Sign in to follow this  
lu1979

Countries Qualified for the Olympics

I thought I would summarize the counties that have qualified each weight for next years Olympic Games.

Qualified at each weight:

57 kg - Rus/Turk/Kaz/India/Serbia/Iran

65 kg - Rus/Kaz/India/Hungary/Mogl/Jap

74 kg -  Rus/Italy/USA/France/Jap/Kaz

86 kg - Iran/India/Rus/Switzld/San Marino/Colombia

97 kg - Rus/Azebjn/USA/Macedonia/Georgia/Kaz

125 kg - Georgia/Turk/Ukraine/Uzbekistan/Syria/China

Russia has 5 weights qualified - only missing heavyweight

Kazakhstan is next with four weights missing 86 kg & 125.

India qualified 3 weights 57, 65, & 86.

5 countries qualified two weights each (this does not count U of Michigan)

USA 74 & 97  - Iran 57 & 86  -  Turkey 57 & 125  - Japan 65 & 74  and   Georgia 97 & 125   

There are 14 countries that only qualified one weight - this includes strong wrestling power Azerbaijan 86kg,  and good wrestling countries Mongolia 65kg, Ukraine 125kg, Uzbekistan 125 kg, Hungary - 65kg, China, 125 kg,  and countries that usually are not heard from Serbia 57 kg, Italy 74 kg, France, 74kg, Switzerland, 86 kg, San Marino 86 kg, Colombia, 86kg, Macedonia, 97Kg, and Syria 125kg.

Of interest to USA fans Cuba and Canada failed to qualify anyone.  Colombia's 86 kg 5th place was the only qualifier from the Pan am region other than the 2 USA guys.  This will make it a bit tougher to get those weights qualified for Tokyo.

Edited by lu1979
3 to 2

That entry at 86 for San Marino is quite interesting.  Colombia also.  

I'm thinking that we will qualify 86 and 125 for sure.  I'm not as optimistic about 57 and 65.   I surely hope so though.

mspart

7 hours ago, mspart said:

That entry at 86 for San Marino is quite interesting.  Colombia also.  

I'm thinking that we will qualify 86 and 125 for sure.  I'm not as optimistic about 57 and 65.   I surely hope so though.

mspart

There is one detail that may be critical in determining who qualifies for the Olympics.  In the past the Regional tournaments would have random draws and no true 2nd would be wrestled.  If the 2 best guys were put on the same side of the bracket one of them is out of luck.  Is that how it will be in 2020?  I am guessing it will be.   

18 hours ago, lu1979 said:

There is one detail that may be critical in determining who qualifies for the Olympics.  In the past the Regional tournaments would have random draws and no true 2nd would be wrestled.  If the 2 best guys were put on the same side of the bracket one of them is out of luck.  Is that how it will be in 2020?  I am guessing it will be.   

Qualifiers will seed and separate top two.  

At 57 and 65 particularly the Pan Am Qualifier is huge.  I really don't think we want to have to go to Bulgaria to qualify those two weights.  Will be a huuuuuuge task.