TBar1977

Flo 2019-2020 College Rankings

1 hour ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Just a note: NBCUniversal (parent company of TrackWrestling, by the way) is charging $200 for the Rugby World Cup, which is definitely not a yearly subscription. Flo is hardly the only company that charges a lot of money for content.

Oh, and BTW, Flo's $150 gets you access to ALL of Flo's material, for all sports. Not just wrestling.

After tax, title, plate transfer and license fees it's more like $170 something.  Not everyone wants to watch or has time to watch other sports. It behooves FLO to offer a monthly plan.

1 hour ago, ugarte said:

pretty obvious to me that they had a monthly model and found that people were using it to dip in and out - especially during conference tournament season - like it was event pricing and it was terrible for the bottom line. they have annual subscriptions because there really aren't that many casuals but there are a lot of people who would choose a cheaper short-term option if it's available, but if it isn't will pay for the year and just watch more stuff. That certainly would have described me two years ago.

Yup

3 hours ago, treep2000 said:

My two cents as a tOSU fan, on the tOSU lineup:

125 - Heinselman (20th).  Rumor has it that he has put on a little bit of size.  Any size at all is going to help him, given his diminutive stature last year, getting horsed around by the bigger guys.  From a technique perspective, I think he's top notch.  He just needs the strength to accompany it.  I think he's probably a R12 guy, unless he got on NaTo's lifting regimen.  If so, low AA potential (and I mean the word potential).

133 - Pletcher (4th).  Ranked just about right.  Below who he should be below, ahead of those he has beaten.  

141 - KeyShawn (13th).  Seeing Keyshawn back at 141 is going to be a trip.  I hope this weight class allows him to open up a bit more.  for a light middleweight, he "lumbers" more than anyone.  However, when he does commit to his offense, he's quite proficient and prolific.  Just wish he did it more.  I think we'll see KeyShawn rise fairly quickly, and he'll be an AA threat at the end of the season.

149 - Sasso (5th).  I think he's ranked about right, especially after having a really nice RS season.  If his gas tank hold up, and he's in "good" shape, he has the skill set and capability to win it.  If his gas tank fails, like against Brayton Lee in FS, then he could have a VERY rough NCAA tourney. 

157 - No one ranked.  I have to assume that Jaden Mattox will be taking the spot here?  If so, I expect him to lose some matches that he's supposed to lose, win those that he supposed to win, and pull an upset or two along the way.  

165 - Romero (25th).  Unfortunately, I think this is about right.  He still hasn't seemed to come into his own, and has all the talent and athletic ability.  If Kharchla pushes him (or breaks him) in the room, it will either allow him to rocket up the rankings, or he'll be mediocre at the collegiate level (at best).

174 - Smith (13th).  I think it's about right to rank him here at the beginning of the season, but I do think that he'll slowly rise throughout the season.  I project a low AA potential for Smith, but that means some mild upsets from losses he took last season.

184 - Hoffman (16th).  Without much data, this is a fair preseason ranking.  However, by the end of the season, I could definitely see Hoffman sitting around the 7th-10th range.  Low AA potential this season.  Keyword... potential.

197 - Moore (1st).  Kollin brings it home this year.  :-)

HWT - Singletary (10th).  Very fair preseason ranking.  I could see him rise slightly.  The top tier of HWT's are on a different level.  Chase will be better served at 197 next year, and should have much greater success (as denoted by his offseason FS performances at the lower weight).

Overall, the tOSU preseason ratings seem very fair.

Great stuff. It is generally fair, but I think you are actually underestimating some guys. Seeing as they are your #1 team,  that is pretty impressive 

125 - Heinselman is super high level on his feet. He was too physically immature last year. I bet he AAs this year. It isn’t just the lifting. He wasn’t fully grown last season. The only concern I have is his bottom work, but that may have been due to his size. Put it this way -  I think the top 4 dominate him (Lee, Mueller, Picc, Rivera), 2 are favorites but he has a chance (Glory, Foley) and the rest he is on par with but he could take a loss depending on the style matchup. By his senior year I expect he will be a consistent top 6ish guy at least. 

141 - Hayes is a title contender. His top wrestling will five guys like Nick Lee problems. Demas too. If he can open up a bit on the feet at his weight, he can win the whole thing. 

149 - title contender, but I see your point. 

174 - this class is much weaker. Only 1 of last year’s top 5 returns at this weight (Hall) and he could shirt. Smith is easily on par with the 6-8 range. I think he is likely to AA and will be seeded to do so 

14 minutes ago, jon said:

Oh wow look at that. When there's discussion of Flo pricing, more voices chime in. Go figure!

why don't you start a thread on flo's pricing so there's a place to talk about it instead of complaining about flo's priciing in every thread about an event flo is showing. hell, make it two threads: one in college and one in international.

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Great stuff. It is generally fair, but I think you are actually underestimating some guys. Seeing as they are your #1 team,  that is pretty impressive 

125 - Heinselman is super high level on his feet. He was too physically immature last year. I bet he AAs this year. It isn’t just the lifting. He wasn’t fully grown last season. The only concern I have is his bottom work, but that may have been due to his size. Put it this way -  I think the top 4 dominate him (Lee, Mueller, Picc, Rivera), 2 are favorites but he has a chance (Glory, Foley) and the rest he is on par with but he could take a loss depending on the style matchup. By his senior year I expect he will be a consistent top 6ish guy at least. 

141 - Hayes is a title contender. His top wrestling will five guys like Nick Lee problems. Demas too. If he can open up a bit on the feet at his weight, he can win the whole thing. 

