balanceseeker

Cox vs. Sadulaev?

I don’t think I have ever seen Saudulaev wrestle anyone like Cox which is why it’s such a dream matchup for me. Of course you could say the same with Yazdani but I’m still more interested in the Cox Sadulaev matchup. I’m hoping he goes 97. 

On 9/21/2019 at 7:12 PM, pamela said:

Seriously, in what world is Cox (or anyone, for that matter) a “would definitely” against Sadulaev?

A world I wish we actually lived in, but obviously do not.

I do think I'd favor Cox over Snyder, but certainty in any of this is the province of fools.

The hypothetical comments are almost as bad as the homer comments. 

IMO Cox would be a better matchup for Sadulaev due to the fact that Cox can scramble better and his counter offense is pretty far superior to Snyder's. Saying that....I do believe that Cox would get huge wake up call in terms of strength at 97kg. Also...remember when you are discussing Sadulaev you are discussing without question one of the best on top offensive guys that anyone has seen on this Earth. If Cox would get taken down at 92kg (Hasn't happened much LOL) he doesn't have a real possibility to be turned by a 92kg opponent. If he would wrestle Sadulaev he would be taken down and have a very real possibility to be turned. Sadulaev's gut wrench is just gross. 

I would love to see a Sadulaev/Cox match. The scramble sequences within that match would be something to see.

I believe it would be something 4-0 or 5-0 for Sadulaev. 

I am interested to see how much longer Sadulaev wants to wrestle. Seems like a lot of modern Russian guys get out of the actual wrestling aspect of the sport much earlier than Americans. Wonder if Sadulaev wrestles in 2020 and then he's gone.....

Edited by MrDream

I would definitely like to see Snyder move up and take Gwiz's spot and Cox go up and take Snyder's spot.

I think this is ideal for our lineup. Can Snyder put on enough weight to not only take out Gwiz but compete with petrishivili (awful spelling attempt I know) and Taha? I don’t know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, along with others, think our best lineup aka the most team points comes from Snyder at 125, Cox at 97, and Taylor/Dake at 86 +Burroughs/Dake at 74. That is because Snyder can guarantee a medal and Gwiz cannot. However, Snyder is most assuredly going to be pursuing a second olympic gold medal at 97. I don't think anyone on this forum seriously thinks Snyder would bump up and take one for the team, especially when the Olympics do not have an official team race. 

54 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I, along with others, think our best lineup aka the most team points comes from Snyder at 125, Cox at 97, and Taylor/Dake at 86 +Burroughs/Dake at 74. That is because Snyder can guarantee a medal and Gwiz cannot. However, Snyder is most assuredly going to be pursuing a second olympic gold medal at 97. I don't think anyone on this forum seriously thinks Snyder would bump up and take one for the team, especially when the Olympics do not have an official team race. 

"Snyder can guarantee a medal" at 125.....Wow....

Welcome to America in 2019........

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Team points don't matter.  They don't give out a team gold medal, so who cares?  These guys are going to go a whatever weight is best for them.  No way do I see Snyder moving to 125 and Dake will go 74.

On 9/21/2019 at 12:27 PM, Plasmodium said:

Cox would definitely beat Sadulaev, whereas Snyder is a 'maybe'.

I  envision this very scenario all the time.  But dang it, something always seem to wake me up.

Edited by tbert
Forgot about the spell checkers on here

2 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

I'd bet decent money Snyder could medal at 125.

Based on what? 

He was just out-muscled by a dude that wrestled 92kg earlier this year. 

You think he could withstand the mass and strength from Geno, Akghul, Khizriev, Khotsianivskyi, Rakhimov, or Zhiwei? I don't see him ever weighing more than 105kg, I don't think he could withstand the pure size of the guys mentioned. 

Snyder wrestled Coon when Snyder weighed around 230...and it took everything in him to withstand the size for 7 minutes...and I hope we can all agree that Coon is no where near the guys previously mentioned in the realm of freestyle skill.....

Edited by MrDream

1 hour ago, MrDream said:

Based on what? 

He was just out-muscled by a dude that wrestled 92kg earlier this year. 

You think he could withstand the mass and strength from Geno, Akghul, Khizriev, Khotsianivskyi, Rakhimov, or Zhiwei? I don't see him ever weighing more than 105kg, I don't think he could withstand the pure size of the guys mentioned. 

Snyder wrestled Coon when Snyder weighed around 230...and it took everything in him to withstand the size for 7 minutes...and I hope we can all agree that Coon is no where near the guys previously mentioned in the realm of freestyle skill.....

That was two years ago when snyder was keeping his weight in check, you give Kyle a year in the weight room, eating and bulking, he medals.

