Sign in to follow this  
bnwtwg

Yarygin 2020

Now that the 2019 senior season has wrapped up, it's time to look ahead to 2020! Given the US domestic calendar of events this year, will our top competitors be heading to Yarygin again this year? Do we see some guys test the waters at potential Olympic weights? Do we get a preview of Sadulaev/Cox/Snyder? 

I have not thought about this.  But we should for sure send our guys there.  Multiple in each weight if that is permitted.  So that we have a Cox Snyder thing and other matchups.  This would be very interesting.  It would be nice if they did the Dave Schultz that way too.

mspart

Figured I’d bump.

Since it isn’t a ranking event and it’s close to the Rome tournament, most of our #1 guys will probably be absent. That said, I’m hoping some of our top athletes jump on this opportunity for experience. Would love to see Nickal at 86 for instance. 

2 hours ago, AZ_wrestling said:

Figured I’d bump.

Since it isn’t a ranking event and it’s close to the Rome tournament, most of our #1 guys will probably be absent. That said, I’m hoping some of our top athletes jump on this opportunity for experience. Would love to see Nickal at 86 for instance. 

IIRC, in an interview a good year or so ago (can't find it now), Bo said he was going up to 97 for the 2020 run. Now in a recent interview (posted below) Bo said he'll start his mma career shortly after the Olympics and he said he'll probably start fighting at 185lbs, which is very close to 86kg. 

Wow, we might see Taylor's training partner (Bo) in the same bracket at Trials at a sold out Rec Hall? Or does Bo make his Olympic run at 97 and try to knock off the new NLWC member (Snyder) sitting in the best of 3 finals? 

And of course, what about J'den, who will be sitting in either 86 or 97 semis? Are we really going to see J'den, Taylor and Bo all in the same bracket at 86?

As far as Yarygin, looks like it might be a down year for talent but maybe not. We'll see. Here's Bo's somewhat recent interview:

I still think Bo is avoiding DT by wrestling 97 kg while being so light (assuming he still decides to do so), but pretty much every wrestler who jumps into MMA will fight a weight class lower than their wrestling weight. MMA weigh-ins are not only day before, but more like 1.5 days or more before now. MMA has the best weigh-in recovery window in all combat sports. 

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I still think Bo is avoiding DT by wrestling 97 kg while being so light (assuming he still decides to do so), but pretty much every wrestler who jumps into MMA will fight a weight class lower than their wrestling weight. MMA weigh-ins are not only day before, but more like 1.5 days or more before now. MMA has the best weigh-in recovery window in all combat sports. 

I am okay with him avoiding DT.  New blood to challenge Snyder would be welcome by me.

If you include Bo in the mix there and slot him in at the two behind Snyder. The Three(Macch), Four(Zillmer, and Five(Moore) have all had precisely nothing for Nickal all within the last year.

Has he wrestled Gadson or Waltz? No. Nobody aside for Snyder is sniffing Nickal, aside for Cox if Cox goes 97 as well.