Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

India

Wow what a performance! India has been investing in wrestling for the part few years and they have completely jumped levels. They had their first junior freestyle champ in many years this year too. 

Women’s

Vinesh - just wow. She is very quick and moved her opponent’s around well. Her sneaky go behinds is a perfect low risk move for women’s Freestyle. She got smashed by Japan but other than that, she looked amazing. 

Dhanda - places 5th. Not sure how good she is but 5th even at a non Olympic is something to build off of. 

Mens free

Ravi - out of nowhere medals. Super impressive wrestling. Only loss was to now 2 time champ August and it wasn’t a blow out. Also decisively took out a former world champ and returning bronze, plus other high level guys. Weight is qualified 

Aware - in bronze match. Weak weight but still overperformed. 

Bajrang - dream draw but he earned that seeding. His semi was ridiculous. He wins that 9/10. Props for the bronze. Qualified the weight. 

Punia - this is the guy that bear Warner at junior worlds, won juniors this year and made the finals. He had a dream draw but still overperformed. He isn’t the second best guy, but still props for beating the grown men in front of him. Qualified the weight. 

That is 3 medals and possible a 4th! The US is in a similar spot with 3 medals and possibly 5. We have more finalists though. 

India also qualified 3 weights. That is very impressive. I’m really blown away by their improvements 

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Wow what a performance! India has been investing in wrestling for the part few years and they have completely jumped levels. They had their first junior freestyle champ in many years this year too. 

Women’s

Vinesh - just wow. She is very quick and moved her opponent’s around well. Her sneaky go behinds is a perfect low risk move for women’s Freestyle. She got smashed by Japan but other than that, she looked amazing. 

Dhanda - places 5th. Not sure how good she is but 5th even at a non Olympic is something to build off of. 

Mens free

Ravi - out of nowhere medals. Super impressive wrestling. Only loss was to now 2 time champ August and it wasn’t a blow out. Also decisively took out a former world champ and returning bronze, plus other high level guys. Weight is qualified 

Aware - in bronze match. Weak weight but still overperformed. 

Bajrang - dream draw but he earned that seeding. His semi was ridiculous. He wins that 9/10. Props for the bronze. Qualified the weight. 

Punia - this is the guy that bear Warner at junior worlds, won juniors this year and made the finals. He had a dream draw but still overperformed. He isn’t the second best guy, but still props for beating the grown men in front of him. Qualified the weight. 

That is 3 medals and possible a 4th! The US is in a similar spot with 3 medals and possibly 5. We have more finalists though. 

India also qualified 3 weights. That is very impressive. I’m really blown away by their improvements 

I agree. I think I did talk about few factors in one of the thread earlier on the reasons for India’s improvement in wrestling lately.

key factors - Increased funding from Govt and Private partners with an aim to improve medal count in Olympics, adoption of mat wrestling (freestyle) into local clubs at early age (apart from traditional mud wrestling), foreign coaches and training programs with Russia (few selected players like Bajrang and Sushil Kumar), Japan (women’s team spent some trading in Japan). Both men’s and women’s FS is improving very well, but Greco has long way to go

The original post where I explained these in detail - 

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/20997-india-wrestling/