balanceseeker

Cox vs. Sadulaev?

I am a big Ohio State fan and hope to see Kyle Snyder represent Team USA at the 2020 Olympics.  That said there is a very real possibility that we could see Cox move up and take the spot.  If this does happen is he a better matchup for Sadulaev stylistically?  Particularly interested in Cox's ability to defend leg attacks/scramble vs. The Russian Tank's offense.  

Edited by balanceseeker

5 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Cox would definitely beat Sadulaev, whereas Snyder is a 'maybe'.

I’m a big Cox fan. Jumped on the wagon hard. Love his defensive style, contrary to popular tastes. But “definitely”? Like how you were saying Snyder would “definitely” beats Sadulaev this year but didn’t even get to him? Nobody is anything better than a maybe against Sadulaev.

36 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I’m a big Cox fan. Jumped on the wagon hard. Love his defensive style, contrary to popular tastes. But “definitely”? Like how you were saying Snyder would “definitely” beats Sadulaev this year but didn’t even get to him? Nobody is anything better than a maybe against Sadulaev.

Seriously, in what world is Cox (or anyone, for that matter) a “would definitely” against Sadulaev?

Edited by pamela

I think we should see how Cox looks at 97 before making any predictions. Things change when you move weight classes. Cox is generally stronger than his opponents at 92 but probably won’t be at 97. He will have very little time to adapt. We all saw what happened to Sadulaev his first year. This is all assuming Cox even decides to go 97.  

Well, I do have to say that J'Den's performances over the last two years has definitely been on an upward trajectory. So, if he continues in this manner, who knows. He's obviously tremendously talented and who knows where his ceiling is. 

Next year, I do expect J'den to go up and challenge Snyder, and I have no idea on how that will work out, but it does appear that J'den has the wind at his back, where as Kyle may be at a plateau. 

4 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

No need to kick the man when he is down .  I still think snyder can beat Sadulaev.  The match between Cox and Sadulaev will hopefully not happen, as 86 is the best place for Cox.

3 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

No need to kick the man when he is down .  I still think snyder can beat Sadulaev.  The match between Cox and Sadulaev will hopefully not happen, as 86 is the best place for Cox.

86 is the best place for Taylor as well. No matter which weight he chooses, we’re losing a world champ.

22 minutes ago, CMickey92 said:

86 is the best place for Taylor as well. No matter which weight he chooses, we’re losing a world champ.

Unfortunately we will be losing at least 2 world champs from 74 through 97, unless Snyder moves up as NJDan suggested above.

9 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Unless Snyder goes up to 125...

If he can naturally fill out the weight well and be a decent sized heavyweight then I like the idea. Like another poster here said though, I’m afraid he might be a little short to fill out and do well against the best of the world. He’s already about as thick as they come as a 97.  

Cox is an amazing wrestler and athlete and has continued to improve since college. He’s a two time world champ and four time medalist. Even so I don’t like his chances versus Sadulaev. He’s a once in a generation phenom.

Here’s my prediction. Sadulaev dismantles Sharifov in today’s finals. This will give some indication of the gap that’s opened between him and Snyder. If this does happen it would be hard to see Cox as anything but a long shot. If that doesn’t convince you also note that it took Sad two years to come into his own at the higher weight class. He was not crushing the competition (that’s what I recall anyhow) his first go at the new weight. Granted Cox is bigger to begin with and has been wrestling at 92kg, but he was making weight at 86kg two years ago. Also note that his key competition at 92kg, Karimi, was himself an 86kg guy a few years ago. 

If all that doesn’t convince you, consider that 92kg is a non-Olympic weight and it isn’t populated with a full delight of hammers. Compare to 74kg where there were three world champs starting this tournament two of whom (JB and Chamizo) has won it twice already. Or 125kg with (at least) two world champs (Petro and Algul$

9 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I definitely agree with that and think that's where he goes. Makes so much sense. Snyder of course can beat Sadulaev, having done so already. But even as a huge fan, don't you think he's increasingly a dog? Looks to be on a decline, albeit from a lofty high.

1 hour ago, BigTimeFan said:

Cox is an amazing wrestler and athlete and has continued to improve since college. He’s a two time world champ and four time medalist. Even so I don’t like his chances versus Sadulaev. He’s a once in a generation phenom.

Here’s my prediction. Sadulaev dismantles Sharifov in today’s finals. This will give some indication of the gap that’s opened between him and Snyder. If this does happen it would be hard to see Cox as anything but a long shot. If that doesn’t convince you also note that it took Sad two years to come into his own at the higher weight class. He was not crushing the competition (that’s what I recall anyhow) his first go at the new weight. Granted Cox is bigger to begin with and has been wrestling at 92kg, but he was making weight at 86kg two years ago. Also note that his key competition at 92kg, Karimi, was himself an 86kg guy a few years ago. 

If all that doesn’t convince you, consider that 92kg is a non-Olympic weight and it isn’t populated with a full delight of hammers. Compare to 74kg where there were three world champs starting this tournament two of whom (JB and Chamizo) has won it twice already. Or 125kg with (at least) two world champs (Petro and Algul$

Sad went from 86 to 97. A 24lb jump. 92 to 97 is 11lbs. 92 to 86 is 13lbs.

17 hours ago, BigTimeFan said:

Didnt sharifov lose pretty badly last year to Karimi, last year, before moving up and beating Snyder. If he can do that, then I'd guess Cox would be able to, and be more competitive, since Cox is big for the weight, and has been better recently. I know that using anything other then head to head, is pretty much irrelevant, and Cox might still be a longshot, but could also be the most likely to dethrone Sadulaev. I think some people are putting to much weight on it being a non-olympic weight.

Edited by Molsen