Sign in to follow this  
lu1979

USA depth for Olympic Weights

The US has a very deep bench for FS wrestling now.  I would expect that each weight will probably have 10 to 14 wrestlers qualify for the Olympic trials tournament.  There will be quite a few good wrestlers who don't make it to the tournament.  I am going to lay out some weights with a list of guys who will be contending for the tournament spots.  Most guys I have just taken an edjucated guess at they will compete. A few guys I have put in multiple weights - obviously they will be picking one soon.

Weight 57kg

Weight 65kg

Weight 74kg

D Fix

Z Retherford

J Burroughs

S Lee

Y Diakamaholis

K Dake

T Gilman

J Oliver

I Martinez

N Garret

F Molinaro

M Hall

T Graff

J Eierman

M Lewis

J Colon

J McKenna

J Nolf

N Megaludis

B J Futrell

J Green

Nato

J Chamberlain

D Carr

D Cruz

S Gross

C Martstellar

V Arrujau

D Demas

Vi Joseph

N Suriano

A Pico

A Marinelli

Z Sanders

D Heil

Log Massa

J Rodriguez

M Kolodzik

R Deakin

Z Richards

B Sorenson

H Hidlay

J Mueller

K Storr

T Gant

J Delgado

J Ness

A Valencia

F Perelli

Cory Clark

Weight 86kg

Weight 97kg

Weight 125kg

J Cox

K Snyder

N Gwizdowski

D Taylor

J Cox

G Steveson

A Deringer

Bo Nickal

M Parris

Z Valencia

K Gadsen

A Coon

Bo Nickal

Ty Walz

D Bradley

P Downey

A Cassar

T Nelson

N Heflin

G Kerklievet

J Varner

K Moore

K Moore

A Cassar

S Brooks

J Kasper

G Kerklievet

M Machiovell

P Brucki

J Woods

M Martin

T Sloan

T Hall

T Hidlay

Z Elam

B Telford

A Brooks

J Warner

Hemida

H Zilmer

AJ Ferrari

D White

N Reenan

N Nevills

M Dean

D Foster

N Jackson

L DePrez

L Davison

There is a lot of talent in those lists that won't make it into the Olympic trials tourney.  I am sure I missed/overlooked some wrestlers who deserve to be mentioned.  Can't wait to follow the drama.

19 minutes ago, scribe said:

I’d stick Amine in there at 7th. Lower than he placed at worlds. 

Well that would be harsh to put him below Downey.  I mean he did just beat the guy who teched PD3.

1 hour ago, PSUMike said:

Can probably add Abounader to team USA after the BS this weekend. 

Abounader really got screwed by that move by Lebanon.  He had an incredibly lucky draw if you don't consider the Israel boycott crap.  Abounader would have had a great shot at making the finals on that side of the bracket had he been allowed to compete.  Does anyone have any info on how they made him forfeit?  Couldn't he just say screw it and go out and wrestle without the coach or support of the Lebanon wrestling organization?  It's not like he is an Iranian - he doesn't have to go back there and live in Lebanon.   If I were to add him in that list (can he compete for the US now?) I think he would be in the top 10 to 15 area.

3 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Abounader really got screwed by that move by Lebanon.  He had an incredibly lucky draw if you don't consider the Israel boycott crap.  Abounader would have had a great shot at making the finals on that side of the bracket had he been allowed to compete.  Does anyone have any info on how they made him forfeit?  Couldn't he just say screw it and go out and wrestle without the coach or support of the Lebanon wrestling organization?  It's not like he is an Iranian - he doesn't have to go back there and live in Lebanon.   If I were to add him in that list (can he compete for the US now?) I think he would be in the top 10 to 15 area.

He was scheduled to take a trip to Lebanon with his family after the Worlds. They have property and relatives there. Lebanon's wrestling organization is basically just one guy in an office. They didn't do much, if anything, to work with Dom. I feel bad for the guy. When I interviewed him in April, he said he was very proud of his family heritage and trying to help create a sports legacy, but it was a major pain. I hope he can find some type of opportunity and get a transfer waiver or something (if such a thing exists). 

5 hours ago, Graverobber said:

Should he be listed in this list? Then also micic should be listed in 57kg

No he would not be on the list as long as he is competing for another country - Scribe was just saying where he would be IF he was wrestling for the USA.  

13 minutes ago, Keisha_Phillips said:

Pantaleo is going 65kg, it will be interesting to see how he does.

How? How can he make 65kg?

Jokes aside... Pantaleo is a very Italian name. He looks very Italian...

On 9/23/2019 at 11:16 PM, lu1979 said:

Reading between the lines, I think he was fearful of repercussions for the family he still has there. 

On 9/24/2019 at 2:56 AM, JasonBryant said:

He was scheduled to take a trip to Lebanon with his family after the Worlds. They have property and relatives there. Lebanon's wrestling organization is basically just one guy in an office. They didn't do much, if anything, to work with Dom. I feel bad for the guy. When I interviewed him in April, he said he was very proud of his family heritage and trying to help create a sports legacy, but it was a major pain. I hope he can find some type of opportunity and get a transfer waiver or something (if such a thing exists). 

I couldn’t disagree more, he wrestled for Lebanon because he virtually had no shot at making the American team. Imo he shouldn’t ever get a chance to wrestle for team USA. He chose to represent a country with questionable politics and it bit him in the ass. But we should feel bad for him? I don’t think so 

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I couldn’t disagree more, he wrestled for Lebanon because he virtually had no shot at making the American team. Imo he shouldn’t ever get a chance to wrestle for team USA. He chose to represent a country with questionable politics and it bit him in the ass. But we should feel bad for him? I don’t think so 

Quit being a chump.

The Russians are exporting left and right nowadays. The only other country that can come close to their depth is us. We need to export when and where we can to try to bump some of their toons off.

Unless you'd rather have US folks have truly one rep where the Ruskies have 8 or 9, because that is the path they're taking.