GoNotQuietly

Rank the World Champs p4p

Here's what I've got after some phenomenal performances, notably Rashidov and Sidakov being the class of the field for the tournament, imho.

1) Abdulrashid Sadulav 97kgs

2) Zaurbek Sidakov 74kgs

3) Gadzhimurad Rashidov 65kgs

4) J'Den Cox 92kgs

5) Hassan Yazdani-Charati 86kgs

6) Big Geno Petriashvili 125kgs

7) Kyle Dake 79kgs

8) David Baev 70kgs

9) Zavur Uguev 57kgs

10) Beka Lomtadze 61kgs

I feel like Cox is too low, but the two smaller Russians faced outstanding competition, and I must admit to not seeing all of Uguev and Lomtadze's matches throughout the tournament.

This is really tough...You could make arguments for the order of any of the 2-7 guys. Cox and Dake weren’t challenged but didn’t have the competition that others had. Same with Yazdani. It’s very debatable but here’s what I’d go with

1. Sadulaev 

2. Sidakov 

3. Petriashvilli

4. Rashidov

5. Cox

6. Dake

7. Yazdani 

8. Uguev

9. Baev 

10. Lomtadze 

I don't follow closely enough to make a great argument for this, but I hesitate to put any of the non-Olympic guys above the others - especially in this qualifying year. 

I'd simply take Eagle's list above and bump Yazdani and Uguev above Cox and Dake. It's not that I don't believe in our two gold-medalists, but I think their challengers were fewer. 

1 hour ago, jeffrideal said:

Dake should also be in top 4. Yazdani did not even win it last year and likely would have not had DT been wrestling.  No way is he over Dake in P4P. 

Yazdani has an Olympic gold, 2 World Championship golds, and a World Championship silver and bronze.  

Yes, DT beat him last year but Yazdani dominated at an Olympic weight.

15 minutes ago, jmachinder said:

I know this doesn't mean much, but I find it interesting.  Sadulaev beat Sharifov 4-0 this year.  Cox beats Karmi 4-0 this year.  Karimi beat Sharifov 7-0 last year at worlds.  

Lol you don't need to over complicate it, Cox already wrestled Sharipov twice and lost both times. They wrestled at 86 and 92. 

Sadulaev is number 1 for me but its hard for me to rank Sidakov, Yazdani, Uguev, Rashidov and Geno.

Yazdani has world medals from 70kg to 86 and is a 3 X champ but what gives me doubt in putting him at 2 is this current 86 class is weak and he could not beat Taylor. Sidakov and Uguev are both 2 X champs,  Rashidov  "only" has 1 gold but probably has the hardest weight. Geno has 3 but only really has to plan for one guy each year. 

No way is Cox above any of these guys considering we have seen him lose to multiple wrestlers and the weakness of 92. 

I'd say:

1 - Sadulaev

2 - Yazdani? Only because of the range of weights he has been successful in. I feel that matters in p4p. 

3  - Sidakov - only putting him above Rashidov because Rashidov has had two controversial wins now on his way to medals ( Khinch 2017, Aliyev 2019)

4 - Rashidov

5 - Uguev

6 - Geno

7 - Dake

8 - Baev

9 - Cox

10 - Lomtadze

That's just ranking the champs. I feel like some guys who didn't win this year deserve to be on here more than some of the champs. I would put Haji Aliyev and Jordan Burroughs over some of these guys in an overall list.

I really debated with where to put Yazdani and even considered him as #2 because I do think he is that good. However, everyone else I put above him has won it at least the last two years and he has not. Even though I think he would beat Taylor, he is 0-2 vs him while Dake and Cox have both beaten Taylor. He was also in the weakest of the Olympic weights. If Taylor is healthy he may not even be on the list.

It's hard for me to wrap my mind around 86kg in general. How can it be weak? Everyone puts their best guy there that weighs between 78 and 94kg--a really normal weight range for a man's size all over the world. Is it really "weak" or are Yazdani and Taylor just that good right now? I think it's a little bit of both, but I think we could be selling the weight short.

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

I really debated with where to put Yazdani and even considered him as #2 because I do think he is that good. However, everyone else I put above him has won it at least the last two years and he has not. Even though I think he would beat Taylor, he is 0-2 vs him while Dake and Cox have both beaten Taylor. He was also in the weakest of the Olympic weights. If Taylor is healthy he may not even be on the list.

Agreed that Yazdani is not a lock at 2 by any means but by the same logic Cox is 0 - 2 against Sharipov and Yazdani teched Sharipov. 

2 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

You have Rashidov above him and he did not win the past two years. Last year he lost in the final at 61kg to YBR.  Two years ago he lost in the finals to Haji Aliev.  I think Rashidov did best yazdani at junior worlds but maybe that was a different yazdani.  Iran has too many of them.  If it was the yazdani them I think it is something to consider.  

1 hour ago, maligned said:

It's hard for me to wrap my mind around 86kg in general. How can it be weak? Everyone puts their best guy there that weighs between 78 and 94kg--a really normal weight range for a man's size all over the world. Is it really "weak" or are Yazdani and Taylor just that good right now? I think it's a little bit of both, but I think we could be selling the weight short.

