Sign in to follow this  
77again

Note to Andy Hrovat, and other aspiring commentators

Let me start by saying that I am a former wrestler and huge fan. I have no desire to be a commentator and I admire those who do it.

Now, Andy Hrovat, you are a great story teller and a very well spoken person but you need to constantly remind yourself this. The wrestlers and matches are the show, not you. You constantly are telling stories during the World Championships, which is fine when an unknown wrestler from Tajikistan is getting tech'd by an unknown wrestler from Finland.

When Jordan Burroughs is in a wild scramble in a match he is in danger of losing, PLEASE, talk about the match and not when you were coaching some little kids long ago. This happened over and over and over.  Your commentating partner (who I can't remember his name, but did a decent job) actually interrupted your stories a couple times by saying "Sorry to interrupt but that was a great move" referring to a wild match going. You would maybe make a short comment about the match and then fall right back into your unrelated story. At one point during a gold medal match (I believe Kyle Dake's final) your partner said "now let's try to focus on the match" while you were telling yet another story. It gives the viewing audience the impression that the match is boring or unimportant. Not good.

When any American wrestler is on the mat, or even one of the big names from some other country, talk about the match, the technique, their wrestling accomplishments, or the history between the competitors. Not your trip to Moscow 15 years ago.     

Ditto.   Hrovat is a very knowledgable guy, but focus on the wrestling in front of you (and, more importantly, in front of those of us who paid 30 dollars to watch it).  There is a time down the road for you to be a grandfather on the porch with tales of yore, but not during the World Championships.

Thanks.  Mirikitani seemed to have a good handle on the scoring process and also how the Olympic Trials procedures work and the seeding lays out. 

I must say that I got a big kick out of Andy Hrovat saying that he treated himself to a vacation after his divorce was final. You just don't ever hear commentators bring up that kind of personal stuff. Gave me a good laugh.