Jump to content
gowrestle

USA Trials Finalists

Recommended Posts

If you are asking in terms of byes, I think it will look like this:

57: no byes for anyone.  Will wrestle out the tournament and the top 2 will be in the final.  Assuming he can make this cut, would have been fascinating to see Graff get bronze so he would have a bye to the semis and would only have to win 1 match to get to the best-of-3 final.  

65: same

74: Burroughs will be sitting in the best of 3 final.  Dake will be sitting in the semifinal, so he will need to win 2 matches to get to Burroughs

Side-note:  I still have not seen on this bracket will look.  Will the top 2 seeds (besides Burroughs and Dake) be on the opposite side as Dake?  I think that's how it should be.... basically treat Dake as the top seed with a bye to the semis, so the next two best guys are like the 2 and 3 seed on the other side of the bracket. If they do it any other way, it will be extremely unbalanced. But there is nothing in USA Wrestling's official document to suggest that is how they are looking at it. 

86: Assuming J'den goes up, no byes for anyone.

97:  Snyder is sitting the best of 3 final.  Cox is sitting in the semifinals, so he will need to win 2 matches to get to Snyder.  Same side-note as above applies

125:  Wide open bracket

So it in interesting no weight will have just 1 Olympic medalist.... 74 and 97 will have 2 and the rest will have 0.

 

So to answer the original question:  definitely Burroughs and Snyder.  And those 2 will probably face Dake and Cox.  But other than that, it is pretty wide open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting twist to all this: the person who qualifies the weight for the Olympics (if it has been qualified prior to OTT...PanAms...) is automatically the #1 seed. So let’s say for example Imar goes to pan ams and he makes the finals. When it comes to OTT he’s the 1 seed, which side do they put Dake? Is it a flip, is it hashed out during the seeding meeting?? Or is it set first bye semi final goes top half, and if there’s a second it goes bottom half. I didn’t see that scenario played out in the procedures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Interesting twist to all this: the person who qualifies the weight for the Olympics (if it has been qualified prior to OTT...PanAms...) is automatically the #1 seed. So let’s say for example Imar goes to pan ams and he makes the finals. When it comes to OTT he’s the 1 seed, which side do they put Dake? Is it a flip, is it hashed out during the seeding meeting?? Or is it set first bye semi final goes top half, and if there’s a second it goes bottom half. I didn’t see that scenario played out in the procedures. 

74kg is already qualified (along with 97) so this example doesn't apply. There is a theoretical chance for 86kg though which hasn't qualified. So if Cox dropped to 86 and had a bye to the semis but someone else qualified the weight this situation would apply. Perhaps more interesting is who gets the nod at the Pan Am qualifier which is before OTT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Red95 said:

74kg is already qualified (along with 97) so this example doesn't apply. There is a theoretical chance for 86kg though which hasn't qualified. So if Cox dropped to 86 and had a bye to the semis but someone else qualified the weight this situation would apply. Perhaps more interesting is who gets the nod at the Pan Am qualifier which is before OTT.

Duh. As same for 97. Color me stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red95 said:

74kg is already qualified (along with 97) so this example doesn't apply. There is a theoretical chance for 86kg though which hasn't qualified. So if Cox dropped to 86 and had a bye to the semis but someone else qualified the weight this situation would apply. Perhaps more interesting is who gets the nod at the Pan Am qualifier which is before OTT.

Why wouldn't our top guy be the one sent to qualify the weight. Thus the guy who qualifies the weight would be the #1 seed anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Why wouldn't our top guy be the one sent to qualify the weight. Thus the guy who qualifies the weight would be the #1 seed anyhow.

It would be interesting to see. The initial thought is that the #1 guy on the ladder. But wouldn’t and interesting incentive be to state that the winner of the US open goes to the qualifier. Guys would be shuffled into their weights and incentive for the athletes to compete in the open and be the one to go and end up with that 1 seed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lurker said:

It would be interesting to see. The initial thought is that the #1 guy on the ladder. But wouldn’t and interesting incentive be to state that the winner of the US open goes to the qualifier. Guys would be shuffled into their weights and incentive for the athletes to compete in the open and be the one to go and end up with that 1 seed. 

Wouldn't the US Open winner be the #1 seed most likely, at least in weights without returning medalist. And won't people need to enter the open and place in order to make the WTT. I know there are other ways, but that's the  most likely way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4EFA85A9-B428-41B7-B5EF-B03DBDCB281F.thumb.jpeg.7971f0fee7363ae1354e34e89fc4b076.jpeg

I think it’s easier to understand when you see the sample bracket. Here’s what it would look like if two medalists of non-Olympic weights entered the same bracket. If there is only one in the weight, they enter the bottom semifinal.

Edited by Eagle26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Wouldn't the US Open winner be the #1 seed most likely, at least in weights without returning medalist. And won't people need to enter the open and place in order to make the WTT. I know there are other ways, but that's the  most likely way. 

The specific qualifications for the trials, and then there’s a specific seeding criteria for the trials. Head to head within the past year (defined as going back to ‘19 Open) could supercede someone being next open champ, so it’s not automatic open champ is 1 seed. However, if they were to put that twist in where open champ goes to pan Ams qualifier. 

Weights like 57, 65...that could be a big incentive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

4EFA85A9-B428-41B7-B5EF-B03DBDCB281F.thumb.jpeg.7971f0fee7363ae1354e34e89fc4b076.jpeg

I think it’s easier to understand when you see the sample bracket. Here’s what it would look like if two medalists of non-Olympic weights entered the same bracket. If there is only one in the weight, they enter the bottom semifinal.

That bracket works great if there are world medalists on both sides of the bracket.  It doesn't work at all with 1.  If you just cross out the world medalists on the top but keep the rest of the bracket the same, the 4 seed just has to beat the 5 seed and the 1 seed to make the final.  Meanwhile the 3 seed has to beat the 6, the 2, and the world medalist to make the final.  I think it's obvious that would be a terribly unfair setup.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like a better way to do it would have the non-olympic world champ in the 1 seed slot with byes to the semifinals. Then you draw the bracket normally for 2 through 7 seeds. If you want to go past 7 seeds, just skip 8 & 9 and put those people in where 10 and 11 would normally be drawn in. That way the 4/5 winner has to face the world champ and 2/3 wouldn't face the world champ until the finals of the challenge tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Red95 said:

It seems like a better way to do it would have the non-olympic world champ in the 1 seed slot with byes to the semifinals. Then you draw the bracket normally for 2 through 7 seeds. If you want to go past 7 seeds, just skip 8 & 9 and put those people in where 10 and 11 would normally be drawn in. That way the 4/5 winner has to face the world champ and 2/3 wouldn't face the world champ until the finals of the challenge tournament.

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...