I'm not sure what the reason, but there is a real lack of depth at 86kg at the moment. Just look at the guys that made the semis this year... Reichmuth, Punia, Amine?  No offense to those guys, they all had great tournaments, but stack them up against the other Olympic weights and it's not particularly close.  

50 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

You have Rashidov above him and he did not win the past two years. Last year he lost in the final at 61kg to YBR.  Two years ago he lost in the finals to Haji Aliev.  I think Rashidov did best yazdani at junior worlds but maybe that was a different yazdani.  Iran has too many of them.  If it was the yazdani them I think it is something to consider.  

Was the same Yazdani but it was cadets, not juniors. They wrestled at 50kg I believe. 

5 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Sadulaev is number 1 for me but its hard for me to rank Sidakov, Yazdani, Uguev, Rashidov and Geno.

Yazdani has world medals from 70kg to 86 and is a 3 X champ but what gives me doubt in putting him at 2 is this current 86 class is weak and he could not beat Taylor. Sidakov and Uguev are both 2 X champs,  Rashidov  "only" has 1 gold but probably has the hardest weight. Geno has 3 but only really has to plan for one guy each year. 

No way is Cox above any of these guys considering we have seen him lose to multiple wrestlers and the weakness of 92. 

I'd say:

1 - Sadulaev

2 - Yazdani? Only because of the range of weights he has been successful in. I feel that matters in p4p. 

3  - Sidakov - only putting him above Rashidov because Rashidov has had two controversial wins now on his way to medals ( Khinch 2017, Aliyev 2019)

4 - Rashidov

5 - Uguev

6 - Geno

7 - Dake

8 - Baev

9 - Cox

10 - Lomtadze

That's just ranking the champs. I feel like some guys who didn't win this year deserve to be on here more than some of the champs. I would put Haji Aliyev and Jordan Burroughs over some of these guys in an overall list.

What's the rationale for Rashidov over Uguev?

You think Aliyev should be on there but in the past two years he lost to two other guys at worlds who aren't on there Valdez and Otoguro.  

6 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

What's the rationale for Rashidov over Uguev?

You think Aliyev should be on there but in the past two years he lost to two other guys at worlds who aren't on there Valdez and Otoguro.  

Just because Rashidov has 3 medals. Uguev has 2 golds but if I remember right he won his first gold because they awarded him a caution and one with only a few seconds left.  I think those guys are all interchangeable, only guy that I think is a lock is Sadulaev at 1. 

To be honest I'd only put Aliyev there above Lomtadze because he left a weight he had pretty much owned since 2014 worlds and won Euro games at 65 this year over a strong field. He gets good results at 65 in European tournaments generally it seems but yes you're right it hasn't happened for him at worlds so far. 

3 hours ago, Shiraz123 said:

Agreed that Yazdani is not a lock at 2 by any means but by the same logic Cox is 0 - 2 against Sharipov and Yazdani teched Sharipov. 

2 hours ago, Fishbane said:

These are both good points! I don’t really know anymore lol. For some reason I was thinking Rashidov won last year. He should probably be lower. I’ll just go with my original statement that 2-7 could pretty much be in any order!

52 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Just because Rashidov has 3 medals. Uguev has 2 golds but if I remember right he won his first gold because they awarded him a caution and one with only a few seconds left.  I think those guys are all interchangeable, only guy that I think is a lock is Sadulaev at 1. 

To be honest I'd only put Aliyev there above Lomtadze because he left a weight he had pretty much owned since 2014 worlds and won Euro games at 65 this year over a strong field. He gets good results at 65 in European tournaments generally it seems but yes you're right it hasn't happened for him at worlds so far. 

I forgot about the caution in the final last year that's a good point.  That caution was definitely was debatable.  I suppose there isn't much to separate Rashidov, Petriashvilli, Uguev, Dake, and Cox.  Dake and Cox have two titles but in non-olympic weights.  Uguev won somewhat controverstially last year, but it wasn't like Rashidov's sun was completely without controversy this yera. Petraishvili has won three titles in a row beating Akgul in the final each time, but he has also lost to Akgul three years in a row at the Europoean championships.

3 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

These are both good points! I don’t really know anymore lol. For some reason I was thinking Rashidov won last year. He should probably be lower. I’ll just go with my original statement that 2-7 could pretty much be in any order!

Rashidov maybe should have won last year.  He got thrown for 5 by YBR and YBR held on to win by 1.  YBR kind only wrestled the last 5-10 seconds of the first period and that was it, but he sure did a lot in those 5-10 seconds.

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

All over the world ex-Asia and South America, maybe. But even in that limited geography, the average guy would not be at that weight range were he to get in shape. 

I didn't mean it's the average size, but rather that it's very normal to find some fit men at that size in almost all nations.

13 hours ago, jeffrideal said:

Dake should also be in top 4. Yazdani did not even win it last year and likely would have not had DT been wrestling.  No way is he over Dake in P4P. 

I disagree, Yaz won an Olympic weight giving up 0 points and never wrestled into the 2nd period. He has destroyed everyone not named Taylor the last few years. Dake and Cox won non-Olympic weights with not nearly the depth or talent. Yaz blew through the repachage last year after DT beat him in the first round so who would have beaten him last year?