraid 

8 hours ago, NJDan said:

It would be like noting that we beat Iran by 50 in basketball.

We say this to comfort ourselves; but let's be honest with ourselves: we would "care" a lot more if we were good. 

Edited by maligned

Kazakhstan's men have often been Top 10 in greco, so their performance there wasn't that strange. Their women placed 6th this time and haven't been top 10 in a while. But they were top 10 as recently as 2013 and even finished 2nd in 2009. Those two results feel like pretty standard performances with the home mat boost that everyone gets.

The 2nd in freestyle is the aberration in my opinion and, as others have said, came because of them taking advantage of great draws. With average-level draws, I'm guessing they would have been in the 5-6th range.

One more thing: Usually the win/loss percentage is more predictive of team performance down the road than the "luck of the draw" UWW scoring system. You can rack up UWW points with easy draws that get you those "filler" 5th and 7th place positions where you actually went 1-2 or 2-2--losing all your matches against decent opponents. Winning percentage exposes those mediocre performances.

Comparing Kazakhstan to the US and others this year in terms of the more predictive statistic (winning percentage):

2. Kazakhstan: 25-15 (60%)

3. United States: 22-9 (71%)

4. Iran: 20-9 (69%)

5. Georgia: 18-10 (64%)

6. India: 18-10 (64%)

7. Azerbaijan: 16-11 (59%)

(Russia won 89% at 41-5 by the way, but they deserve their own category this year.)

Edited by maligned