NJDan

Mysterious non-Oly Redshirts

Probably the three most celebrated freesytlers in college are Spencer  Lee, Mark Hall and Gable Steveson. Apparently none  are taking an Olympic redshirt.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/September/20/2019-NCAA-All-Americans-expected-to-return-for-2020-season

A lot has been said about Lee. But why wouldn't Steveson take one?

10 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Steveson needs too.

Lee is doing it for the team, whether this is manipulation by the coaches or a wonderful gesture on his part i have no idea.

Hall isn't good enough to make the team by a large margin. 

Wow people seem to forget how good mark hall is at freestyle..believe he’s a 2 time junior world champ 1 time cadet and made the Olympic team trial quarters as a freshman in college, not saying he’s the favorite by any means but if his focus is on freestyle hall will absolutely be in the mix to make a team the next few years 

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Wow people seem to forget how good mark hall is at freestyle..believe he’s a 2 time junior world champ 1 time cadet and made the Olympic team trial quarters as a freshman in college, not saying he’s the favorite by any means but if his focus is on freestyle hall will absolutely be in the mix to make a team the next few years 

So is he gonna go 74 kilos which he said he'd never do again, and beat Dake and Burroughs, or is he gonna show up tiny for the weight and take out Taylor and potentially Cox?

I am perfectly aware of how good he is, he has no shot based on the current landscape.

Neither. He's going to hold out for 79 kg after a perfunctory entry into the OTT process knowing full well his best chance at a team is during an Olympic year when non-Olympic weights are vacated by the guys who would otherwise beat him. Hence, no need for a redshirt.

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Neither. He's going to hold out for 79 kg after a perfunctory entry into the OTT process knowing full well his best chance at a team is during an Olympic year when non-Olympic weights are vacated by the guys who would otherwise beat him. Hence, no need for a redshirt.

I agree I think that’s exactly what he ll do then after college probably make the move up to 86kg

44 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I agree I think that’s exactly what he ll do then after college probably make the move up to 86kg

Unless the Olympic weights change, I think Hall will be a career tweener, and not by choice. He’s not super tall and already at an age where most men stop growing. By comparison Valencia’s height has been listed over the years as 5’10” to 6’ and he looks way bigger than Hall. Taylor is around 6’2” or something. So, I’m not sure how much more Hall can fill out. Plus, even if he did add enough mass to be a comparable 86kg’er it would probably diminish his speed advantage. I don’t see it happening rn.

Edited by pamela

1 hour ago, pamela said:

Unless the Olympic weights change, I think Hall will be a career tweener, and not by choice. He’s not super tall and already at an age where most men stop growing. By comparison Valencia’s height has been listed over the years as 5’10” to 6’ and he looks way bigger than Hall. Taylor is around 6’2” or something. So, I’m not sure how much more Hall can fill out. Plus, even if he did add enough mass to be a comparable 86kg’er it would probably diminish his speed advantage. I don’t see it happening rn.

Hall is 5 ‘10 wrestling 174 Kyle Snyder is 5 11 and wrestling at 213...zahid and Taylor are both 6 even I’m sure he could put on 10 pounds of muscle with world class trainers without losing speed

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Hall is 5 ‘10 wrestling 174 Kyle Snyder is 5 11 and wrestling at 213...zahid and Taylor are both 6 even I’m sure he could put on 10 pounds of muscle with world class trainers without losing speed

Snyder is more like 5'8 or 5'9 really.  I got a picture with him at a dual meet once. I'm 5'11 or slightly taller, and he's at least 2 inches shorter than me.  I was actually surprised at how tall he really is.  

6 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

So is he gonna go 74 kilos which he said he'd never do again, and beat Dake and Burroughs, or is he gonna show up tiny for the weight and take out Taylor and potentially Cox?

I am perfectly aware of how good he is, he has no shot based on the current landscape.

Molinaro, Denis, And Jden has no chance to make the Olympic team last go around. 

17 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Molinaro, Denis, And Jden has no chance to make the Olympic team last go around. 

a) you are completely wrong, and making 3 ludicrous comparisons.

b)if you want to argue you have to actually have the courage to stand up for something, not just muddy the waters with vague non-sequiturs.  

5 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

b)if you want to argue you have to actually have the courage to stand up for something, not just muddy the waters with vague non-sequiturs.  

Molinaro was like the 9 seed at Olympic trials and no one predicted dan Dennis would make it and hall has a much more accomplished freestyle and folk style career then both of them 

12 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Molinaro was like the 9 seed at Olympic trials and no one predicted dan Dennis would make it and hall has a much more accomplished freestyle and folk style career then both of them 

I noticed you didnt have the will to respond to my initial post........

Molinaro was a long shot admittedly, but not a prohibitive underdog like Hall. Cox and Dennis where in deep wide open fields and came out on top. Plenty of people picked dennis. 

Are you ever gonna address my question about what weight hall is going to go and who he is going to beat? 

I clearly said I think he ll just go 79 try to win a world championship next yr then make his move up to 86 the year after ...all I’m saying is hall is dismissed in the 86 mix but he probably has a lot better odds then molinaro had going in.i am not expecting him to make the team but the guy is a world champ at multiple levels he’s lost to 2 people in college and he’s beaten both of them multiple times as well he’s definitely a guy you don’t sleep on .

15 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I clearly said I think he ll just go 79 try to win a world championship next yr then make his move up to 86 the year after ...all I’m saying is hall is dismissed in the 86 mix but he probably has a lot better odds then molinaro had going in.i am not expecting him to make the team but the guy is a world champ at multiple levels he’s lost to 2 people in college and he’s beaten both of them multiple times as well he’s definitely a guy you don’t sleep on .

He has no shot(figuratively and literally). This started because you claimed I had forgotten something I hadnt, you just hadn't thought about it.

Edited by hammerlockthree

One thing I've learned in all my years following this sport is that when two evenly sized men are wrestling on a large mat under the right lighting, they will look big and jacked no matter the weight class.  Then you'll see them in the hallway at NCAA's and realize that the wrestlers who strike fear into everyone's souls have the body size and proportions of horse jockey midgets.  David Taylor 6'2" LOL.  He's probably not even 6 feet tall, but next to all the no neck muscle trolls he looks tall and skinny.  These densely muscled wrestlers are, for the most part, way shorter and smaller than they appear on TV, especially when you're used to watching football which is completely the opposite.

4 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

You are forgetting one thing. Well several but thenmain thing is Dennis and the Tank had nobody very accomplished in their weight so it was much easier. 74kg and 86kg will be stacked with world champs and other elite guys.

5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Lol, I’d more confidently wager that Dennis AND Molinaro both make the the 2020 team when compared to Hall. He has horrible odds. And no his previous accomplishments are not relevant.  

11 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Lol at this attack

wuat was Jden’s seed? What was Molinaros? Denis? Or are you saying you picked these guys to make the team?

also really weird reason to call someone a coward but ok then. Little insecure buddy? You doin alright?