Jon_Kozak

Perspective on Worlds

I know my expectations were higher for USA at Worlds this year. However, this was the 4th best finish for the team since 2008. USA freestyle wrestling is better from 2015-2019 than they were 2008-2014.

Russia had a better than average performance. In 2010 they had all 7 wrestlers medal (4 Golds, 2 silvers, 1 Bronze)...that might be the only better year since 2008. However I think 5 Golds, 1 Silver, and 3 Bronze (with 1 DNP from a backup) this year is a little more impressive.

Iran also had a slightly better performance this year than 17 and 18. What they accomplished this year - 1 Gold, 1 Silver, and 2 Bronze is more indicative of where they've been historically. 

Much more detail on my research via the link below-if you're into that stuff...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NImcKBCtXYITUVjq35uxACRaVRQ5VyE0RgslDK1FmKY/edit?usp=sharing

946754852_ScreenShot2019-09-23at11_38_05AM.png.c417245c21d53bdc4a4b1179d992e69b.png

Edited by Jon_Kozak

6 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

The record is staggering - they've averaged 5.3 losses a year. What's also not included is the 6 golds, 1 bronze performance in 2007 in Baku - which means they lost ONE match in that entire tournament. 

That’s so crazy

Well my perspective on these World's is that I was a little disappointed at first, but after the dust settled, I think about the years past when we didn't win any medals, so in that light, I think that we can say that this tournament was pretty good. Both for our MFS, and WW. 

I know that I as a fan, that I have become a little spoiled since Burroughs arrived on the scene in 2011, and then with SnyderMan joining him in 2015, giving us a one, two punch. Also adding to my spoiledness is the fact we had a very successful 2017, and 2018. 

Lastly, I have to say that in these last two years, Russia has really turned it up a notch, and It makes me wonder what they're doing differently. 

Edited by de4856
Additional information