149 - title contender, but I see your point. 

174 - this class is much weaker. Only 1 of last year’s top 5 returns at this weight (Hall) and he could shirt. Smith is easily on par with the 6-8 range. I think he is likely to AA and will be seeded to do so 

As a fan of the sport first, and then a fan of the individuals second, and then fan of the team third, I tend to be conservative in my "bandwagonishness".  

I do get behind those that I believe have utmost potential.  I'm a diehard Kollin Moore fan.  Just like his style, his personality.  Just a "good dude".  

So... I wouldn't call it underestimating, just more about being "realistic".  Why?  But of course you know this answer... "wrestling is hard".

13 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

As a fan of the sport first, and then a fan of the individuals second, and then fan of the team third, I tend to be conservative in my "bandwagonishness".  

Rare breed!

Guys no more complaining I got someone to post all the flo rankings. https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Rankings/College-Rankings/2019/September/25/FloWrestling-Rankings-Sept-23?fbclid=IwAR3vof1EYek_hSugzHtpH9usdQis2WWvKHUywxcSKF236Z5dvtNBRhzHqJ4

USA WRESTLING BABY THANKS FOR NOT MAKING ME BUY A FLO SUBSCRIPTION TO VIEW RANKINGS!!!! 

15 hours ago, jon said:

Oh wow look at that. When there's discussion of Flo pricing, more voices chime in. Go figure!

So you and him can both read Craig Sesker articles like when he didn’t know Iowa and Oklahoma State were wrestling. 

You keep saying Flo isn’t growing the sport. They are literally the biggest reason the sport is growing. You can watch college, high school, and international tournaments weekly. Coaches get technique to help develop wrestlers. Young athletes get to watch guys who can be their role models. But yea $150 is too much for all these benefits. 

Paywall with yearlong lock-in questionable as a means for growing the sport. You think the sport would not grow at all? would not grow so much? in the absence of Flo? 

Podcasts. YouTube. Numerous social-media products. Myriad social-media accounts. This 'growth factors' list not exhaustive.

The course of any discussion depends on how one defines the term 'growth'. I myself am talking about newcomers, new fans, new butts in seats. I bet, too, that this is the popular definition. There's others though -- e.g., someone from Flo argues Flo helps for sustaining interest, for retaining fans.

My opinion: It's one thing for Flo to put its 'boutique' products--e.g., films, rankings, technique--behind paywall + lock-in. Feels weird, in my opinion, for tentpole events such as Trials to be behind paywall + lock-in. [One counterpoint to the prior sentence is that before long USAW matches get posted to YouTube?]

This post from me is non-aggressive. Please let's not sling mud today.

Edited by jon

Well that's gotta be true, Tbar. Afterall few know better than you about how to do repetitive. 16.4K posts! Buzz off, man. Nobody forcing you to respond... If """incredibly repetitive""" is justification for one to be uncouth then anyone here can target almost everyone here... You speak as if you want to curb nuisance discussion but you partake and you escalate. I'll say it again: 16.4K posts!

And--no--I don't hate Flo. I hate Flo shortcomings. Prior sentences repetitive. But when you misstate, I'm obliged to make correction.

Let's now talk again about copyright lol.

Edited by jon

1 hour ago, chestcrusher said:

So you and him can both read Craig Sesker articles like when he didn’t know Iowa and Oklahoma State were wrestling. 

You keep saying Flo isn’t growing the sport. They are literally the biggest reason the sport is growing. You can watch college, high school, and international tournaments weekly. Coaches get technique to help develop wrestlers. Young athletes get to watch guys who can be their role models. But yea $150 is too much for all these benefits. 

This again? We've hashed this out. There is no evidence that suggest Flo is growing the sport. Flo is great at what they do, but they are not "growing the sport." 

36 minutes ago, jon said:

Well that's gotta be true, Tbar. Afterall few know better than you about how to do repetitive. 16.4K posts! Buzz off, man. Nobody forcing you to respond... If """incredibly repetitive""" is justification for one to be uncouth then everyone here can target almost anyone here... You speak as if you want to curb nuisance discussion but you partake and you escalate. I'll say it again: 16.4K posts!

Um so? Who cares? Why are you so self righteous?

Start a new thread instead of hijacking every other one.

Just now, russelscout said:

Um so? Who cares? Why are you so self righteous?

Start a new thread instead of hijacking every other one.

My first post today comes in response to someone else's. You're allowed to write responses but I'm not? You, too, make posts here that serve to hijack the thread. Please let's disengage ASAP. I don't want to be the one with whom you bicker today.

5 hours ago, jon said:

My first post today comes in response to someone else's. You're allowed to write responses but I'm not? You, too, make posts here that serve to hijack the thread. Please let's disengage ASAP. I don't want to be the one with whom you bicker today.

You deviated from a discussion about rankings and your petty flo crusade to attempt to "win" an arguement by ripping on how many posts the guy has made. Dont be a tool. For someone who supposed to be just supporting open discussion, you pretty quickly get defensive when someone actually criticizes your stance.

Not defensive. It's clear like day that you like to bicker. I want to not get sucked in.

Flo crusade not just mine. Flo crusade not a crusade. Hyperbole serves no good.

Please let's disengage. Last word yours if you like.

Edited by jon

7 minutes ago, jon said:

Not defensive. It's clear like day that you like to bicker. I want to not get sucked in.

translated: "I'm going to discredit you for the way you have acted in the past. That way I am totally justified in acting like as @$$ now" Brilliant!