3 hours ago, wildcatfan1992 said:

Team points don't matter.  They don't give out a team gold medal, so who cares?  These guys are going to go a whatever weight is best for them.  No way do I see Snyder moving to 125 and Dake will go 74.

Yes that's what I said, thank you for echoing my sentiment (and quoting it in your reply!)

11 hours ago, JBluegill133 said:

I think this is ideal for our lineup. Can Snyder put on enough weight to not only take out Gwiz but compete with petrishivili (awful spelling attempt I know) and Taha? I don’t know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I don't know if he would either(that's 28 pounds), but I think Snyder there would be a lot better than Gwiz right now.  Especially after this year's World Championships. 

I'm not at all sure Cox beats Snyder.  Everyone is just assuming it's his spot at either weight.  You know, David Taylor has grown into the weight, and was a toss-up when it was J'Dens natural weight.  He would be making a significant cut now.  As good as Cox is I put him at 60% winning either weight he goes at.  He is capable of losing to either one of them in my opinion, although I would favor him.

11 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Even if there was an Olympic team race, I'd be gobsmacked if any potential rep remotely entertained the idea of taking one for the team.  Nor would I expect Zadick to even mention it unless he legitimately believed it was Snyder's best chance at gold.

11 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

That was two years ago when snyder was keeping his weight in check, you give Kyle a year in the weight room, eating and bulking, he medals.

Why is everyone writing off Gwiz in a potential OTT final vs. Snyder?

Although I too would favor Snyder, I wouldn't be shocked if he lost, and I don't see him beating either Akgul or Petrarshvilli.

Why is everyone writing off Gwiz in a potential OTT final vs. Snyder?
Although I too would favor Snyder, I wouldn't be shocked if he lost, and I don't see him beating either Akgul or Petrarshvilli.
Yeah, as good as Snyder is, and he is one of the greatest American wrestlers of all time, he doesn't stand a chance against those two. Which puts him as a bronze medal potential depending on draw. So he is basically even with Gwiz in that regard. There's no logic in him moving to 125. Especially since the team race doesn't exist.

Also, as big a fan of J'den's as I am, I can't bring myself to call him any kind of favorite over Snyder. But I also don't get the comments about J'den not knowing the strength difference at 97. He's wrestled 97 in the past and has trained with Snyder this year. He knows what he'd be getting into if he goes up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well, I don't see SnyderMan will going up, it's not like he can just snap his fingers and put on 20 or 30 pounds of muscle, and even if he could, he would still be undersized. And even though SnyderMan beat Gwizz in the NCAA finals a few years ago, it doesn't mean that he can do so now. Additionally, Gwizz faced a very stiff challenge from Gable last year, and I believe that he will again. And along with Gable, there's  Cassar, who I believe will also join the fray. 

I think SnyderMan will stay at 97, and do his best to defend his World Team spot. And even if J'den does win, I think SnyderMan isn't the type to say oh well, I guess I'll just go 125. If you listen to what SnyderMan has been saying for the last year is that he wants a rematch with Saduleav, so I have to think that if he does lose to J'den, I fully expect SnyderMan to go off somewhere and make himself better, so he can come back and reclaim his spot. And ultimately get back on the mat with Saduleav. 

Edited by de4856
Additional Information

3 hours ago, de4856 said:

Well, I don't see SnyderMan will going up, it's not like he can just snap his fingers and put on 20 or 30 pounds of muscle, and even if he could, he would still be undersized. And even though SnyderMan beat Gwizz in the NCAA finals a few years ago, it doesn't mean that he can do so now. Additionally, Gwizz faced a very stiff challenge from Gable last year, and I believe that he will again. And along with Gable, there's  Cassar, who I believe will also join the fray. 

I think SnyderMan will stay at 97, and do his best to defend his World Team spot. And even if J'den does win, I think SnyderMan isn't the type to say oh well, I guess I'll just go 125. If you listen to what SnyderMan has been saying for the last year is that he wants a rematch with Saduleav, so I have to think that if he does lose to J'den, I fully expect SnyderMan to go off somewhere and make himself better, so he can come back and reclaim his spot. And ultimately get back on the mat with Saduleav. 

Once you lose at OTT, you obviously can't bump up or down to another Olympic weight, but can you still try to make the non-Olympic World team (e.g. can the loser of Dake/Burroughs try to make the World team at 79)?

Cox has wrestled Snyder in training.  Snyder has wrestled Gwiz during his 2 bronze medals.  For those saying Snyder couldnt place at 125, and its impossible for Cox to beat Sadulaev, something that Snyder has already done once, I think you would be surprised.